• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Grill Bill: Bill says enjoy the ride

Jeremy Igo

6 minutes ago, Bartin said:

You can’t really compare the two situations. Brady had just gone 16-0 and led the greatest offense of all time. If this situation was happening in 2016 we would not be treating it the same way we are now because Cam would have been coming off an MVP 15-1 year.

Correct. You can't take that context out of the equation.

The most recent evaluations that we have on Newton would fall under the category of "good, but limited". He performed well through the first eight games last year but it was still pretty obvious that something was wrong. This preseason, it didn't even get that far. Now there's concern about him possibly being fragile.

Yeah, I know. "He's Superman". Except he isn't.

He may be an athletic freak, but athletic freaks are still human.

59 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Emmitt Smith, Brett Favre and many others all wound up being let go from the teams they were iconically tied to.

It may or may not happen to Cam Newton, but believing that it's totally impossible is incorrect.

Montana was out for 2 full seasons with Young playing at literally an MVP level in his stead.  Manning injury sidelined him for a whole season and they had can't miss prospect Luck waiting in the draft.  Farve "retired" with Rodgers sitting behind him. Cowboys were rebuilding.

10 minutes ago, ItsJustMe said:

I mean he’s right.  When Brady went down with an injury and Cassel came in and went ham on defenses and carrried the team, you didn’t hear about any debates from their fan base about who they would want to keep playing...

On the flip side the Brees and Brady comparisons really don't apply either because, as unfair as it may be to an individual player on a a team playing 50+ people, the teams had significant success with them before the injury (NFC Championship Game, Super Bowl Appearance respectively).

Yes there is the playing through injury aspect which is why we're bombarded with "100% healthy Cam".

Yet another thread about it will certainly settle this discussion once and for all. :eyeroll:

Those who talk about "player only" fans and "emotional attachments" seem to want to drag this discussion out as much as anyone else. The above the fray commentary is laughable.

To stop making threads about it would be a start. But then you would actually have to address the trolls that keep initiating this topic.

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Montana was out for 2 full seasons with Young playing at literally an MVP level in his stead.  Manning injury sidelined him for a whole season and they had can't miss prospect Luck waiting in the draft.  Farve "retired" with Rodgers sitting behind him. Cowboys were rebuilding.

And Newton is battling injury with what might be an emerging player behind him.

We don't know how this is going to play out. Acting like any scenario "can't possibly happen" ignores reality.

11 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Yet another thread about it will certainly settle this discussion once and for all. :eyeroll:

Those who talk about "player only" fans and "emotional attachments" seem to want to drag this discussion out as much as anyone else. The above the fray commentary is laughable.

To stop making threads about it would be a start. But then you would actually have to address the trolls that keep initiating this topic.

Stop responding.

37 minutes ago, TheRed said:

somebody grab my pearls, gasp, i just have never

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

And Newton is battling injury with what might be an emerging player behind him.

We don't know how this is going to play out. Acting like any scenario "can't possibly happen" ignores reality.

So I won't rule anything out but the only 1 in that category is Manning in Indy.  The Colts could have thought Manning will never be the same again and he did have a huge cap hit which have both been brought up as reasons to move on from Newton, but no one should confuse Kyle Allen for Andrew Luck who made what could have been a hard decision a hell of a lot easier.  I like Kyle Allen a lot and didn't want the team to draft a QB because of him but I just don't see this emerging player type argument (at least not yet).

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

So I won't rule anything out but the only 1 in that category is Manning in Indy.  The Colts could have thought Manning will never be the same again and he did have a huge cap hit which have both been brought up as reasons to move on from Newton, but no one should confuse Kyle Allen for Andrew Luck who made what could have been a hard decision a hell of a lot easier.  I like Kyle Allen a lot and didn't want the team to draft a QB because of him but I just don't see this emerging player type argument (at least not yet).

I really don’t think anyone, at least anyone sane, is saying we should trade Cam right now. Most of us recognize that Allen still has a lot to prove before we would feel at all comfortable with him as the starter going forward. I wouldn’t trade Cam for two 1sts right now.

We just recognize that the possibility exists where it could be the best move for the franchise to move on from Cam(for money and durability reasons) and have Allen or Grier or someone else at QB. The possibility also exists that Cam comes back 100% and kills it with a quality offensive supporting cast and a monster defense. Only thing that concerns me is winning. Don’t care if it’s Cam or Jimmy Clausen making a comeback at QB.

Archived