• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are the San Francisco 49ers overrated?

Jeremy Igo

I think they're ranked right around where they should be. 

They are undefeated like the Pats but they don't have the history of success that the Pats do. They haven't really been challenged by anyone yet. They beat the Rams but they are experiencing a huge SB Hangover much like we did back in 2016 so it's not really impressive. 

Their defense looks legit. Their offense looks solid if not spectacular. I think our defense could stop them. As long as we keep Kyle Allen clean I think we beat them handily. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

They have beaten two teams that have beaten us.

True, but we lost both games by one score, with an obviously injured QB and an LT that made Todd Steussie look like a first ballot HOFer. Besides, we've already 'avenged' our loss to the Bucs, as much as that's possible anyway. 

2 hours ago, Doc Holiday said:

When we were playing with an injured QB

We'd be 6-0 with KA starting all games. Plus give Cam more time to heal...just bizarre that this happened like it did. I mean if literally everyone can see that Cam can't throw the ball whatsoever....why can't Rivera and then step in and sit him...

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

They have beaten two teams that have beaten us.

But the Bucs game has an asterisk next to it, honestly. No moral victories here but a healthy Cam or Kyle and that game turns out the way the London game went. The Panthers and Rams game was also different because Gurley was playing and the Panthers were in their first regular season game running this 3-4 multiple defensive look. 

The 49er's are overrated quite a bit and I expect it will show the following week. They haven't played a team with a winning record and Jimmy G appears to be susceptible to a strong pass defense, considering he has already thrown 5 interceptions. Panthers strength is in their pass rush and coverage ability. I'd expect a strength on weakness showing here where the Panthers start to get the recognition they are working towards.

Once again, 2013 anyone? Panthers go into a game against the 49er's, experts still incredulous, and pull off the upset while solidifying their rebound from an 0-2 start. 

18 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

We'd be 6-0 with KA starting all games. Plus give Cam more time to heal...just bizarre that this happened like it did. I mean if literally everyone can see that Cam can't throw the ball whatsoever....why can't Rivera and then step in and sit him...

Rivera has proven he virtually his no ability to sit Cam Newton.  He couldn't throw last year down the stretch.  Ron played him every week.  He was hurt this year.  Ron played him.  

I mean look at year's past.  Cam broke his back during the week and all Ron could muster was getting Cam to miss the game the week of the incident. 

Ron has always viewed them as a tandem in Carolina.  Forever linked.  People also got to remember Ron is old school.  Ron has always let Cam do what Cam wants.  Simple as that.  Only reason we are seeing Allen is because of Cam.  His choice.  Ultimately his choice when he returns. 

Archived