• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers 6th in points scored, 14th in points allowed

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, bigdog10 said:

I’d feel great about the San Fran game if we weren’t coming off a bye. 

This is the perfect time for a bye week.

Going from London to San Francisco would be rough jet lag wise.  I have done it when I was younger, and it takes several days before you feel right.  Doesn't mean we will win, but I think our odds would be worse if we were not coming off a bye week.   

3 hours ago, Untouchable said:

We don't have a good offense.  That 6th is scoring stat is misleading with the Defense/ST adding or setting up over 10ppg.

Perhaps, but in fairness, the teams ahead of us have some advantages as well.  New England leads the league in scoring, and in number of turnovers forced.  And they got to play Miami and Washington. 

Baltimore is higher scoring wise than us in part because they laid 59 on Miami. 

9 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Carolina Panthers offense is 6th in the league in points scored per game.

Carolina Panthers defense is 14th in points allowed per game.

Sounds like a playoff team to me.

Sadly, San Fran is 3rd in points scored and 2nd in points allowed per game. Good lord that game looks like a tough one.

Is the 6th taking in account of just the offense or is it also combining the defensive points scored?

7 hours ago, t96 said:

I’d be more worried about this game if Jimmy G actually looked good. He hasn’t. And their run game isn’t all that scary with injuries on the OL and their FB our. I think it’ll be a defensive struggle on both sides and whoever wins the turnover battle wins (and our D has been amazing at taking the ball away and getting sacks, while our offense has barely turned it over). I like our odds in this type of game.

Agree that turnovers will play a major role in this game. What I have seen of SF:s defense is honestly pretty similar to ours except they keep the hammer down and don't give up big points or yards in junk tim.  Overall they rush hard and play man in the secondary.  We have used more zone against Tampa to help against the run and contain Winston from scrambling. But with Jackson back I bet we see more man coverage on the deep ball that SF likes to throw.  It is going to come down to what defense causes the most turnovers and how efficient each of the offenses are converting them into points, particularly touchdowns.

IMHO we have to run RPO if we want to beat them. With Kyle Allen, they'll never expect it, and I swear once Allen breaks off a few big runs, it'll only open up bigger lanes for CMC and th rest of hte offense. 

Ron and Norv - you have 2 weeks to gameplan for these guys. You have to go against the grain and give them a different look, b/c with our Oline, Kyle's fumbling problems, and that historic defense, they'll eat Allen alive if we stick with the status quo. 

On defense, I'm not too worried. Stack 8 in the box and stop the run by any and all means (Brieda and Coleman are what make that offense go), pressure Jimmy on passing downs, and he'll force some throws. Their WR's corps are mediocre at best. I trust our corners can handle them one on one. The only guy worth a damn is Kittle. Shaq and Reid might have their  hands full with him. 

either way, should be a great defensive battle and given our success on the road thus far, this is definitely a winnable game. 

13 hours ago, FeelTheBurns53 said:

IMHO we have to run RPO if we want to beat them. With Kyle Allen, they'll never expect it, and I swear once Allen breaks off a few big runs, it'll only open up bigger lanes for CMC and th rest of hte offense. 

We've been running RPO (Run - Pass Option) with Kyle.  It's been ok for us.

What you seem to be implying however is the Read Option, where the QB can hand, keep or pitch.  That's not something we should do with Kyle.  He doesn't have years of experience with it the way Cam does.  The *only* reason that works for us is because of Cam.  His ability to read the DE / OLB is what makes that whole thing go, and Kyle will never get that.

16 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Perhaps, but in fairness, the teams ahead of us have some advantages as well. 

Traditionally the top teams in points scored have both good offenses and defenses that create turnovers.  There are exceptions of course but the NFL is so competitive that to score bunches of points across multiple weeks, you usually need a team effort.

Archived