• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Continued thoughts on Kyle Allen

Jeremy Igo

Any UDFA QB that starts 4-0 with a 7-0 TD/INT ratio, including a "clunker" of a game deserves serious praise.

Having said that, I'm still not sure who Kyle Allen is as a player. Something about him seems "fragile" in my opinion. I don't mean physically, and I can't quite put my finger on the right descriptor, but I have some doubts about his future. I hope that instinct is just off and he shines going forwards, but there is a strangle little tickle in the back of my mind that says he may not ultimately be as good or realize the apparent potential showed (overall) thus far.

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

So wait a sec . . . Kyle Allen's first "poor" passing game of the year is slightly below Cam's career average for completion percent and QBR?

Either Cam has been poor his whole career or Kyle wasn't that bad.  We need to be consistent, right?

I'm not saying Kyle was good or bad, or that Cam has been good or bad.  I'm saying let's apply the same standards.

Bingo.  Allen's "bad" game was still much better than any of Cam's last 6 starts

Just now, Nesbro1 said:

It was stated elsewhere that having to go max protect obviously puts less routes out in the defense. 

Therefore Jags had less people to cover allowing them to have much tighter windows. 

He didn't have lots of options and didn't panic or do anything stupid.

I get most of the arguments in support of him. But the reason he lasered in and didn't hit 3-4 easy passes that ended in incompletions was because he panicked in the pockets and tried to rifle in a few throws that didn't need it. I believe he did it to DJ twice and Samuel once because he was worried about getting hit and fumbling so he pulled a Cam and put way too much power on them and threw high on two and behind on one. He didn't play stupid but his last two starts have showed some panic. 

Kyle Allen has done a good job and has established himself as a potential starting quarterback in the NFL. However, the fumbling is a major concern.

He has earned the right to continue to start until Cam has fully recovered from the foot injury. If Cam has the ability to run, it adds a different element to this offense and takes some needed carries away from CMC. 

I said after his first win that you guys should put on the square wheels.

He has done what has been asked of him and done it well.  But, 3-0 is probably a better assessment.  I would not count trash games at the end of the season when formulating an opinion.

Still, he is doing a good job.  He is a game manager and a good passer.  Brady has made a living doing the same thing.

He is not however going to get the 4th and 1's like Cam.  The only question is whether or not Cam can come back and a further question might be whether he even wants to.

I look at it this way.....we all can see how the Oline is at times.  If YOU were plugged in the be the QB, what kind of mind games do you think would play out in your head, especially coming off getting hit and fumbling last game?  Great QB will adjust/learn from it and progress from there....or regress.  Hopefully he continues to help us win games, simply the most important part and it is still a team effort, always will be.  

It amuses me that people think they have him figured out after 4 games, he is a basically a rookie.  Almost all QBs, even the really good ones, struggle their first year or two.

Here is the difference though, first round pick QBs are usually given 2-3 years to develop.  Late round guys aren't. 

The team is winning and no interceptions, that is two really good signs.  The fumbles on the other hand have to stop.  Also the last game he missed some throws.  

I'm not ready to give him Cam's job, if Cam comes back healthy and playing well, but he has shown enough to make you intrigued in what he could become over time.

Other than the fumbles Allen has played very well for a backup QB but I think we're starting to see teams get some film on him and starting to figure out how to defend him. For those who have been watching NFL football for a long time this isn't exactly uncommon. 

Anyone who thinks Allen will continue starting over a healthy Cam should be treated as comic relief.

4 hours ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

We now have a big enough sample size that we know what Kyle Allen is. He's an excellent *backup* quarterback that will probably have a long NFL career and also shouldn't start over Cam even if we're on a winning streak when Cam is healthy.

I would think that now is when we start to get usable data on him. First couple of starts by new QBs are less useful, especially if they went in due to injury so DCs had no time to gameplan them.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Other than the fumbles Allen has played very well for a backup QB but I think we're starting to see teams get some film on him and starting to figure out how to defend him. For those who have been watching NFL football for a long time this isn't exactly uncommon. 

Anyone who thinks Allen will continue starting over a healthy Cam should be treated as comic relief.

Again though, how healthy is "a healthy Cam", and how long does he stay that way?

Regarding Allen, one thing stuck in the back of my mind...

Someone on here (I'd credit them but I don't remember who it was) said they had watched a lot of Allen's career prior to the pros. Their take was that Allen had a tendency to start off hot but tail off to the point where eventually he just wasn't that good.

Valid? No idea, but that analysis is stored in my inventory of Mental Notes so I can watch to see if it plays out that way.

seriously cams last 6 starts he has been injured. Allens last 3 has been probably the best he can do at this point while a healthy Cam would probably give us 30 to 40 consistently with our defense playing the way it has. A healthy Cam, there is no doubt we are 5-0 right now.

Archived