• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Continued thoughts on Kyle Allen

Jeremy Igo

Just now, hepcat said:

It's actually even more reason to keep playing Kyle Allen. You can't trot out Cam Newton and his various injuries sustained over a decade of playing professional football behind a line that can't block for more than 2 seconds. Not only would I wait until Cam is healthy to bring him back, I would wait for Greg Little and Trai Turner to be healthy too. 

Yesterday's game plan actually looked an awful lot like what we ran last year when Newton was hurt.

The major difference being that last year we were limiting the field because we had no choice. Our QB couldn't throw downfield. This year we're choosing not to because we're afraid of our line.

52 minutes ago, raz said:

4 nfl starts.  i can't believe he's not all world yet.  def time to pass judgment on the kid

C'mon, that's very generous for this place =)  Most guys don't get a chance to get out of OTAs before they are "busts."  LOL.

For Allen, he's going to have to settle down I think.  Yesterday he was super scattershot, missing guys at random.  He did have some good throws, but he wasn't really throwing guys open.  I think that all comes from him pushing too hard.

He needs to settle down, which isn't unusual for young guys in high pressure situations.  Think about it, he knows he's keeping the seat warm for Cam.  Unless he can keep the team winning.  So he's going to be in his own head.  It could parlay into a MAJOR payday and chance to be a franchise QB for a NFL team.  That's a lot of stress.

He just needs to settle down and play like he did against NO last year and against Arizona.  He looked like a different player.

The job of a QB is to move the offense and score more points than your opponent. So far so good. Just like we were the worst 15-1 team in 2015, I hope we are the worse 14-2 team this year. This whole nit picking thing is funny to me. Who thought when Cam went down at 0-2 that we would be sitting at 3-2 three weeks later. This has been a great run so far. I hope that we beat Tampa especially since I will be in London to see it.  Walking out of that stadium after a win was fantastic yesterday after waiting almost a year.

Hopefully Turner comes back this week, I’m sure that will make him feel more confident. He did look shaky, but we have to put faith in him to shake it off and succeed. His pocket awareness needs to improve, Shaq Barret will be a force Sunday. 

He's doing enough to help the team win but he has a long way to go to be the heir apparent to Cam.  I'm not convinced Cam will return by the way.  Something is afoot with him.  No pun intended.  The answer at QB is not on the roster I fear and drafting Cams successor is paramount going forward.

I think he has proven to be a quality backup and potential starter down the road. 

I do think he does some things well like pump fakes, moving around the pocket, good fake handoffs or fake passes with handoffs.

his decisions on throws this time were questionable and thankfully he didn’t throw interceptions.

These are my thoughts...

He may be the QB a coach like rivera wants...

Doesn't throw picks, and manages the game, and help facilitate the run game, and can make the throws when needed..  I think the fumble problem can be corrected easy.. the fact that he hasn't thrown a pick or lost a game so far, tells me he fits with what this team wants for their QB. Go manage the game, facilitate some long drives, eat clock, get it to guys on 3rd down.. dont turn the ball over... slow it down, be methodical...   its what a defensive minded coach fantasizes about with a QB

Cam is just as capable of that as Allen, obviously, but he needs to be 100% healthy..  Hurt CAm that is trying to do too much hurts the team.. Allen is perfectly fine with handing it off/ being a game manager.. Cam tries to be Cam, which is a superfreak.. Healthy Cam pulls that off, Hurt Cam doesn't and it hurts us

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Kyle Allen has now officially fallen back to earth with the first poor passing performance of his career. Yes, he has had fumbles but I am talking about passing. 

However, even though he had a rough day throwing the ball, still posted an 85 QBR and threw zero interceptions. 

For the first time his passes were off target fairly frequently. Makes me wonder now with the fumbles in the back of my mind has it affected what he does in the pocket and how he throws?

Jury still out on this guy, but overall it is positive still. Doing enough to win games even on bad days. 

We now have a big enough sample size that we know what Kyle Allen is. He's an excellent *backup* quarterback that will probably have a long NFL career and also shouldn't start over Cam even if we're on a winning streak when Cam is healthy.

1 hour ago, WOW!! said:

Minshew was being pressured too please stop the bs excuses.. Difference is Minshew was working the pocket better and throwing dimes down field giving his WR'S chances to make plays.. Kyle wasn't doing that and has been playing scared for 2 games now.. 

Plain and Simple if he wants to be in position to be considered a better option than a "Healthy Cam Newton" he needs to play like Minshew and less like a game manager..

Our defense is significantly better than the jags as well. 

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

So wait a sec . . . Kyle Allen's first "poor" passing game of the year is slightly below Cam's career average for completion percent and QBR?

Either Cam has been poor his whole career or Kyle wasn't that bad.  We need to be consistent, right?

I'm not saying Kyle was good or bad, or that Cam has been good or bad.  I'm saying let's apply the same standards.

The importance of QBR is incredibly inflated. Cam’s has always been bogged down by the completion percentage killing gameplan we always ran with him.  

Archived