• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Continued thoughts on Kyle Allen

Jeremy Igo

59 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Kyle Allen has now officially fallen back to earth with the first poor passing performance of his career. Yes, he has had fumbles but I am talking about passing. 

However, even though he had a rough day throwing the ball, still posted an 85 QBR and threw zero interceptions. 

For the first time his passes were off target fairly frequently. Makes me wonder now with the fumbles in the back of my mind has it affected what he does in the pocket and how he throws?

Jury still out on this guy, but overall it is positive still. Doing enough to win games even on bad days. 

So wait a sec . . . Kyle Allen's first "poor" passing game of the year is slightly below Cam's career average for completion percent and QBR?

Either Cam has been poor his whole career or Kyle wasn't that bad.  We need to be consistent, right?

I'm not saying Kyle was good or bad, or that Cam has been good or bad.  I'm saying let's apply the same standards.

11 minutes ago, raz said:

so if we keep moving goalposts and make 1 stat a different stat then we'll see things like you do.  no thanks.   its called conflation.  you know what int's are  -  turnovers.   fumbles are sometimes turnovers.  ints are way worse.

both quantify possession changing opportunities. bad passes, bad reads, fumbles.... they're all mistakes. to talk about how those mistakes manifest into impact on the game is to take one from a large sample size and evaluate the result only. all of the above can result in a turnover and a pass is no more bad if someone intercepts it than it was if they had a chance to catch it and dropped it. it's important in an analysis to remove the outcome to quantify risk moving forward. that's why coaches could give a damn if their quarterback makes a tough throw and someone like donte jackson jumps 44 inches into the air and grabs it, that's an improbable result and in no way indicative of poor quarterback play. it's just amazing defensive play. 

2 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

You can tell the coaches have zero faith in Allen. He’s given the most vanilla playbook ever and is literally throwing to his first read on 90% of throws.

that's not why we're in max protect at all.  really bad take.  its the o-line.   

3 minutes ago, Vagrant said:

both quantify possession changing opportunities. bad passes, bad reads, fumbles.... they're all mistakes. to talk about how those mistakes manifest into impact on the game is to take one from a large sample size and evaluate the result only. all of the above can result in a turnover and a pass is no more bad if someone intercepts it than it was if they had a chance to catch it and dropped it. it's important in an analysis to remove the outcome to quantify risk moving forward. that's why coaches could give a damn if their quarterback makes a tough throw and someone like donte jackson jumps 44 inches into the air and grabs it, that's an improbable result and in no way indicative of poor quarterback play. it's just amazing defensive play. 

tl/dr

29 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

With a bad QB these are not wins. You really can't say a NFL QB has played no part in winning 3 in a row, as much as you want to. 

I'm just not going to over hype a Trent Dilfer when I see one. He had one great game and played a great game manager for two. Threw  232 and 181 in the last two games. Let's not act like he lit it up. He's doing well for a backup. I'll give him that much. Future starter? Nah.

13 minutes ago, Forty-Eight said:

At this point, Allen is showing that he is just a game manager. However, I believe that Allen’s ability to pass the ball opens up the run game. Sunday will be proof to whether that is correct or incorrect vs the same tampa bay team that made Cam and this same Carolina offense one dimensional just a couple weeks ago. 

I agree in part but let's not forget QB1 was injured and wasn't himself. It's like people forget that on purpose.

10 minutes ago, BrianS said:

So wait a sec . . . Kyle Allen's first "poor" passing game of the year is slightly below Cam's career average for completion percent and QBR?

Sure but only if you consider passing and not the fact that Allen is not a factor in the run game like Cam. 

Just now, XOBlackxJokerOX said:

I agree in part but let's not forget QB1 was injured and wasn't himself. It's like people forget that on purpose.

injured and lying to the team with a coach who couldn't pull him for his own good.  lets not forget that either.

Archived