• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hall of Honor: 17 & 89

ellis

Yes, throwing the longest pass in Super Bowl history on a dime while rolling to your left require some degree of talent.

Tough break with the elbow injury down the stretch of his career. He still had some good years ahead of him. He definitely wasn’t perfect, but he helped manufacture some great moments for this team, at a turning point where the fans needed it. 

I remember that first time Jake jogged out to the huddle. I also remember what his teammates said he told them :)

(that, and the time he got up from a dirty hit by Lance Briggs, pounded his chest and swore some more)

Smith's thing wasn't just the long passes either. It was what he could do with a short pass.

On 10/3/2019 at 7:44 AM, BurnHurnBurn said:

So much revisionist/romantic history.

Smitty was a beast.  An absolute monster.

Jake was great 03-05.  

As a whole?  Those teams were maddening.  Run, Run, Pass, Punt. Repeat.

"A punt is a good play" Run the ball, stop the run". "Bend dont break"

Yeah a lot of games were close but that was because we played the most boring old school I formation power run offense imaginable.  If it weren't for Jake's wild throws and head scratching decisions those teams would have been near unwatchable.

Every team other than Peyton Manning and the Colts played like that in that era of football. 

5 hours ago, Forty-Eight said:

Every team other than Peyton Manning and the Colts played like that in that era of football. 

I guess Trent Green, Dante Culpepper, Marc Bulger, Tom Brady, and Brett Favre were holding back then?

Air McNair?

McNabb?

Did you even football bro?

33 minutes ago, BurnHurnBurn said:

I guess Trent Green, Dante Culpepper, Marc Bulger, Tom Brady, and Brett Favre were holding back then?

Air McNair?

McNabb?

Jake had four seasons of 3k out of 6 years. In that era, only 1-3 guys were lucky to throw for 4k. Guys never threw for 5k. 

1 hour ago, Forty-Eight said:

Jake had four seasons of 3k out of 6 years. In that era, only 1-3 guys were lucky to throw for 4k. Guys never threw for 5k. 

Much more than you apparently, and less influenced by recency bias.  Your post is irrelevant. Other than to reinforce my point that the offense was so vanilla it was boring in a more conservative era.

The Jon Fox Panthers were consistently considered the most basic bland brand of football in the NFL.  It was effective at times, but plain as toasted white bread.

It was only "fun" to watch if you were a fan.

5 hours ago, Nesbro1 said:

Lol who cares if non fans didn't enjoy it?

If it wins it's fun period.

I don't care if we win 20 in a row 2-0.

Yeah!  LOL!  ROFL!  

What if we won 20 in a row!  HA!

We have never had back to back winning seasons.  This board has screamed for years that we need an offensive minded coach and time after time we get boring ball control offense.

But enjoy that imaginary 20 game win streak.

Archived