• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hall of Honor: 17 & 89

ellis

I haven’t forgotten about Wesley or Jordan. A little tougher to find footage of those two, but I still have a plan to pay tribute to their great careers.

Also, I know the footage is a little bit degraded. About the best I could do. 

7 minutes ago, ellis said:

Big day Sunday.

I was feeling nostalgic today. I made something to share with you guys. I hope it resonates with you.

These two guys were quite the duo. Too many special moments to count. But here’s a few, just to bring you back. Again, I hope you find some joy in it. I get that it’s not for everybody.

Great memories and they deserve to be In the Hall of Honor along with many others that made this team who they are.

I rifled through hours of footage. I’ve been so bogged down with working on the current affairs of the team, it was really refreshing to look back at some of the great moments from the 2000s. I know Jake was errant at times, and could drive us all nuts. Those two guys just had a connection from day one. And 89 was just unstoppable in his prime. Like many of you guys, seeing him play in person was one of the great joys of being a fan. He was relentless.

Four road playoff wins over a 24 month span.

And for all of Jake’s flaws, in this age of high-flying offense, he still owns the record for the longest pass in Super Bowl history—16 years later. 

Steve Smith just ripped through the NFL in 2005. That was one of the most special things I’ve ever witnessed. That team was borderline dominant, but they ran out of running backs at the wrong time. Still, what a fun ride that was.

6 minutes ago, ellis said:

Four road playoff wins over a 24 month span.

And for all of Jake’s flaws, in this age of high-flying offense, he still owns the record for the longest pass in Super Bowl history—16 years later. 

Steve Smith just ripped through the NFL in 2005. That was one of the most special things I’ve ever witnessed. That team was borderline dominant, but they ran out of running backs at the wrong time. Still, what a fun ride that was.

Slow down bro....

I really think those two guys couldn't have made it without each other. Jake needed that guy who could go out for those crazy passes and really compete and win them. Smitty needed a guy who believed that he could win those passes. Really, one of the greatest duos to play the game, certainly one of the most entertaining pairs.

And both of them allowed you to always pull for the underdog, the little guy and still win out most of the time.

It was never, ever boring back then.

So much revisionist/romantic history.

Smitty was a beast.  An absolute monster.

Jake was great 03-05.  

As a whole?  Those teams were maddening.  Run, Run, Pass, Punt. Repeat.

"A punt is a good play" Run the ball, stop the run". "Bend dont break"

Yeah a lot of games were close but that was because we played the most boring old school I formation power run offense imaginable.  If it weren't for Jake's wild throws and head scratching decisions those teams would have been near unwatchable.

Archived