• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers DT KK Short to IR

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd say this regarding Short's contract...

At the time he got paid, he was worth it. One of the best DTs in the league and followed it up with a good season. A lot of us were sweating that we'd lose him.

But as we've talked about before, judging how good someone is now is a whole lot easier than judging how good they're going to be in three or four years. Failing at that can hurt you...bad.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but we re-signed the wrong DT. Not only would Star have been cheaper, but he's proven to be the better player long-term. He doesn't show up big on the stat sheets but he has a big impact on an overall defense.

But, at the time, Short did seem like the guy we needed to hang onto. 

7 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Which was dumb.

But then Hurney restructured which is even dumber. Made it so he can’t really be cut until 2021.

At least that’s how I understood the restructure but not sure, maybe someone else can enlighten me on what exactly the restructure did.

KK is a good player no doubt but he’s overpaid. He is the top paid DT in two of his contract years and top 5 for most of them...

I had no problem with the contract. Short was one of the best three techniques in the league at the time of that signing and those guys get PAID. 

The restructure was idiotic. Short was coming off of back to back subpar years. You don't kick the can down the road on a 30 year old player who looks to be on the decline. We're not talking about a kicker or QB, positions that routinely okay at a high level into their mid-late 30s. We're talking about one of the most physically demanding positions in football.

33 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hindsight is always 20/20, but we re-signed the wrong DT. Not only would Star have been cheaper, but he's proven to be the better player long-term. He doesn't show up big on the stat sheets but he has a big impact on an overall defense.

Longstanding pattern across every GM this team has had: Whenever we have a choice between two guys, nine times out of ten we pick the wrong one.

Morgan-Witherspoon was another example.

37 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We’ve done this twice, not only with kk over star but turner over norwell

4 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

We’ve done this twice, not only with kk over star but turner over norwell

It's frustrating because at the time I absolutely agreed with both calls. Since it's impossible to predict the future all you can do is work with the current information available. Then there's always the injury issues, like the Morgan/'spoon decision. Morgan was without a doubt the better LB, he just unfortunately couldn't stay healthy. Morgan was a HOFer had he stayed healthy. You could probably say the same for Beason.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It's frustrating because at the time I absolutely agreed with both calls. Since it's impossible to predict the future all you can do is work with the current information available. Then there's always the injury issues, like the Morgan/'spoon decision. Morgan was without a doubt the better LB, he just unfortunately couldn't stay healthy. Morgan was a HOFer had he stayed healthy. You could probably say the same for Beason.

Yeah hindsight for sure, it looks like 2015 overrated a lot of players and there ability, hell even cam. Every single impact player on that team is either out the league or overpaid and overrated. Luke and Cam are the only two who’ve lived up to some of the expectations from that season 

4 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Of course, just what I remember recently 

The further back ones that I remember...

Kerry Collins over Steve McNair

Tshimanga Biakabutuka over Eddie George

DeShaun Foster over Clinton Portis

Dan Morgan over Will Witherspoon

Jimmy Clausen over forfeiting the pick

I've also always wondered what would have happened if Jacksonville had gotten the number one draft pick in 95 and we got the first pick in the expansion draft.

Jack Bushofsky confirmed that we would have taken Steve Beuerlein if he'd been available. Maybe then Jacksonville takes Collins or McNair and we get Tony Boselli.

Can't help wondering just how different this franchise would have been.

Just now, Cpt slay a ho said:

Yeah hindsight for sure, it looks like 2015 overrated a lot of players and there ability, hell even cam. Every single impact player on that team is either out the league or overpaid and overrated. Luke and Cam are the only two who’ve lived up to some of the expectations from that season 

Well, I mean it was four seasons ago. It's not called the Not For Long league for no reason. A lot can change over the course of four years.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What I always hated most about the Morgan-Witherspoon thing was the way it was decided.

Per our old friend Brett, the team basically just wrote up contracts for both of them and said "whoever signs first wins".

That was an unforgivably stupid way to make that decision.

Archived