• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question: Without Cam is this a playoff team?

Jeremy Igo

It's early, but signs point to yes.  There's no reason to think Kyle Allen won't continue to improve.  I'm not saying he's going to be a world beater, but he seems to have the ability to handle adversity, which is the hardest thing for young QB's from what I've seen in my years.

I will add this - this team is not a playoff team with current Cam Newton at the helm.  His performance was dragging the morale of the team down and it was painfully evident during the games.  They've rallied around Kyle Allen because they know he's young and has room to grow.  They expect more from Cam and the more he lets them down the greater the toll on their morale.

Obviously if Cam can get back to his MVP level (a near impossibility at this point) that all changes, but I think it's time for the fanbase to accept that MVP Cam no longer exists.  

Well, who are the other contenders?

The entire NFC North..Chicago, Green Bay, Minnesota, and Detroit.

NFC East - Dallas, Philly

NFC West - Seattle, LA, SF

NFC south - New Orleans, Carolina, Tampa (has to be in the convo atm)

Short version the NFC is really really really good.  The only teams that are clearly not cut out for the playoffs at this point are Atlanta, Arizona, New York and Washington.  

Are we good enough.  Yes.  It's going to be a tough race in the division and wild card race this year though.  We started in a hole and can't afford many slips.  With the number of good teams in the NFC this year I think 10 wins is the minimum number for a wild card and 10 probably has you in a tie break with someone.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

STATEMENT

Yes, I hope Cam comes back 100% and claims the NFL MVP Trophy just before hoisting the Lombardi. That is the ideal outcome.

/STATEMENT

But, if Cam just can't get right and we were to give Cam the entire season and offseason to heal up for 2020.

Is the team as it is now, with Kyle Allen at QB, a playoff contender?

Odd numbered year so 50/50. If it was an even numbered year, 10% or so.

Seriously need Delhomme magic of 2003 and latter half of 2004 to pull this off. Im not sold on the Defense quite yet. It's a different look for teams and the tape isn't out there yet. Also the injuries to KK, and Jackson are concerning. Plus it's not like the D Line has a fill in for Poe (playing out of his damn mind) if he goes down. 

CMC and Gregg gonna pull Allen along if the line can improve. I think they faced one of the toughest challenges this year up front. If will be interesting to see how they perform against the Saints who will have everything to play for.

Honestly, 9-6 may be 1 game short. I hope that bucs game doesn't come back to bite us come week 17.

Yes. Our defense is about as stout as any Panthers squad I can remember. We shut down an extremely dynamic passing game yesterday, and did so without our CB2 (who would be a CB1 on most teams) and our best pass-rushing Defensive Tackles. Our defense is the stuff title runs are made of.

We need a QB who does enough to win and who doesn't make mistakes to make us a deep playoff threat. Kyle Allen does enough to win. And he doesn't make bad passes that lead to costly interceptions. But the book is out on him on his ball control issues, and teams will be looking to strip the ball from him any time they're in arm's reach. So if he can respond and work on the sack/fumble issue, he'll be that QB that takes us to the playoffs.

Our offensive line is terribly concerning, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with lack of chemistry due to minimum number of games played together. Williams does not need to see the field again. Kyle Allen will get better at sensing pressure and losing the football.

Defense is lights out.

We overuse (understatement) McCaffery which is concerning, but very exciting.

However, I think we make the playoffs. And with a healthy Cam re-energizing this team playing later in the season, we could make a strong push once we get in.

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Maybe.  There's a lot of football left to play and they HAVE to win the NFCS to get in.  That's a tall order for this team at this point in the season.  

I'm not so sure.  I think the NFC is wide open right now.  I'm not sure if there is one dominant team.  Maybe NO when Brees comes back.

Archived