• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Tomlin in Carolina?

Jeremy Igo

Thought I'd look up Tomlin's contract status...

He was already signed through the 2020 season, but back in July the Steelers extended him a year so currently he's under contract through 2021.

Jeremy Fowler made mention of the fact that the Steelers typically sign their head coaches and GM's to extensions at the same time and found it interesting that this time they didn't.

Jason La Canfora reported a while back that Steelers ownership had wanted to lock down both Tomlin and Colbert for "at least the length of Roethlisberger's tenure as starting quarterback" before Colbert threw a monkey wrench in that idea (link). 

That same article fuels the Tepper-Colbert speculation a little more.

For what it's worth, it's widely known around the NFL how highly Panthers owner David Tepper, a former Steelers minority owner, thinks of Colbert, who is one of the best execs in the NFL; if the Panthers do not thrive (I believe they will) many would anticipate Tepper taking a run at hiring Colbert.

I'd add this...

I don't know that there's any kind of power struggle going on in Pittsburgh. Some Steeler sources.have hinted at it but it's mostly speculation.

The one thing I do feel fairly confident in saying though, if there is a Colbert vs Tomlin feud in Pittsburgh this season, I think Colbert will lose.

Steelers president Art Rooney II spoke to Dulac and said it was actually Colbert’s choice to not line his extension up with head coach Mike Tomlin’s as has happened in the past.

“At this stage of the game, he’s really not looking to do any long-term planning,” Rooney said. “We talked and we agreed he’d rather wait till after the season to talk about the contract.”

At 62 years old Colbert might be thinking about the next phase of his life and it might not include the grind of running an NFL team. We will have to wait and see how the season turns out and how Colbert wants to proceed.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/26/steelers-gm-kevin-colbert-retirement/

3 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Riley?  That guy that coaches up fluff numbers when he doesn't have to play a regular defense, but loses every major game he goes into?

No thanks.

True. At this point im just throwing names out there. Any suggestions?

1 minute ago, BigSyke said:

True. At this point im just throwing names out there. Any suggestions?

Right now I am just so over the "young offensive genius" fad.  At this point I am expecting someone to hire a high school assistant coach.

As of names I like at the moment?  I like Brian Daboll (Buffalo OC) more than I probably should.  He coached both under Saban and Belichick.  He has worked with a rookie running based QB and done well with him,  in my opinion.  I think this can translate to both Cam Newton and Allen.  (whoever ends up starting long term)

2018 was tough, where Bills were 30th in scoring/yardage.  So far, they are 8th in yardage, 17th in points.  A significant increase.

I strongly feel he will get a shot some point soon, by someone.

Archived