• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Tomlin in Carolina?

Jeremy Igo

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Seems there is speculation on national media...

Maybe Tepper is high on Tomlin?

Weird, but I have had this thought a lot lately--fiunny, we always seem to covet former Steeler coaches, but this one is understandable.  I would love Tomlin.

I would really question Tepper if he made such a move.  Rivera is not perfect, but at least he has proven over and over again he can produce quality defenses.  

What is Tomlin beyond a rah-rah guy?  I mean that seriously.  He has had some success, but IMO it was more about having a elite QB in Big Ben and playmakers along with good coordinators.  

I'll give him credit somewhat for the coordinators (although he inherited Dick Lebeau), but it also is inescapable that the Steelers have underperformed for most of his tenure in a division that until recently wasn't exactly uber-competitive.

And the Steelers obsession with this franchise long predates Tepper.  From the minute Richardson hired Dom Capers as the first coach, it has been there.

There was a significant number of people on this board clamoring for Bill Cowher when Rivera was hired.

I'm ok bringing in Kevin Colbert, but in my mind, if there is a coaching change, we need fresh blood much like Rivera was 9 years ago.

Tomlin is way more of a retread than an innovator in any aspect at this point.

32 minutes ago, TheRed said:

If the Panthers end up hitting the reset button on the staff, I HOPE Tepper goes with an offensive minded head coach.

Fixed it.

And the same, I'm done with the conservative D minded HC's at this point.  If you are going to lose, may as well do it giving the fans something to cheer about.

Paraphrased, as I can't remember who said that.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This whole "everyone who works for the Steelers now is automatically the leading candidate for the Panthers if that job becomes available" line just feels like lazy reporting from people needing to provide content.

From Lombardi, it may be. Bouchette is better than that.

Worth remembering that Tepper asked both Kevin Colbert and Omar Khan for opinions when he first bought the team. That would, at the very least, indicate familiarity and some level of trust.

Archived