• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton out against the Texans

Jeremy Igo

There was a game played in Charlotte many years ago. I was there. A Jacksonville Jaguar team was in town for what should have been a fairly easy win.

Rodney Peete went 4/10 for 19 yards and got sacked 3 times in the first half. Sone guy named Jake Delhomme came out to lead the team in the second half and Carolina won the game 24-23 on a pass from Jake to Ricky Proehl with 16 seconds left on the clock.

Anyone remember the complete mood swing and attitude change with the offense in that game? Anyone remember the electrcity in the air that day?

That same feeling was very evident yesterday as soon as Carolina got on the board following the Curtis Samuel and DJ Moore TD catches. Sorry, that didn't look to me like the same offense Cam plays with.

Say what you will- it wasn't the same.

41 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Or letting Cam go 18-42 to end a winnable game and then saying he was hurt. Allen bailed Ron out just like Cam has done before, but we still had to lose two games to get there.

I was at week 16’s loss to Atlanta and even in just Allen’s 4 throws it was obvious to me that he was clearly a better NFL QB than Heinicke. Just like it was clear to anyone watching that Little was better than Williams or Norwell better than Amini or DJ and Samuel better than Smith.

It seems to take us a lot longer to see what’s right under our noses and we are damn lucky that Allen landed in our lap.

Not to mention playing him obviously hurt when he was physically struggling to throw the ball in any fashion last year after that hit he took from Watt in the Steelers game.

Just now, Anybodyhome said:

There was a game played in Charlotte many years ago. I was there. A Jacksonville Jaguar team was in town for what should have been a fairly easy win.

Rodney Peete went 4/10 for 19 yards and got sacked 3 times in the first half. Sone guy named Jake Delhomme came out to lead the team in the second half and Carolina won the game 24-23 on a pass from Jake to Ricky Proehl with 16 seconds left on the clock.

Anyone remember the complete mood swing and attitude change with the offense in that game? Anyone remember the electrcity in the air that day?

That same feeling was very evident yesterday as soon as Carolina got on the board following the Curtis Samuel and DJ Moore TD catches. Sorry, that didn't look to me like the same offense Cam plays with.

Say what you will- it wasn't the same.

You're dead on.  I'll add, in fact, that the defense played harder as well, knowing their efforts weren't in vain because of a QB that just can't get it done.

32 minutes ago, TheRed said:

You aren't wrong. But offenses in the NFL are also changing. There are a number of teams seeing success with younger quarterbacks. There are also a number of teams whose quarterbacks are struggling. Look at Matt Ryan with the weapons he has. He was league MVP like Newton only a handful of years ago.

Seems like realism of shelf life for aging quarterbacks has been distorted a bit with GOAT players like Tom Brady still winning championships at his age.

I thought #1 would be playing for several more years. But at this point who knows? It isn't looking too good right now. It's very difficult to watch, but this should be a reminder for our franchise specifically moving forward that you still need other playmakers stepping up. We ran a transcendent talent into the ground. That has to be a major lesson moving forward.

True this.

I saw a stat thrown on the screen yesterday that there have already been 10 different starting QBs in the first 3 weeks of the season. Not to mention that 20 starting QBs in Week 3 were 26 or younger.

Folks, if you think it was Ron sending Cam in during all those games without Cam's say so, you've been sniffing glue and have a tenuous grasp on reality.

In this day and age, a coach cannot send in a player that says they are unhealthy, unable or unwilling. It's just not going to happen. The CBA speaks to it and the league just isn't going to allow that.

Heck, in our own case, we can't forget the uproar and cries for blood when Ron sat Cam for the first series of a game for not showing up with a tie on before an away game. The fanbase, Cam and ownership (JR at that time... go figure) all quickly explained who was the boss in this relationship.

It took two games this season for Cam to make the case for Ron to get the evidence, glaring evidence, that Cam being on the field was doing no good for anyone, particularly Cam. Kyle Allen's performance made the decision going into the Houston game a no brainer. No one knows if Allen will be the long term answer, but it is pretty obvious that the immediate problem was the Cam was too hurt to play or even be the Cam we all love.

What it did show is that this is a team that can work and get a good win, a strong win, if they don't ruin the game themselves. Maybe Cam gets right again (physically and maybe a bit mentally) and comes back to make the whole thing sing. Maybe he doesn't but Allen can grow and develop to be a darned good QB in his own right.

This is a well put together team and honestly, we needed Cam to step away to both see it and prove it to ourselves. 

36 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

I hate the idea of him playing on another team, same way I felt about Pep. But I was very skeptical about the shoulder clean up procedure even before the first game. I think with something like that, especially at the ripe age of 30, it really does need a year to fully heal.

I'm not suggesting he left the team to go elsewhere....but rather, just needs/wants to get away, take a sabbatical if you will.

Panthers effectively control him for 5-years (including this year) so he can't go anywhere else if they don't want him to.

1 hour ago, Kuhndog94 said:

I'm not saying you are wrong about Allen, but Kurt Warner comes to mind.

Or Brady taking over from Bledsoe . . . or Delhomme taking over from Peete.

We don't yet know for sure who Kyle Allen is . . . but it's not unheard of for a guy to come off the bench to replace an ineffective or injured starter and then simply never give the job up.

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

I doubt it. Undrafted players go undrafted for a reason. There’s a countless number of QBs who come out hot and then fizzle away. Remember Matt Flynn? He got paid off a few games and look what happened. If nothing else I hope this means we finally have a backup QB. He’s not a long term solution. 

Allen went undrafted because his college career was a fugged up situation. Three different coaches & he transferred out a Texas A&M.  Never got to show his potential in college. In sports it generally takes an injury for a player to be forced into a game. It happened last year when Heinicke got injured & Allen showed his talent against the Saints. Injury to Cam forced Allen to get the start in Arizona. 

The touchdown to Olsen on 3rd & goal was an elite throw. The Panthers may have their diamond in the rough. 

Archived