• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton out against the Texans

Jeremy Igo

19 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Rivera playing a hobbled Cam: “Rivera is just trying to save his ass”.

Rivera playing Kyle Allen: “Rivera is just trying to save his ass”.

Huh?

Agreed. It's like the people who say "Rivera ran Cam into the ground to save his job," then turn around and the very next sentence say "and now they need to let Cam get back to being Cam, and run the ball more"

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

CHARLOTTE – Quarterback Cam Newton, who sat out Sunday’s win at Arizona, will also miss this week’s game at Houston with a foot injury. 

“What Cam needs right now is time and rest for his foot. We want him at 100 percent when he’s ready, so there’s no exact timetable for his return,” head coach Ron Rivera said. “At this point, we’re going to go forward with Kyle (Allen) as our starter.” 

Allen went 19-for-26 with 261 yards with four touchdowns and a 144.4 passer rating against the Cardinals to improve his career record to 2-0.

Agreed with this. Let Cam get 110% clear. He should feel better than he's ever felt. Maybe get someone to slip him a few steaks. 

1 hour ago, dave-o said:

Anyone else but me think there is more going on behind the scenes other than a "foot injury"...  I think they are covering up something....  Just my .02

Agreed.

At this point I'm having serious doubts that Cam is still with the team. 

40 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

I doubt it. Undrafted players go undrafted for a reason. There’s a countless number of QBs who come out hot and then fizzle away. Remember Matt Flynn? He got paid off a few games and look what happened. If nothing else I hope this means we finally have a backup QB. He’s not a long term solution. 

You aren't wrong. But offenses in the NFL are also changing. There are a number of teams seeing success with younger quarterbacks. There are also a number of teams whose quarterbacks are struggling. Look at Matt Ryan with the weapons he has. He was league MVP like Newton only a handful of years ago.

Seems like realism of shelf life for aging quarterbacks has been distorted a bit with GOAT players like Tom Brady still winning championships at his age.

I thought #1 would be playing for several more years. But at this point who knows? It isn't looking too good right now. It's very difficult to watch, but this should be a reminder for our franchise specifically moving forward that you still need other playmakers stepping up. We ran a transcendent talent into the ground. That has to be a major lesson moving forward.

20 minutes ago, run1stdownrun2nddown said:

Agreed. It's like the people who say "Rivera ran Cam into the ground to save his job," then turn around and the very next sentence say "and now they need to let Cam get back to being Cam, and run the ball more"

Theres more too it than that. Rivera played an obviously hurt Cam in 16 and 18 to try and save his job. He thought Cam was his best chance to succeed in spite of what performance was showing. 

Part of Cam's game and what makes him so hard to defend is his ability to run. If he doesnt have that part of his game, he is much easier to defend. It's kind of like the long pass. Defenses need to see it so they are forced to defend it.

35 minutes ago, dave-o said:

Anyone else but me think there is more going on behind the scenes other than a "foot injury"...  I think they are covering up something....  Just my .02

I’m wondering if there really is an injury. Maybe Cam has just been playing that badly because his new throwing motion has wrecked his accuracy. 

18 minutes ago, SBiii said:

Agreed.

At this points I'm having serious doubts that Cam is still with the team. 

I hate the idea of him playing on another team, same way I felt about Pep. But I was very skeptical about the shoulder clean up procedure even before the first game. I think with something like that, especially at the ripe age of 30, it really does need a year to fully heal.

Just now, Tbe said:

I’m wondering if there really is an injury. Maybe Cam has just been playing that badly because his new throwing motion has wrecked his accuracy. 

His accuracy has been fine, his strength and stamina are what’s holding him back and I assume pain. Those are the reason the throws are off.

Archived