• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kyle Allen presser transcript

Jeremy Igo

Panthers Quarterback Kyle Allen

On how special it was coming home:

“It’s cool. It’s the first time I’ve ever played in this stadium. I have a lot of people here, a lot of family, a lot of friends, friends on the other team. It’s special coming home, but it’s special getting in the win column this year. We’ve struggled a couple of weeks. We’ve been close. We’ve been really close, and it’s cool to see a complete game, complementary football, everyone doing their part and coming away with the victory.”

On what people who didn’t know much about him learned after his play today:

“Watch the tape and ask them. I don’t know. I’m just doing my job and playing football, but I think if you look at this team, I think that they will learn that we’re going to keep fighting, and I knew that. The team knew that the first two weeks, but we’re going to keep fighting. It’s just been three weeks. We’re going to keep going. It’s going to be a long season.”

On how important it was for some of their playmakers, specifically TE Greg Olsen RB Christian McCaffrey and WR DJ Moore, to rise to the occasion with him:

“It was huge, and I think it’s huge for everyone on the field, including the O-line. If you look back at the tape, I had time all day to throw. It was huge from them, and like I said, we played complementary football. People were making plays when their number was called. You see Greg had two touchdowns. Curtis had one. I forgot who the other one was to, but everyone was making plays when their number was called, so it was a big game for everybody.”

On how big Moore’s touchdown was for them:

“That was just a two-minute drive. We wanted to get points on the board before we went into halftime, give us some momentum because we knew we weren’t going to get the ball back. We knew they did a little different things in two-minute drive, and we had some things to attack it. I was happy that I could hit him in stride, get him going, and he just took off. He does what DJ does; he makes plays when the ball is in his hands. I was just sitting back there yelling, ‘Score! Score! Score! I need to get off the field, come on!’

On everyone seeming to do what was expected:

“Exactly, and that’s how you win football games. You do your job. That’s what we’ve been preaching all week. You do your job. You don’t have to do too much. When your number is called, make plays, and it’s like you said, Jarius (Wright) ran him off, and then Jarius had his time too. He caught that pivot early in the game. It was a great catch. It was a bad throw by me, and late in the game, we went quick. We had him on that over-route and hit him deep; that was a huge play for us. So it’s like I said, everyone, when their number was called, people made plays.”

On what the game was like emotionally for him:

“For me, it’s just football. It’s cool to have all my family and friends here and go out to dinner with them last night. But at the end of the day, I kept telling myself this: have a plan when you come to the line of scrimmage every play, right? And don’t make it more difficult than it needs to be, so one play at a time. It’s a long game. I kept preaching to everybody, Arizona is a team, when you look at them on tape, they came back in multiple games, the game against Detroit, the game against Baltimore, they come back. So for us, it was just about executing every drive and just playing till the end.”

On whether he felt the emotions of being home more at dinner with his family and friends the night before:

“Yeah, it’s just cool to be back in your home state. It’s been a while since I’ve been back here. It’s cool to have that support, all the friends and family who support me, and who have supported me my whole career. And it’s cool to play back home, and I know sitting back right now, and getting to look back on it, yeah, it’s awesome. But at the same time it’s just another game.”

On if their offense is designed to operate in such a way that you don’t know where the ball is going on any given play:

“Yeah, 100 percent, and I said that in the production meeting yesterday. When you look at some teams, some teams have one guy, and defenses will double him and try to take him out of the game. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a defense try to double one of our guys, because we have so many different guys with different skillsets. So it’s tough, and they try and combat that by mixing up coverages, disguising stuff. But it’s like I said, when people had their number called today, they made plays.”

On the support between him and Christian Kirk:

“It’s huge, man, it’s huge. We’ve both been through so much together since high school, and even last year when I wasn’t on a team, he was out here helping me because I was out in Arizona. And we just support each other through it all. He has obviously had a monstrous career and he’s going to continue that monstrous career. He’s a great player and a great friend, and he’s a really good teammate. It awesome to play against him tonight.”

On his excitement after Greg Olsen’s touchdown and what was going through his mind:

“Yeah, it was a huge play in the game. That was a huge play in the game. We needed a touchdown on that, we needed it. We had the one the play before that got batted down, Curtis was wide open, so it was huge. It’s a third down play, I think those third down plays, the red zone plays, the team that makes more of those plays is normally going to win the game. So, it was huge. I was feeling the emotions a little bit on that one.”

On whether his act of focusing on one play at a time each time he lines up at the line of scrimmage is meditative for him:

“Yeah, 100%, and I think it’s a lot of self-talk for me. I think as a quarterback, you can look at the clock, you can look at what happened before, you can look in the future, and your mind is just kind of going different ways. For me, I literally talk out loud and I tell myself, have a plan, have a plan, have a plan. And you don’t need to make it more difficult than it needs to be. Play within the play. Norv and Scott and the whole offensive staff are going to draw up great plays throughout the week, and they’re going to tell you what to do, so just execute it. So, yeah, it is a little bit meditative.”

On whether one of his teammates came to him to talk through what it would be like for him, especially with their adversity to start the season:

“Um, no, I think just as a team we understand where we’re at. We understand the talent we have, we understand that we are able to do these things on a consistent basis, and we’ve just been missing a little bit. So, I think we talked about it all week, just do the little things right, like you said, and just execute it. I don’t think there was much that needed to be said. I think we knew it, we just had to go out and do it.”

On the process of putting together today’s game plan and if he gave Norv Turner and Scott Turner his input:

“Somewhat, but really it’s up to them. That’s what I tell Scott, I say ‘You just tell me what to do and I’ll do it,’ that’s what I tell Scott. They’re always coming up with great game plans. We were confident coming into this week like we are most weeks. It was a great game plan.”

On the defense’s performance:

“Huge. That’s like I said on the field, they came up when it mattered. They showed up when it mattered and they had a lot of long drives, they were dinking and dunking all over the field. They had a lot of long drives and they held the ball which is not normal for that offense. When we needed them the most at the end of the game they came up and got those stops and that’s huge because they were on the field a lot tonight. If you look at the time of possession for that type of offense they were on the field a lot. All those sacks, the interceptions (were) huge. Won us the game.”

On the possibility of starting in Houston next week:

“If it is that way, it is that way. It’s just another game, another opponent and a good opponent in that part."

Archived