• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What now? Well, I have thoughts.

Jeremy Igo

Lot of knee jerk reactions in here. I have already seen Kyle Allen compared to Drew Brees after this game.. after his abysmal he looked in the preseason I could have never seen this coming. Not that I'm not excited for his success but come on.. are some us just excited to see someone other than Newton under center or what?

5 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

Lot of knee jerk reactions in here. I have already seen Kyle Allen compared to Drew Brees after this game.. after his abysmal he looked in the preseason I could have never seen this coming. Not that I'm not excited for his success but come on.. are some us just excited to see someone other than Newton under center or whar?

Why do you keep bringing up preseason? When has Cam once looked good in preseason? And if you think they ran a real offense in preseason then there isn’t much anyone can do to help you.

2 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

Why do you keep bringing up preseason? When has Cam once looked good in preseason? And if you think they ran a real offense in preseason then there isn’t much anyone can do to help you.

I brought up the preseason once? Its justifiable if all we have is that and a two game sample of the guy. Not sure I need much help I'm giving you the facts and your looking at bringing in newton as an example. My point was it's not fair to compare anybody to drew brees and based off the preseason it applies to allen as well.

1 minute ago, micnificent28 said:

I brought up the preseason once? Its justifiable if all we have is that and a two game sample of the guy. Not sure I need much help I'm giving you the facts and your looking at bringing in newton as an example. My point was it's not fair to compare anybody to drew brees and based off the preseason it applies to allen as well.

I haven’t seen a brees comparison, and I brought up Cam not playing well in preseason because nothing from preseason rarely translates to regular season. My apologies if I got you confused with someone else who kept making the preseason argument.

23 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

I haven’t seen a brees comparison, and I brought up Cam not playing well in preseason because nothing from preseason rarely translates to regular season. My apologies if I got you confused with someone else who kept making the preseason argument.

I not confused at. You can attribute bad play to play calling and game planning but accuracy isn't a game planable trait I would assume? I mean if your passes are on point they are on point no matter if you call a waggle or a x clown. Plays can get you a better window and that's where game planning comes in but accuracy is what it is.

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

They represent very different styles of quarterbacking.

Newton has always been in the Brett Favre mold (shotgun blast to the general vicinity) whereas Allen is more like Brees (sniper rifle to a specific spot).

Of course, whenever you make stylistic comparisons people think you're comparing ability level and...

2892767-2949414195-2yffw.jpg

This is the reference I was referring to..

33 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

I think you were being a bit to specific.. wouldn't a Cam is a gun slinger and Allen is a pocket passer or precision passer had a greater effect?

Brett Favre was a gunslinger.

Tim Couch was a pocket passer.

Which would you rather have?

(stylistic comparisons <> quality comparisons)

6 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

My immediate thought when I saw the touch passes drop into place was that maybe Turner's offense is more suited to Allen than Cam.  At a minimum, it might be that it gives Allen a chance to excel. 

That said, let's remember that the last time we saw a reasonably healthy Cam Newton in Turner's offense, the Panthers were an improbable 6-2.  Turner is capable of adjusting his offense to the QB's strengths, although I am not sure he likes it.  My knock on Norv has always been that he wants the offense to run his way or else.....even when something other than his way is being very effective on a given day.

Well, when you listen to Troy Aikman talk about how to play in Norv’s system....that has never been a description of Cam.  

I mean Cam is a superior football player to Allen.   But Allen might produce better results when asked to do X in a situation. 

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

Well, when you listen to Troy Aikman talk about how to play in Norv’s system....that has never been a description of Cam.  

I mean Cam is a superior football player to Allen.   But Allen might produce better results when asked to do X in a situation. 

Jeff Garcia was gold running a West Coast Offense but sh-t running anything else.

System matters.

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Brett Favre was a gunslinger.

Tim Couch was a pocket passer.

Which would you rather have?

(stylistic comparisons <> quality comparisons)

So again your saying allen is closer to Drew brees.. like your zeroing in on his accuracy being tremendous vs it being good. Before this week I wasn't even sure his accuracy was good.. now we saying  "allen is drew brees like in term of style"... I know I would rather have a accurate passer but the specifics to which your comparing.. Brees might be the most accurate passer ever.. 

Allen got one week off football vs the team that had the number one pick in draft..

Archived