• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What now? Well, I have thoughts.

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Steve_Smith_Sr. said:

Let's replace Kyle Allen, with Colin Kaepernick and he played the same game last night with the same results - can you imagine what this site and sports talk would be today?

Thank God that did not happen!

But, there was no reason to think it would, Keeperknack doesn't have the passing skills that Kyle has.

Dang Kyle threw that ball well yesterday.

16 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Great win today, much needed for the fan base.

What to do at QB?

You don't bench Kyle Allen after that type of performance, especially with the easiest portion of the schedule still ahead. You play him and see if he sustains that type of extremely high level of play.

What about Cam?

Cam's foot sprain was given two weeks to heal in preseason, and it got reinjured on a simple scramble. Obviously it needs more time.

The solution is simple.

You play Kyle Allen for at least the next two weeks and let Cam fully heal his foot. If at that time Kyle Allen is still playing at a high level you keep him in. You never bench a QB with a hot hand. If he looks average to below average, you put Cam back in.

Above all else, the Panthers need to keep winning.

Agreed, agreed & super agreed. Cam is not done for the season, nor done for his career. Sure seems like it, but he hasn't been 100% healthy since 2016 preseason. Allen has earned his right to start & this is his chance to shine.

Once he begins to fail & Cam is healthy, then enter Newton. Until then, we're living in Kyle Allen Town.

joel.png

I'm happy the Panthers won. Im happy Allen looked good doing it. Part of me really wants to go 12-4 and take a steamroller to the playoffs. And part of me doesnt because I really dont want Ron to continue as head coach. 

Do I think Allen is the long term solution? it's to early to tell. I think Cam has masked RR deficiencies for a long time and we've really seen it in the past 11 games. I dont want Allen to do the same thing.

On the one hand I really want that short term success of a winning season again. On the other, if it brings another 4-5 years of mediocrity via  RR extension, I'm not going to feel good.

10 hours ago, SBiii said:

Your post is total nonsense.

The other poster made an assertion that Ron had kept Cam from attending other games when injured and I was just curious when that was? 

I'm pretty sure Cam has only missed 5 games in his career.  Two of those were last year and he was in attendance at the away game in New Orleans the last game of the season, the Falcons game was in Charlotte. 

That would only leave 3 other games Cam might have been told to stay home for so doesn't get too "excited on the sidelines"...

...might you know which one he is referencing?

FYI....this is more of a referendum on Ol' Rowboat vs. Cam (which clearly you don't comprehend).

You literally posted in other threads about Cam being selfish and trying to start a conspiracy. You posted pictures of Greg Olsen attending home games hurt trying to play it off like Cam chose not to attend this game. 

You have no knowledge of the inner working of the team

You have no knowledge of Cam’s rehab/therapy requirements for this injury

You have multiple times tried implying Cam is selfish and that this whole thing is a conspiracy 

You are a total see through piece of poo with the story you’re trying to start. It’s why others have also called you out.

Once again stop being a fuging creep and be an actual human being or go fug yourself both options are still readily available 

4 hours ago, ECUPantherFan said:

He’s 2-0 as a starter.  So far, you’re wrong.  We’ll see what happens.  Enjoy the win!

I’m not wrong. A lot of good QBs can have a few games. Some even have a good season (Derek Anderson). He beat a saints team that wasn’t trying to win and currently the worst team in the league. 

58 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Last 11 games

• Cam Newton (injured) 0-9
  • Kyle Allen 2-0 (on practice squad for 8 games last year, 5 total games on active roster since being promoted)

What does this say about Rivera?  Anything? 

That was my point when I said I'm not far from throwing things if I ever hear him say "<Insert injured player name here> gives us the best chance to win."  That is just an excuse for not changing starters, at QB or any other position, when somebody is injured and it is hampering their performance.

I finally got to see NFL.com's highlights.  Allen showed some touch on a few passes.  They were passes I'm not sure Cam would have completed when he is healthy.  That is not to say I want Allen over Cam, or I think Allen is a better QB than Cam, just a different set of assets. 

I will say this: Houston looked pretty good yesterday, too, so we may get a quick benchmark this week.

34 minutes ago, WoahW said:

You literally posted in other threads about Cam being selfish and trying to start a conspiracy. You posted pictures of Greg Olsen attending home games hurt trying to play it off like Cam chose not to attend this game. 

You have no knowledge of the inner working of the team

You have no knowledge of Cam’s rehab/therapy requirements for this injury

You have multiple times tried implying Cam is selfish and that this whole thing is a conspiracy 

You are a total see through piece of poo with the story you’re trying to start. It’s why others have also called you out.

Once again stop being a fuging creep and be an actual human being or go fug yourself both options are still readily available 

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.  Good luck out there.  Mute.

59 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

Why the hell did Heinikie ever start?

This is a serious question to be asked. Also, why draft Will Grier?   On the flip side Hurney did bring in Allen to the roster. So yeah they didn't put a ton of faith in him but they did sign him.

The next few games are going to be really interesting.

8 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

That was my point when I said I'm not far from throwing things if I ever hear him say "<Insert injured player name here> gives us the best chance to win."  That is just an excuse for not changing starters, at QB or any other position, when somebody is injured and it is hampering their performance.

I finally got to see NFL.com's highlights.  Allen showed some touch on a few passes.  They were passes I'm not sure Cam would have completed when he is healthy.  That is not to say I want Allen over Cam, or I think Allen is a better QB than Cam, just a different set of assets. 

I will say this: Houston looked pretty good yesterday, too, so we may get a quick benchmark this week.

They represent very different styles of quarterbacking.

Newton has always been in the Brett Favre mold (shotgun blast to the general vicinity) whereas Allen is more like Brees (sniper rifle to a specific spot).

Of course, whenever you make stylistic comparisons people think you're comparing ability level and...

2892767-2949414195-2yffw.jpg

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

They represent very different styles of quarterbacking.

Newton has always been in the Brett Favre mold (shotgun blast to the general vicinity) whereas Allen is more like Brees (sniper rifle to a specific spot).

Of course, whenever you make stylistic comparisons people think you're comparing ability level and...

2892767-2949414195-2yffw.jpg

My immediate thought when I saw the touch passes drop into place was that maybe Turner's offense is more suited to Allen than Cam.  At a minimum, it might be that it gives Allen a chance to excel. 

That said, let's remember that the last time we saw a reasonably healthy Cam Newton in Turner's offense, the Panthers were an improbable 6-2.  Turner is capable of adjusting his offense to the QB's strengths, although I am not sure he likes it.  My knock on Norv has always been that he wants the offense to run his way or else.....even when something other than his way is being very effective on a given day.

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

Last 11 games

• Cam Newton (injured) 0-9
  • Kyle Allen 2-0 (on practice squad for 8 games last year, 5 total games on active roster since being promoted)

What does this say about Rivera?  Anything? 

Says a lot about how Ron is a fuging moron at evaluating talent

Just now, Sgt Schultz said:

My immediate thought when I saw the touch passes drop into place was that maybe Turner's offense is more suited to Allen than Cam.  At a minimum, it might be that it gives Allen a chance to excel. 

That said, let's remember that the last time we saw a reasonably healthy Cam Newton in Turner's offense, the Panthers were an improbable 6-2.  Turner is capable of adjusting his offense to the QB's strengths, although I am not sure he likes it.  My knock on Norv has always been that he wants the offense to run his way or else.....even when something other than his way is being very effective on a given day.

People get hyped up thinking there's only one way to win. It's never been true and it isn't now.

Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana are about as different as you could possibly imagine. Both won four Super Bowls.

Sometimes you throw the ball way downfield and your guy catches it and gets tackled immediately but gets big yards (think most passes to Greg Olsen).

Other times you hit a receiver perfectly in stride at medium yardage but the route and the ball placement allow him to run for a lot more (like DJ Moore yesterday).

People need to worry less about the how and more about the "did we do it or not".

Archived