• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ok let's hear it. Predictions for Carolina at Arizona

Jeremy Igo

It all comes down to Rivera.  

Are the Panthers good enough to go on the road and win a game against a so-so team that sucked last year and has a rookie QB in his third ever game?  Yes.

Will there be any sign that this coaching staff understands how to do that? That is the question.

Backs against the wall, staring down 0-3 and the increasing likelihood that if this thing goes south in a hurry heads will roll...

I’d like to think we’ll come out 1-2, but...

I still think the Panthers will go into AZ underprepared.  They will underperform.  Maybe it will be close at some point, but I just see the little mistakes adding up to some truly unfortunate momentum changes in this game.

On the road, every mistake is magnified.

AZ has nothing to lose and will be relaxed and focused.  Panthers will start out looking like they could win this thing, then there will be lapses in focus and suddenly AZ has the ball in good field position.

Plus...and I mean this for real...the best narrative for the NFL is the rise of Murray and the decline of the Panthers.  I find that games like this often favor which ever story is the best narrative for the corporate interest.  What helps the NFL more: Kyle Allen leads a mediocre Panthers over and even more mediocre Cardinals, OR Murray balls out and puts up a highlight reel as the lowly Panthers trip over their own stupid feet?

The second one.

Probably another grinding loss.

Panthers 20

Cardinals 27

Cam has played his last game as a Panther.

A. Kyle Allen balls out and we just roll with the hot hand and sideline Cam as a Result.

B. We lose go 0-3, lose again to Houston and drop to 0-4 with Cam still sidelined, at that point season is done and Cam will just go on IR then next season we save 20 million in cap by not re signing him.

Not out of the realm of possibility that the Tampa Bay game could very well have been Cam’s last game in the black and blue

I realize that everyone has been on pins and needles waiting for my reaction, so without further adieu:

The problem has not been defense---it has been offense.  If you look at Cam's stats, if we had an average performing QB in either game we win them both--blame RR, the OL, Norv, etc., but the QB was missing throws when those other factors  were not factors.

As a member of a team, the QB play can inspire or demoralize.  The odds of Allen being better than Cam's last 8 games or so are high---but the odds of him becoming the starter are low.  We need average from Allen, and if he plays well, he may achieve it.

I would like to add that Allen's career (college, pros) has been a whirlwind--new systems, new coaches, etc.  Allen now has no real pressure, and he has had time to mature and develop.  The light comes on for different people at different times---think Jake Delhomme for context.

I can't help thinking Allen is going to play well and win the game.  As much as this next statement will piss off Cam's nut huggers, it will be good for the team, for Cam, and for the GM--who has to negotiate (or not) a new deal for Cam soon. 

Panthers 25  (Allen throws for 250 yards, 2 tds, and rushes for 40 yards)

Cards 20

3 hours ago, Achilles said:

It all comes down to Rivera.  

Are the Panthers good enough to go on the road and win a game against a so-so team that sucked last year and has a rookie QB in his third ever game?  Yes.

Will there be any sign that this coaching staff understands how to do that? That is the question.

Backs against the wall, staring down 0-3 and the increasing likelihood that if this thing goes south in a hurry heads will roll...

I’d like to think we’ll come out 1-2, but...

I still think the Panthers will go into AZ underprepared.  They will underperform.  Maybe it will be close at some point, but I just see the little mistakes adding up to some truly unfortunate momentum changes in this game.

On the road, every mistake is magnified.

AZ has nothing to lose and will be relaxed and focused.  Panthers will start out looking like they could win this thing, then there will be lapses in focus and suddenly AZ has the ball in good field position.

Plus...and I mean this for real...the best narrative for the NFL is the rise of Murray and the decline of the Panthers.  I find that games like this often favor which ever story is the best narrative for the corporate interest.  What helps the NFL more: Kyle Allen leads a mediocre Panthers over and even more mediocre Cardinals, OR Murray balls out and puts up a highlight reel as the lowly Panthers trip over their own stupid feet?

The second one.

Probably another grinding loss.

Panthers 20

Cardinals 27

I still believe this Panthers “team” is actually pretty dang strong.  We just have had a hurt QB.

nothing week 1 or 2 suggest otherwise IMO.  Even with our OL play we should of put up 30 vs Tampa.  The plays were there to dominate.   

Prediction:

Luke snags an INT. Maybe a defensive score.

Dime defense plays solid, efficient coverage. Cockrell can have a big day tomorrow. It’s a great opportunity for a great comeback story. 

Allen runs PA on their LB’s. Thomas gets more touches. Olsen, if 100%, may have another 100 yard day. Keep it simple. Get 22 in rhythm early, and run bootlegs of that action.  

Carolina 23, Arizona 21

Time to end this horrific skid. 

I’m going with Carolina 28-20. Allen’s arm opens it up for Samuel, which gives Moore and CMC more space to work with underneath. Really need Williams to play descent, if not bench him for Little. Our defense gets a good turnover from the rookie Murray. Burns is due a good sack/forced fumble this game.

Archived