• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Never forget, Everything happening now was always a known possibility/probablitity

Jeremy Igo

19 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

How do you know we didn't ?  Maybe we did and he wanted to be guaranteed the starting position.  Would you have made that deal ?

McCown has been content to be a backup for several years now.

And offseason reporting confirmed that we pretty much didn't take a look at anybody. They decided early on that Kyle Allen was the guy.

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hurney and Rivera knew full well the chances of Cam playing an entire season were very low. Everyone knew to stay very cautiously optimistic and hoped for a real contingency plan this year.

Cam being out is not an excuse. It is not some sort of unknown variable. It was always part of the problem with this season.

That said, this is not an excuse for Hurney or Rivera. They must win or they must go.

What would you have done differently? Did you want Tyrod Taylor at $3.5mil this year (and a $7.5mil cap hit in ‘20)?

Bridgewater didn’t exactly light it up Sunday.

Funny to the people thinking McCown or Chase Daniel would have been real difference makers this year. Just because they might be marginal upgrades over Kyle Allen doesn't mean we should have picked them up. What would either be worth, 1 more win than Allen? And it's not like they're young with possible untapped potential either. Low floor, low ceiling. Not upset we didn't go after them. 

Also let's see how well the Saints do with their high priced backup in Bridgewater. 

2018 stats:

Josh McCown: 4 games, 54.5% completion, 539 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT, 55.8 rating

Kyle Allen: 2 games, 64.5% completion, 266 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INT, 113.1 rating

And people are really whining about us not signing McCown in the off-season.

Those are the same people who would’ve cried “RON AND HIS VETS” if we played McCown over Allen in the case of a Cam injury this year.

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

2018 stats:

Josh McCown: 4 games, 54.5% completion, 539 yards, 1 TD, 4 INT, 55.8 rating

Kyle Allen: 2 games, 64.5% completion, 266 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INT, 113.1 rating

And people are really whining about us not signing McCown in the off-season.

Those are the same people who would’ve cried “RON AND HIS VETS” if we played McCown over Allen in the case of a Cam injury this year.

Bingo

The short-term future of this team (which is the only future Rivera and Hurney will have if things don't turn around) is with Kyle Allen being successful. There's no going back now, anyhow

Rivera/Hurney knew this could be an issue this year. If they thought an outside QB would have been a better option, I'm sure Tepper would have supported.

I think Kyle Allen was the best choice then and I do now.

Regardless, that ship has sailed. They've cast their lot with Allen/Grier, and their performance will now decide their fate.

I hope it works out. I mean that

Still beyond amazing how Marty and Ron KNEW there could be issues that arose with Cam during the season and decided to roll the dice on Allen and a third round pick who anyone with just an iota of NFL sense knew it would take more than a year to get him ready.

I like Ron, he’s a great guy and the players love him. I think Marty has done a much better job his second time around but if this team falls apart because these two didn’t at least try to get a competent b/u then I will have no problem with Tepper showing them the door

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hurney and Rivera knew full well the chances of Cam playing an entire season were very low. Everyone knew to stay very cautiously optimistic and hoped for a real contingency plan this year.

Cam being out is not an excuse. It is not some sort of unknown variable. It was always part of the problem with this season.

That said, this is not an excuse for Hurney or Rivera. They must win or they must go.

If Allen and Grier aren’t competent back-ups, I’d clean house immediately because Cam’s health was the team’s biggest concern in the off season

5 hours ago, blackcat said:

RR and Hurney sealed their fate when they failed to sign a legit back up QB.  Drafting Grier was fine, you always want to develop a QB, but rolling with Allen is going to get them fired.

Yep.... Tepper said after last season that the Panthers won’t go into another one without a viable backup and that is exactly what Rivera and Hurney did.   

8 minutes ago, jtm said:

If Allen and Grier aren’t competent back-ups, I’d clean house immediately because Cam’s health was the team’s biggest concern in the off season

It's been a concern for more than this past off season.   Remember, this team hasn't drafted a QB in years.  This is too little too late.

6 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It's been a concern for more than this past off season.   Remember, this team hasn't drafted a QB in years.  This is too little too late.

It’s been a concern for most fans ever since DA actually played in a game and everyone realized he couldn’t play any more. 

Panthers should have gone after Hoyer or another legit back up. 

Archived