• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney 2.0

thefuzz

2 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Is just like to point out Gettleman 2.0 is now 5-13  Everybody dumping on Hurney were the most faithful to Gettleman and still think he was a better GM.

Rivera will be the death of Hurney much like Fox was. Sadly I don’t think he was ever given the authority to fire either one.

Why does Gettleman continue to be brought up in this thread?

This is NOT a comparison thread between DG and MH, this is a comparison thread between Hurney 1.0 and Hurney 2.0.

On 9/14/2019 at 9:11 AM, Icege said:

This team came into the season knowing that QB was a question mark and the OL was not good enough. The answer? A 3rd rd comp pick on a local kid that has looked terribad, a reach on a LT that they tried to trade up into the first for that was regularly killed by talent evaluators, a 6th round swing lineman, and a center coming off of a rough leg break. Need WRs that can get separation? Go bring in the league leader in separation but only use him for ST.

Those in charge have not done their jobs.

You're so biased it's pathetic. The only move that's awful of the ones you mentioned was Greg Little, which was a disastrous choice thankfully not a result of an even worse trade.

But who was a better center in free agency?

Who was a better tackle in free agency? 

Which of those could we afford on a good contract?

Looked terribad, huh? Grier had a higher QB rating in his first preseason than Cam did in his. Was Cam terribad going 24 of 57? Maybe you should get rid of your biases or at least make them a little less obvious.

Based on everything you've said, there's no reason not to believe you're the fan who boos when we take a delay of game penalty on a punt from midfield.

8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

That just cannot be so?????

The point of the thread was for folks who have been using the verbiage "Hurney 2.0" as if he was miraculously better than before.  I did not believe so, hence me asking them for what they have seen that convinced them that was so.

He's marginally better. He's only been the GM for what, a year and a half tops? He hasn't doled out any bad contracts. He got the best center and best tackle available for what we were going to spend. He can't help they've underachieved. Name a better tackle or center who was available for the money. 

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

He's marginally better. He's only been the GM for what, a year and a half tops? He hasn't doled out any bad contracts. He got the best center and best tackle available for what we were going to spend. He can't help they've underachieved. Name a better tackle or center who was available for the money. 

1 year, 7 months.

First order of business was to extend TD and Olsen with Olsen now having an $8M cap hit next year, and back issues after 1 game.  That was bad contract no. 1.

Extending Gano (after letting Butker walk) was bad contract no. 2, after bad move number 3.

He just kicked the can down the road with KK's restructuring.

We still haven't gotten Bradberry or Shaq locked down long term.

We went into the season trotting out a coming off a bad injury RT expecting him to play LT even when we have  a very injured QB.

Traded up in the draft...a classic Hurney disaster move, and from the word around the league wanted to trade back into the 1st to get Little.

Decided to go with pass rush (after having the most expensive D Line in the league) instead of Dillard at left tackle.

Walked into last season knowing he had a QB with shoulder issues and had backups on board that had never started a single NFL game.

I mean....I could go on and on....I'm looking for the good moves so far, since he has been back, that would lead people to think that he really is 2.0.

If the only thing he hasn't done (giving out back breaking, back loaded contracts and restructuring those under contract) is his best attribute....then I guess we got that going for us.

On 9/13/2019 at 4:26 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Hurney fell on his sword to keep Richardson from firing Rivera back in 2012.

I think it's pretty safe to say that they're "hitched" to each other. And if they do go down, I firmly expect them to go down together.

that got weird.  i hope i never think about that again

Biggest blame I put on Hurney is how he dealt with the qb position. They knew Cam would be coming off surgery and there might be complications yet he proceeded to keep Allen and draft a guy that may not be ready for multiple years.

And what about the o-line. Cam is still getting crushed and the two guys everyone was so excited about are playing like crap 

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

This.

End of last season Norv was saying they didn't want to go through the same thing next year.

And yet, here we are again, without an experienced backup QB.

It was a fireable offense last year, this year he should have been kicked out of the building cartoon style.

On 9/13/2019 at 2:05 PM, thefuzz said:

You gonna gloss over Gano/Butker, keeping Torry at a cost of 5M last season, extensions to TD and Olsen?  Worth pointing out any of those?

Williams can't play either T position and we paid him 8M when no one else would touch him.

Please keep going.

Those were basically nothing in the grand scheme of things. Really low impact, safe kind of moves. Whining about Gano over Butler or keeping an established vet like Smith at a time when that's really what we needed is just nitpicking in my opinion.TD had a decent season, and was let go when deemed expendable. Olsen has unfortunately been hurt, but still gets it done when healthy, obviously. The contracts here weren't budget breakers!

Stop being so petty!

The good has far outweighed the bad. Rivera and Turner and Cam---some combination of them and their relationships between each other---maybe too little or too much trust and leeway---have been the main problem (and Hurney's main problem that may get the 2.0 version of him fired).

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Those were basically nothing in the grand scheme of things. Really low impact, safe kind of moves. Whining about Gano over Butler or keeping an established vet like Smith at a time when that's really what we needed is just nitpicking in my opinion.TD had a decent season, and was let go when deemed expendable. Olsen has unfortunately been hurt, but still gets it done when healthy, obviously. The contracts here weren't budget breakers!

Stop being so petty!

The good has far outweighed the bad. Rivera and Turner and Cam---some combination of them and their relationships between each other---maybe too little or too much trust and leeway---have been the main problem (and Hurney's main problem that may get the 2.0 version of him fired).

So 3.6M for Gano this year and 3M more next is nothing? 25M for Poe is nothing? 6M for 17 receptions from Smith? The Butker mistake cost us 15M alone. 

When is enough to not be petty?  

33 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Stop being so petty!

There is a hard cap in the NFL, Marty has never shown that he is good at managing it.

Olsens deal was stupid.  Cutting Butker for Gano, then overpaying him is stupid, allowing Torrey to make his full $5M when he had $0 in dead cap was stupid.  Do we need protection for Cam?  Hell no, go get McCoy, Burns, and Poe....and still not be able to get to the opposing QB.

We are a dumb team.

Archived