• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney 2.0

thefuzz

4 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

It’s sad you’re so emotionally heart broken they have to be spelled out. And I said seemed right at the time.

Irvin, McCoy, held out got Williams for cheap(is it his fault he got thrown to LT?), cut Torrey, Burns but man this is getting tiring just to appease a heart broken knee jerk fool. You continue to do what you do.

You gonna gloss over Gano/Butker, keeping Torry at a cost of 5M last season, extensions to TD and Olsen?  Worth pointing out any of those?

Williams can't play either T position and we paid him 8M when no one else would touch him.

Please keep going.

Record hasnt been good

But he can't control Cam's shoulder

Ive not been overly impressed

He did bring in Reid, but I think that had more to do with Tepper

He did bring in McCoy, but the more you saw after the fact.  That was all on Cam, the vets, and the locker room who recruited him,  took him out convinced him to come etc.  All Hurney did was draft the paperwork

Paradis- was his first big FA, Paradis's GM had concerns.  We laughed it off.  But Paradis has been terrible so far.

Draft- he still has hit the 1st rounders, which he always has.  

Outside- he has missed outside of a few

Thomas has shown flashes.  Jackson had a good rookie season but has fallen back to earth and who knows what he will be.  Gaulden has been a bust, theyve already given up on him as a FS.  Haynes has shown potential as a situational guy. 

Drafted a LT who shocked people that we drafted him that high and even blew peoples minds we considered him at 16.  A guy who was a project.  When there were guys Everyone outside of Hurney had higher.  One of them is already starting at LG for their team and had the 2nd highest grade in the league for a OG last week.  While Hurneys guy got abused in camp, didnt look good in preseason etc.

Drafted a QB who IMO wouldn't have drafted or been so high on had he not been local.  Jist felt like 

A. The Armanti effect

B. The Clausen effect where he paniced for a QB

Grier was essentially about the same player as Allen.  Look at their history, size, tools, build, athletic ability etc.

His drafting oevrall has been a C

Hurneys job should no means be safe.  

He has learned some things from last time.  The time where he was the NFLs worst GM, got fired, and never got a phone call from any pther team about any position.

Good guy but he isnt the guy for the job

I agree there has been some improvement with Hurney but 2.0 isn't good, just better than 1.0. That's like saying the turd is better because it doesn't have corn in it and disregards the fact it is a turd. His best skill is kissing the owner's ass and massaging his prostate. We should be able to do better than this.

45 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I'm wondering if Ron and Dave worked so well because Dave wasn't afraid to hurt Ron's feelings and tell him "no" when he was being a dumbass. 

That's part of it.

Rivera is a poor talent evaluator. That can be compensated for if you have a GM who's strong in that area. Hurney isn't. His misses generally equal or outnumber his hits. That probably shouldn't be shocking given that he has zero experience as a scout. This is also why you can expect him to defer more to Rivera.

As to his performance, just like last time his drafts are good in the first round but highly inconsistent beyond it. Meanwhile his free agency pickups and roster decisions have been very questionable. Yeah, some of that is on Rivera, but if Marty is only going to be a rubber stamp for the head coach, what's the point?

I'll throw in two things I've gotten from a prior Panthers employee who, for the record, likes Hurney and wants him to succeed but also acknowledges that he's doing a job his resume' doesn't really qualify him for.

One, Marty isn't a long term planner. it's not an accident that we ended up in cap hell before because Marty is always in "win now" mode. Next year be damned. You just can't build sustained success like that in the NFL.

Two, contrary to his predecessor, Marty does believe it's possible to be "just one or two players away" from a Super Bowl team. He started believing it after 2003 and operated accordingly. The results? Well, not good.

Bottom Line: Marty Hurney is a genuinely nice guy who occasionally hits on a good player (frequently when he's got a high draft pick) but doesn't have what it takes to build a winning roster. He's just not consistently good enough. 

And right now, same as his first stint, the longer he's in charge the worse we get. It just didn't take quite as long this time.

If we're going to have any kind of sustained, consistent success, we really do need somebody who has the qualifications to be a GM.

Marty just doesn't.

22 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

You gonna gloss over Gano/Butker, keeping Torry at a cost of 5M last season, extensions to TD and Olsen?  Worth pointing out any of those?

Williams can't play either T position and we paid him 8M when no one else would touch him.

Please keep going.

Plus paydays for guys like Dontari Poe, Eric "shoulder tackle" Reid Tre Boston and Matt Paradis, among others.

The biggest mistake I see people make with Marty is did they allow positive feelings about individual decisions to cloud the big picture.

In reality, two or three solid draft picks doesn't make up for building an overall mediocre roster.

2 minutes ago, jbland said:

Yet, Ron went to the Super Bowl with Gman. Hurney's biggest issue is himself. 

People frequently try to separate Marty from Ron to absolve him from blame. Truth be told, they did the same with Marty and John Fox.

You can evaluate them individually to a certain level, but in the end they live or die as a team.

Unfortunately for our team, Hurney and Rivera aren't any better a combination than Hurney and Fox were.

I'm ready to move on from both.

44 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Hurney's biggest issue is Ron Rivera.

Hurney hired Ron Rivera, and works closely with him.

You can't really separate the two and try to throw it all on Ron, especially not knowing that Ron was significantly more successful when we had a different GM.

He's not great but he's better than Gettleman. If Cam was even half of his former self we would have certainly made the playoffs last season and would be 2-0 right now. Gettleman left this team in a real mess with many holes and you can't expect every one of them to be filled immediately. I'm hoping we clean house from the top down and that includes Hurney but to try and pin our problems on him is absurd.

Yo @thefuzz get out of my browser, I was literally looking at some numbers earlier related to this 

2011 - 2012: Rivera / Chud / McDermott / Murphy / Hurney / JR (6-10)
2012 - 2013: Rivera / Chud / McDermott / Murphy / Hurney / JR (7-9)
2013 - 2014: Rivera / Shula / McDermott / Rodgers / Gettleman / JR (12-4)
2014 - 2015: Rivera / Shula / McDermott / Rodgers / Gettleman / JR (7-8-1)
2015 - 2016: Rivera / Shula / McDermott / DeHaven / Gettleman / JR (15-1)
2016 - 2017: Rivera / Shula / McDermott / DeHaven / Gettleman / JR (6-10)
2017 - 2018: Rivera / Shula / Wilkes / MCGaughey / Gettleman/Hurney / JR (11-5)
2018 - 2019: Rivera / Turner / Washington / Blac 7-9kburn / Hurney / Tepper (7-9)
2019 - 2020: Rivera / Turner / Washington / Blackburn / Hurney / Tepper (0-2)

Cam Newton/Ron Rivera/Marty Hurney
20-28-0 w/o 2017-2018
31-33-0 w/ 2017-2018

Cam Newton/Ron Rivera/David Gettleman
40-23-1 w/o 2017-2018
51-28-1 w/ 2017-2018

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

He's not great but he's better than Gettleman. If Cam was even half of his former self we would have certainly made the playoffs last season and would be 2-0 right now. Gettleman left this team in a real mess with many holes and you can't expect every one of them to be filled immediately. I'm hoping we clean house from the top down and that includes Hurney but to try and pin our problems on him is absurd.

I want to hear about the good things, in detail, that Marty 2.0 has done for this team so I can be excited again about our current leadership.

Record.  Playoffs.  Long term signings.  Good contracts.  Good personnel moves.  etc.

Archived