• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney 2.0

thefuzz

41 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Jake came in and we went to the SB.

Brady came in for Bledsoe, went to the SB.

Ben came in for Maddox went to the SB.

Foles for Wentz same story.

There are lots of examples of teams being prepared in the case their star QB goes down, we weren't last season and aren't this season prepared for a major Cam injury.

It's a hallmark of the Marty Hurney era.

We need to hire the gm that signed Jake!

21 minutes ago, Car123 said:

We need to hire the gm that signed Jake!

Well....you see, we kinda tried that.

I'll tell you a quick story. 

Hurney 1.0 was actually a decent GM, hell, may have even been pretty good...but then things changed.  He didn't like being Marty 1.0 any longer, that was boring and everything seemed to take too long....so about 2010, Marty 1.0 changed his name to Marty 2.0. 

While the name was cooler, that wasn't nearly as cool as how many E high fives Hurney 2.0 got from fans when he signed not 1 but 2 of our running backs to HUGE fun contracts.  When he signed everyones favorite ironman MLB Beason to a "biggest ever" MLB contract.  When the James Andersons and Amini Silatolu's where hugging you in the locker rooms and hallways.

He was wheeling and dealing in the draft, trading up, giving up next years 1st for the Browns and Otah's of the college game....man this new gig is fun thought Marty 2.0.  He didn't have to worry about getting fired, didn't worry about wins, didn't worry about anything, as his favorite foot massager was alone, at the top of the food chain.

This Marty 2.0 sure was fun.....until it wasn't, and Marty 2.0 instead decided to take his talents to radio (not really his choice, but he was out of ideas on what to do that was fun, and for some reason his best friend had stopped with the direct deposit).

So we went after Marty 1.0, but ended up with Marty 2.0 as could be expected.  

I didn't realize until right now that it's no wonder so few posters here can tell me the difference between Marty 1.0 and 2.0....they weren't here for the true 1.0. 

Silly me.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Josh McCown looked pretty good in relief duty this past weekend.

The better managed teams in the league tend to have serviceable backup QBs capable of stepping in at a moments notice to keep their team competitive.  We know this, that is part of what makes them consistently among the better teams in the league.

Panthers have a history of being caught flatfooted when their starting QB goes down. We've been down this road before with Hurney, it wasn't pretty.  

Hell, Cam has been dealing with injury issues that have impacted his ability to play effectively for several seasons now and the best Hurney can come up with (given an extensive amount of lead time) is an undrafted Kyle Allen?

I hope Kyle does well, I really do, but "one game of footage" seems like a pretty big leap of faith when the Panthers entire 2019 season is on the line.

Hurney isn't surviving a losing season. At least he shouldn't. Ron shouldn't either. The "injury" excuse is hot air, we've had the same head coach in place for the better part of a decade. If it's the same old poo, send them packing. Personally I think the only way to alter the downward trajectory of this team is to bring in an offensive minded head coach like we should have done from the start. Until then expect more of the same.

45 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

We didn't even think about bringing in a single QB with playing time last offseason.  We start this one pretty much the same.

Both seasons effectively ended when Cam went down....for the 2nd year in a row.

We didn't prepare, pretty normal for us to do as a franchise.

I don’t understand what you are saying, big was picked in the first round 11th, Brady in the 6th round and Delhome got pick up off the practice squad.

Those were boom or bust backup quarterbacks at the time, guys are clamoring as if we should have gotten a career backup like rgIII, tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick ect, and I was saying I’d rather have a boom or bust guy like Allen or Grier

whose upside is unknown compared to guys who are established backups, also for a backup to see the field, again our coaching staff would have to sit our injured one instead of trotting him on the field 

Just now, Cpt slay a ho said:

I don’t understand what you are saying, big was picked in the first round 11th, Brady in the 6th round and Delphine got pick up off the practice squad.

Those were boom or bust backup quarterbacks at the time, guys are clamoring as if we should have gotten a career backup like rgIII, tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick ect, and I was saying I’d rather have a boom or bust guy like Allen or Grier

whose upside is unknown compared to guys who are established backups, also for a backup to see the field, again our coaching staff would have to sit our injured one instead of trotting him on the field 

I'm not talking about this season, this season is playing out about how I expected...I fully expected Cam to not make it (unfortunate but the writing was on the wall) and for Marty and Ron to have absolutely no idea what to do next so they could be shown the door as they should have been after the new owner came in.  This season is toast, and while I expected Cam to make it to about the half way point before falling off, we didn't realize just how hurt he really was.

I'm pointing more toward last season.  When we knew that Peppers, Kalil, and Davis were all likely hitting the ole dusty trail.  When we had a team that made it to 6-2, even with Cam not being able to push the ball downfield.  Last year was different, and Marty CHOSE to ignore the backup QB position, while knowing that Cam was getting older, and he was injured.

We didn't bring in boom or bust players, we brought in bust players....hopes at best.

We needed to win 4 of the last 8 games to have a shot at the playoffs, and to give Ryan, Pep, and TD a decent farewell from this team....we chose a beer and an Allen.

Marty should have been fired for that goof, instead he's still here, and now he has done the same, except our beer is a Grier, and Allen is still here.

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I'm not talking about this season, this season is playing out about how I expected...I fully expected Cam to not make it (unfortunate but the writing was on the wall) and for Marty and Ron to have absolutely no idea what to do next so they could be shown the door as they should have been after the new owner came in.  This season is toast, and while I expected Cam to make it to about the half way point before falling off, we didn't realize just how hurt he really was.

I'm pointing more toward last season.  When we knew that Peppers, Kalil, and Davis were all likely hitting the ole dusty trail.  When we had a team that made it to 6-2, even with Cam not being able to push the ball downfield.  Last year was different, and Marty CHOSE to ignore the backup QB position, while knowing that Cam was getting older, and he was injured.

We didn't bring in boom or bust players, we brought in bust players....hopes at best.

We needed to win 4 of the last 8 games to have a shot at the playoffs, and to give Ryan, Pep, and TD a decent farewell from this team....we chose a beer and an Allen.

Marty should have been fired for that goof, instead he's still here, and now he has done the same, except our beer is a Grier, and Allen is still here.

This is pretty much hindsight man, before last year cam missed like what 3 games total? He had no injuries or surgery prior to the training camp, might have been one of his healthiest off-seasons.

Y’all have still yet to name the guy you would have brought in.

than we got people complaining about Allen winning a “meaningless” game, so it goes back to my point, once you lose your qb for the year the seasons is essential over. 

And we’re still blaming the gm for the coach trotting a injured qb out there to play, and before someone says that’s a gm problem, no, it’s a Rivera problem cause he did the same thing in 2016 under a different gm

16 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

This is pretty much hindsight man, before last year cam missed like what 3 games total? He had no injuries or surgery prior to the training camp, might have been one of his healthiest off-seasons.

Y’all have still yet to name the guy you would have brought in.

than we got people complaining about Allen winning a “meaningless” game, so it goes back to my point, once you lose your qb for the year the seasons is essential over. 

And we’re still blaming the gm for the coach trotting a injured qb out there to play, and before someone says that’s a gm problem, no, it’s a Rivera problem cause he did the same thing in 2016 under a different gm

This isn't hindsight when I bring it up back then.  Same with Gano and Butker.  Same with Olsens extension.  Same with Cams injuries, especially the shoulder.

It's obvious to me, it HAS to be obvious to those running the team....alas, it isn't.

As to who I would have, at the very least tried to get into the building...I said that back then, and recently too.....Tyrod and Daniels.  Both are quality backups and could carry the team a couple of games if the starter goes down.

You are a shitty GM if you have your attitude.  Starter goes down, throw up your hands and tell the rest of the team sorry, "Cam went down the rest of your mouthbreathers have no shot.  See you in Cabo"

36 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

This isn't hindsight when I bring it up back then.  Same with Gano and Butker.  Same with Olsens extension.  Same with Cams injuries, especially the shoulder.

It's obvious to me, it HAS to be obvious to those running the team....alas, it isn't.

As to who I would have, at the very least tried to get into the building...I said that back then, and recently too.....Tyrod and Daniels.  Both are quality backups and could carry the team a couple of games if the starter goes down.

You are a shitty GM if you have your attitude.  Starter goes down, throw up your hands and tell the rest of the team sorry, "Cam went down the rest of your mouthbreathers have no shot.  See you in Cabo"

Chase Daniels ???

And this is why I said hindsight, you just listed a bunch of free agents you wouldn’t have signed and elected to improve the o line in free agency, when every o line got PAID in 2018 free agency

now signing Chase Daniels(if this is the right one you’re referring to) this dude isnt even qualified to be a solid backup,and tyrod who had a 16 million dollar price tag was feasible back then ??

this isn’t adding up  

24 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

If something seems painfully obvious to you and yet the front office seems to be going against what you consider to be common sense, then do you acknowledge that perhaps there may be something you’re not privy to? For example, the numerous conversations every GM likely has with positional coaches, the head coach, trainers, locker room dynamics, camp performances, etc.? Or do you really feel like you are in the position to be making informed personnel decisions at home on your couch?

Does Hurney strike you as the type of egomaniac to disregard the input of the coaching staff and make his own contrarian personnel decisions? Or do you agree that the decisions he’s making are probably made collectively and collaboratively? In which case, then you can make the case that our coaching staff (positional coaches included) are largely incompetent and terrible talent evaluators...but the focus of this thread is on Hurney.

By all accounts, Gano outperformed Butker all throughout training camp, who was reported to have been struggling. If you, as a GM, decided to cut Gano and hand the job to Butker based off of a very small sample size of preseason kicks, I would consider that to be an objectively irresponsible move based on the circumstances at the time. It would’ve turned out to be the right move, but that wouldn’t have necessarily made it a smart one when it was made.

Fans are by nature reactionary, impulsive, and emotional...that means they will quite often advocate for replacing an underperforming veteran starter with an unknown rookie. More often than not, this can exacerbate the issue because fans don’t often have the objective rationale to consider that things can indeed get a hell of a lot worse...but GMs don’t have the luxury of impulsivity.

Remember how excited people were for Corn Elder when he was drafted and were eager to see him play instead of Munnerlyn? Yeah Munnerlyn stunk, but remember Elder coming in against Seattle? That was probably the worst CB performance of ours since Bene vs. Julio.

Archived