• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney 2.0

thefuzz

24 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Well we don’t know how Allen will perform as a backup because the coaching staff keeps trotting our injured qb out on the field, which makes my point, the coaching staff is making far far more critical mistakes than the gm

True, Ron shouldn't be putting Cam on the field when he is unable to complete basic passes and lacks mobility.  Same issue as last year.

I hope Allen turns out to be something special or at least adequate, but it isn't like this is the first season Hurney has had to deal with an injured Cam.  Hard to believe he headed into 2019 thinking Allen and a rookie 3rd round draft pick were his plan B. 

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

True, Ron shouldn't be putting Cam on the field when he is unable to complete basic passes and lacks mobility.  Same issue as last year.

I hope Allen turns out to be something special or at least adequate, but it isn't like this is the first season Hurney has had to deal with an injured Cam.  Hard to believe he headed into 2019 thinking Allen and a rookie 3rd round draft pick were his plan B. 

I’m in the camp that a adequate backup doesn’t matter, rather a boom or bust guy like Allen or Grier get the start, because there’s only one guy that’s proven he can take a team far as a backup and that’s foles. You’re about to see how much emphasis teams put on backups, watch how Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and The saints perform 

As has been alluded to, over the next year or two we will be in a position to seriously reshape the future of the franchise.

Can anybody really justify putting that future in the hands of a guy for whom the highest praise seems to be "Well you know, maybe he's not as bad as we thought"?

Marty Hurney is not the guy I want steering this ship into the waiting waters ahead.

1 minute ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

You’re about to see how much emphasis teams put on backups, watch how Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and The saints perform 

It will be interesting for sure.  I will tell you, I did watch the Pittsburgh - Seattle game on Sunday and while it was only one game, Mason Rudolph looked every bit like a starting QB.  Seamless would be a good word to describe the transition from Ben Roethlisberger to Mason.  https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/17/steelers-mason-rudolph-qb/

52 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

I’m in the camp that a adequate backup doesn’t matter, rather a boom or bust guy like Allen or Grier get the start, because there’s only one guy that’s proven he can take a team far as a backup and that’s foles. You’re about to see how much emphasis teams put on backups, watch how Jacksonville, Pittsburgh and The saints perform 

Jake came in and we went to the SB.

Brady came in for Bledsoe, went to the SB.

Ben came in for Maddox went to the SB.

Foles for Wentz same story.

There are lots of examples of teams being prepared in the case their star QB goes down, we weren't last season and aren't this season prepared for a major Cam injury.

It's a hallmark of the Marty Hurney era.

One thing that's always bothered me is this team has never been too concerned with development of its backup QBs. I know theres only so much you can do, but after watching Brady get hurt and suspended and seeing the backups ready and able to step in successfully, Foles win a SB when Wentz went down, and following Jake and Cams injuries, development of a backup in your system isn't a luxury, its vital.

57 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Jacksonville already looks to have a pretty good guy as their backup.

12 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

One thing that's always bothered me is this team has never been too concerned with development of its backup QBs. I know theres only so much you can do, but after watching Brady get hurt and suspended and seeing the backups ready and able to step in successfully, Foles win a SB when Wentz went down, and following Jake and Cams injuries, development of a backup in your system isn't a luxury, its vital.

Defensive head coaches...

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Defensive head coaches...

Brady is as reliable as it gets, his coach continues to either bring in, or draft QB after QB that he thinks can step in if something went wrong.

Brees is about as reliable as it gets and Sean has the highest paid backup QB on the roster in the entire NFL.

Rivers is about as reliable as it gets and he has Tyrod (a really good backup) sitting behind him.

Cam has been ailing for the past few seasons, has been a battering ram since his days at Blinn, has had multiple shoulder surgeries over the past 3 years....we went with an Allen and Heineken last season and an Allen and a Grier this season.

Please point to the outlier.

8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Brady is as reliable as it gets, his coach continues to either bring in, or draft QB after QB that he thinks can step in if something went wrong.

Brees is about as reliable as it gets and Sean has the highest paid backup QB on the roster in the entire NFL.

Rivers is about as reliable as it gets and he has Tyrod (a really good backup) sitting behind him.

Cam has been ailing for the past few seasons, has been a battering ram since his days at Blinn, has had multiple shoulder surgeries over the past 3 years....we went with an Allen and Heineken last season and an Allen and a Grier this season.

Please point to the outlier.

I didn't say our head coaches were smart.

30 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Jake came in and we went to the SB.

Brady came in for Bledsoe, went to the SB.

Ben came in for Maddox went to the SB.

Foles for Wentz same story.

There are lots of examples of teams being prepared in the case their star QB goes down, we weren't last season and aren't this season prepared for a major Cam injury.

It's a hallmark of the Marty Hurney era.

All those guys you mentioned ended up being the starter for there teams(besides foles), that’s the same as boom or bust. The notion of having a proven vet backup qbs is what I was disputing 

3 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

All those guys you mentioned ended up being the starter for there teams(besides foles), that’s the same as boom or bust. The notion of having a proven vet backup qbs is what I was disputing 

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.

We didn't even think about bringing in a single QB with playing time last offseason.  We start this one pretty much the same.

Both seasons effectively ended when Cam went down....for the 2nd year in a row.

We didn't prepare, pretty normal for us to do as a franchise.

1 hour ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Considering how last season ended for the Panthers, the management should have made bringing in an experienced backup QB a higher priority.  This problem has literally been going on for years now.

Failure to find an adequate backup QB is part of Hurney's MO no matter if you're talking version 1.0 or 2.0. 

At some point as owner you need to start holding people accountable.

Pittsburgh Steelers, Kansas City Chiefs, New England Patriots and Baltimore Ravens on the other hand are trading away QBs because they have more than they can use.

Hurney is a poor excuse for a GM and his win/loss record reflects that fact.

What backup would have propelled us to the playoffs?

Archived