• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney 2.0

thefuzz

17 minutes ago, Toomers said:

A PK, a WR, a NG, a TE, Searcy, Cockrell, CJ Anderson(and spending money to replace him), a RT(to play LT). 

None of that effects the roster this year or last? 

this man named a guy who couldn’t get on the field because of concussion and a guy who snapped his leg, are we serious right now?? and a guy the coaching staff, just like this year, doesn’t give playing time to but ended up being one of the primary reasons a team advanced to the Super Bowl. Again, he doesn’t assign players there position that’s the coaching staff, a whole lot of finger pointing in the wrong direction in this post 

2 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Gano wasn’t stupid at the time and Olsen, when healthy is still a top te in the game as we saw last Thursday, Poe also looks to be playing better in the 3-4 scheme we have, all these contracts aren’t back breakers or prevent us from getting any one we coveted. If they end up being bad contracts they won’t hamper the panthers going forward. If you’re looking for a list of good that hurney has done since being here I can surely rifle off a Landry list 

sidenote daryl is on a one year deal, and I don’t think we signed him to initial play Lt 

Just because you didn’t think Gano wasn’t a stupid move from the start doesn’t mean many others have been pointing it out for over two years. We have barely played any 3-4 and Poe is nowhere near worth 9.3M. Or the 13M next year. Olsen had his first good game in forever and is costing us 10M+ to play this year. Not worth that. 

Let’s see the Landry list you seem to have ready. Considering you excuse his bad decisions, I’m sure every move was “smart at the time”....lol

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That's because you don't want to see anything other than what you believe. 

Low impact signings and a small cost of doing business are hardly cap killers. Poe's deal was a bargain, as well as Williams'. Everyone thought so at the time, so don't change now. It's not like they're dog meat either.

Everyone?

Us owing 8M in dead cap space after this season once we cut Olsen is low impact/small cost?

What about Gano and his 3M of dead cap next season, or 3M this season?

4 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

this man named a guy who couldn’t get on the field because of concussion and a guy who snapped his leg, are we serious right now?? and a guy the coaching staff, just like this year, doesn’t give playing time to but ended up being one of the primary reasons a team advanced to the Super Bowl. Again, he doesn’t assign players there position that’s the coaching staff, a whole lot of finger pointing in the wrong direction in this post 

Searcy was a backup who Hurney brought in to start. While Reid was sitting at home. If you liked Reid, why sign Searcy? Or keep a 38yo in Mike Adams? Sure wasn’t the owner. Is Cockrell worth 3.6M this year. Those are the issues. Not the injuries. 

11 minutes ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

Gano wasn’t stupid at the time and Olsen, when healthy is still a top te in the game as we saw last Thursday, Poe also looks to be playing better in the 3-4 scheme we have, all these contracts aren’t back breakers or prevent us from getting any one we coveted. If they end up being bad contracts they won’t hamper the panthers going forward. If you’re looking for a list of good that hurney has done since being here I can surely rifle off a Landry list 

sidenote daryl is on a one year deal, and I don’t think we signed him to initial play Lt 

Go ahead, please name all the good signings, record, playoff record, win %, and actions that he has made to make people believe that he is actually better than his former self....it's what this entire thread is about, and nobody wants to do it.

Gano was stupid at the time, and it looks even worse now, that cannot be debated.

Daryl isn't good.  Please don't bring up All Pro, that is no different than winning coach of the year.

Olsens extension was stupid.  He had talked up retiring, was coming off an injury to a foot for a big man (really tough to come back from) and was already under contract the next season.  It was a money grab by him and Hurney took the bait.

On 9/13/2019 at 1:48 PM, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Hurney's biggest issue is Ron Rivera.

Right now it is, but before he screwed Fox over pretty good. Before, the things that Marty did that pissed me off were:

Paid our core veterans a ton of money on a team that was 2-14 and then 6-10.  He gave Williams a huge deal, Morgan a nice deal, Kalil was paid a ton, Stewart, CJohnson (when the only suitor was cap strapped Atlanta at the time--Marty's insecurity came shining through), Charles Godfrey--and the biggie--Jake Delhomme after Tommy John surgery when there was hardly a market for him. 

Then he got desperate and started the draft day trades (Everette Brown, Jeff Otah, Armanti Edwards come to mind.)  He also tried to trade up to get Jimmy Clausen. 

Now remember, I know Brandon Bean (from S. Stanly HS) but my friend taught him and knows him much better--he told me that Marty seemed to like saying that he drafted "the highest paid player in the league at their respective positions."  He also said that Marty was insecure about anyone wanting to come to Carolina so he felt that he had to create a friendly environment where players were compensated well.

Marty drafted Clausen, Lafell, Armanti Edwards, and Eric Norwood with the teams' first four picks that draft when Fox was a lame duck and they were not collaborating.   Yikes.

15 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Right now it is, but before he screwed Fox over pretty good. Before, the things that Marty did that pissed me off were:

Paid our core veterans a ton of money on a team that was 2-14 and then 6-10.  He gave Williams a huge deal, Morgan a nice deal, Kalil was paid a ton, Stewart, CJohnson (when the only suitor was cap strapped Atlanta at the time--Marty's insecurity came shining through), Charles Godfrey--and the biggie--Jake Delhomme after Tommy John surgery when there was hardly a market for him. 

Then he got desperate and started the draft day trades (Everette Brown, Jeff Otah, Armanti Edwards come to mind.)  He also tried to trade up to get Jimmy Clausen. 

Now remember, I know Brandon Bean (from S. Stanly HS) but my friend taught him and knows him much better--he told me that Marty seemed to like saying that he drafted "the highest paid player in the league at their respective positions."  He also said that Marty was insecure about anyone wanting to come to Carolina so he felt that he had to create a friendly environment where players were compensated well.

Marty drafted Clausen, Lafell, Armanti Edwards, and Eric Norwood with the teams' first four picks that draft when Fox was a lame duck and they were not collaborating.   Yikes.

Tepper must be aware of all this.  

If David T allows Hurney 2.0 to go down the same road (re-signing under performing players to over-inflated contracts) putting this team in CAP Hell, it will be his own fault.

Hurney 2.0 and Ron and company should be on a short leash from here on out.

No more long term player deals till this team consistently wins with what's on the roster.

18 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Just because you didn’t think Gano wasn’t a stupid move from the start doesn’t mean many others have been pointing it out for over two years. We have barely played any 3-4 and Poe is nowhere near worth 9.3M. Or the 13M next year. Olsen had his first good game in forever and is costing us 10M+ to play this year. Not worth that. 

Let’s see the Landry list you seem to have ready. Considering you excuse his bad decisions, I’m sure every move was “smart at the time”....lol

And just because you think that I was makes it stupid, tf. We have played 3/4 a good bit to start the season l, and Poe already had a sack,  and even if he does “suck” he can be cut next year with little cap hit if I’m correct. Olsen hadn’t been on the field in a while due to injury, and cam’s injury didn’t help his production either 

1 hour ago, Toomers said:

Sure. Tell us again how the 15M the Gano/Butker decision cost us is no big deal. Dispute anything brought up. 

Is it not fair to say Rivera made the choice on who to keep? Hurney even gave him an extension of time to make the decision. 

See Matt Kalil if you want to reference a handicapping contract.

18 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Searcy was a backup who Hurney brought in to start. While Reid was sitting at home. If you liked Reid, why sign Searcy? Or keep a 38yo in Mike Adams? Sure wasn’t the owner. Is Cockrell worth 3.6M this year. Those are the issues. Not the injuries. 

Everyone and there grandma knows why Reid didn’t get a call last off-season, do you even keep up with football ?? Hard to tell if cockrell is worth the money when his leg snapped in half l, this year ? Hard to tell when you switch his position also 

again bitching about a guy who got ir’d because of concussion and another one who snapped his leg and was asked to play fa during mid training camp 

do better

Just now, panther4life said:

Is it not fair to say Rivera made the choice on who to keep? Hurney even gave him an extension of time to make the decision. 

The Kalil contract was horrible, but it doesn't in any way excuse the lack of wins since Hurney 2.0 arrived on the scene.

4 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Then that would be part of the problem. He was drafted for a reason. Gano was a nightmare in 2016. But Hurney didn’t draft him so he didn’t put his foot down. 

See anything I’ve ever said about Matt Kalils contract since the day it was signed. You want to claim anyone who says anything bad about Hurney, only does it because they liked DG. I ranted on many of the moves DG made. Does that mean I hated DG and loved Hurney when I was doing it. 

It’s not about some emotional attachment to any certain GM. It’s about the moves themselves. 

Archived