• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney 2.0

thefuzz

I was having a quick chat about this in another thread, decided to throw it up here to see if I can be swayed.

It's been said around here over and over that Marty 2.0 seems to have learned his lessons, seems to be smarter, seems better prepared, etc....I'm just curious what those posters are seeing (and possibly even Tepper) that I'm not seeing?

Can some of you guys help me out?

What is the record of the team since he came back?

How many playoff games have we been to, and won?

How have we stacked up against the division?

What key players have been extended, and were the contracts good?

How has roster management been?

How have we drafted since his return?

Just need a little help appreciating Marty a bit more.

2 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

The moves at the time seemed reasonable hindsight is always 20/20. More on coaches and injured QB than him. If Cam were 100%, we would be 2-0 right now.

Which moves, in particular were right, as you say?

To add....If's don't win.  We knew Cam had a bad shoulder last season, we didn't have a single capable backup on the roster.  We knew that Cam had a bad shoulder this season and we decided to use our 1st round pick on a defensive player over a LT, and used a top 100 on a rookie out of a known QB bust school.

Continue.

Im not putting nothing on Hurney but the draft. He did the best he could do over the off season.

Coaching is staff is just incompetent.

Mccoy pointing out the fact that he only got 40% snaps week one due to all the rotating and never could get in a rhythm. 40% of the snaps for one of the best FA pickups. Smh

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I'm wondering if Ron and Dave worked so well because Dave wasn't afraid to hurt Ron's feelings and tell him "no" when he was being a dumbass. 

There is no doubt about it.  There is a reason we flail under Ron and Marty, neither are long term thinkers, they don't have a plan, and always think they are 1 bounce, or 1 player away from the playoffs.

Same as it ever was.

Okay, here's my Hurney 2.0 take:

He came back and has been good at getting both new blood and some established vets here. He has been better at contract negotiations than before. He has also managed to bring both Pep and Smitty back into the family, something that I think we all needed.

Cam was originally Hurney's pick and even now on Hurney's second career loop as the Panthers GM, the show goes through Cam and Ron. Considering the turnover in recent years between the overnight exit of Gettleman AND the Faustian fall of Richardson, there was no way there was going to be a change to either Ron or Cam, even as the records got worse and the injuries became an issue. The two are so intertwined... has Ron been responsible for a lot of Cam's success, has he been responsible for the lacking years? Has it been a "As Cam goes, so goes the Panthers" as many expect to be the case? 

The guy is stuck with the pair of them and he's going to hang with them or be hanged with them in the end. 

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Okay, here's my Hurney 2.0 take:

He came back and has been good at getting both new blood and some established vets here. He has been better at contract negotiations than before. He has also managed to bring both Pep and Smitty back into the family, something that I think we all needed.

Cam was originally Hurney's pick and even now on Hurney's second career loop as the Panthers GM, the show goes through Cam and Ron. Considering the turnover in recent years between the overnight exit of Gettleman AND the Faustian fall of Richardson, there was no way there was going to be a change to either Ron or Cam, even as the records got worse and the injuries became an issue. The two are so intertwined... has Ron been responsible for a lot of Cam's success, has he been responsible for the lacking years? Has it been a "As Cam goes, so goes the Panthers" as many expect to be the case? 

The guy is stuck with the pair of them and he's going to hang with them or be hanged with them in the end. 

Please expand, I'm trying to pull for the guy here and see what everyone else did.

New blood and established vets?

What contract negotiations specifically?

8 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Which moves, in particular were right, as you say?

To add....If's don't win.  We knew Cam had a bad shoulder last season, we didn't have a single capable backup on the roster.  We knew that Cam had a bad shoulder this season and we decided to use our 1st round pick on a defensive player over a LT, and used a top 100 on a rookie out of a known QB bust school.

Continue.

It’s sad you’re so emotionally heart broken they have to be spelled out. And I said seemed right at the time.

Irvin, McCoy, held out got Williams for cheap(is it his fault he got thrown to LT?), cut Torrey, Burns but man this is getting tiring just to appease a heart broken knee jerk fool. You continue to do what you do.

Archived