• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jarius Wright was open... A lot

Jeremy Igo

Heres a breakdown / analysis by Greg Gabriel:

The GM - Head Coach relationship

Excerpts:

There is always a risk/reward factor involved. With all that being said, it’s the GM’s job to not only get the coach the best players but also the best players that fit his scheme.

Regardless of who has control of the roster, coach and GM have to agree on these personnel decisions.

If the GM has final say, he may try to make the coach keep/draft/sign a certain player. If the coach is adamant that he doesn’t want him then this does not bode well for that player succeeding. Bottom line is that you can’t “force a player down the coach’s throat.” It doesn’t do anyone any good.

58 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

I understand the concept or traffic=dollars. That’s the case in any business. It’s not about one thread. It’s about keeping the fire going. Things were starting to die down and the reason why this board isn’t like the many others that typically have sporadic posts is because Igo knows how to consistently pump in content. Not all content is good content but all content is good content if you know what I mean. 

Keeping the fire going via one thread though? Most of these ads pay out per 1,000 views, and even then it will be relatively low (YouTube does $2 per CPM). This is also assuming that it is CPM and not PPC (cost per thousand vs pay per click, views vs. clicks).

This thread has just over 2,000 views. If every user had the same ad load and it was CPM, yes, that's $4. However,  a variety of different ads load every time a page is loaded (each individual page counts as a thread view). Now what are the chances that of all those ads, one of them loaded for at least half the users and none of those users had an ad blocker running?

Couple that with the fact that the Huddle is losing people to the Panthers subreddit, which is much friendlier and upbeat while also being moderated better (no shade to current mods, just stating a fact), and it loses traffic in general when the team is not successful... I mean, heck, put it all together and Ocram's razor points towards this being less of an agenda thread.

That's all before we even get into the resources required for hosting, keeping the domain, upgrades, time invested, etc.

As for content, I think we can all agree that he has taken a huge step back in producing content (for whatever reasons he has, I was just grateful to have something). At this point, I only have All Pro for the dark theme and that was recently taken away while troubleshooting another issue. There isn't any of the content that there was prior. Dude got his ass beat by life, I get it. I'm not gonna assume he's trying to weasel another $2 out of drunk football fans :)

52 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Did you actually notice any major adjustments by us in the second half? Feel free to talk about them if you did.

We actually had a lot of things bounce our way in the second half, not the least of which being that Goff didn't play particularly well. And Greg Zeuerlein uncharacteristically missed a field goal. Unfortunately, Todd Gurley did play well, and hurtus a lot.

We cut down on our own mistakes, but still had a few that were ill-timed (Newton throwing a gift interception, Bradberry not catching one in return, for example). It's actually kind of maddening just how many opportunities we had to win, but it was ultimately too little, too late.

Still, if you want to pursue a narrative where Ron Rivera is a genius at second-half adjustments, feel free to state your case. I'm sure it'll be entertaining.

The only claim that was made in either of our posts was your half-assed claim that Sean Payton is a strategic genius (vaguely referencing last night with no details) and Rivera is some kind of idiot who can’t hold his jock. And yet I’m the one with the narrative who has to go back and present evidence lol.

The irony of a thread created to expel the “Saints troll” while everyone in here constantly slurps Payton’s nuts and trashes our entire coaching staff, is incredible. 

1 hour ago, Icege said:

To clarify, you believe he created this topic strictly to stir up controversy and subsequent clicks that turn into ad revenue?

Are you aware of how that revenue is calculated and accumulated? It is miniscule, and when taking into consideration access to ad blockers (which are widespread and the result of the death of much, much larger forums than this one), that line of thinking comes across as paranoid at best, dillusional at worst. You've got a pretty good head on your shoulders from what I've seen, and I think that if you knew a little more detail about that you would be less inclined to believe it was a money making move.

Especially when there are many, many more ways to get much, much more money.

Obviously it couldn’t be simple football discussion right? Some people find it interesting and others find it devastating.

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I just don't accept that. Where there's the will, there's the way. There's a variety of different moves and scenarios we could have made to provide Cam an upgrade in protection during Gettleman's tenure. The GM is the one that ultimately sets the priorities, and LT was never a priority under Gettleman while he was here.

He signed Oher who played like a pro-bowler the year we went to the super bowl but he had to retire due to a horrible concussion the year after. That was an unfortunate circumstance but it certainly looked like we had found the solution at LT long term. 

People always seem to forget about that when they push the "Gettleman didn't care about the line" Narrative. We had 1 season of absolutely abysmal LT play in 2014 and people act like it was never addressed. We went out and got Oher in 2015, then 2016 Oher got injures so bad he had to retire so we had to swing Remmers to LT out of desperation because along with Oher, we lost 1st and 2nd string center, 1-3 string RG, and 1-4 string RT. Then we went out and got Kalil in 2017, and that was a horrible contract that I won't defend, but he was a marginal average talent at LT outside the beginning of the season. Then in 2018 he got hurt and we had to pick a dude up off the streets to play LT because our backup LT had to move back to RT because our starting RT got hurt for the year (Williams).

So be pissed for 2014 where we had to reset our cap situation to be able to sign Luke and Cam in 2015 and neglected to sign a long term solution, but injuries are the main contributing factor for poor tackle play post Jordan Gross and anyone who thinks otherwise is pushing a narrative. 

11 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

The only claim that was made in either of our posts was your half-assed claim that Sean Payton is a strategic genius (vaguely referencing last night with no details) and Rivera is some kind of idiot who can’t hold his jock. And yet I’m the one with the narrative who has to go back and present evidence lol.

The irony of a thread created to expel the “Saints troll” while everyone in here constantly slurps Payton’s nuts and trashes our entire coaching staff, is incredible. 

So...no.

Quick Tip: For whatever you want to think of him, Sean Payton is a hell of a good coach on gameday.

You can argue against that because he coaches for the Saints, but it won't make it any less true.

I just don't accept that. Where there's the will, there's the way. There's a variety of different moves and scenarios we could have made to provide Cam an upgrade in protection during Gettleman's tenure. The GM is the one that ultimately sets the priorities, and LT was never a priority under Gettleman while he was here.

2013 we went into the season $16M over the cap and it was made clear that talent was going to be brought in for the OL via the draft rather than free agency due to that situation. (src: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000126808/article/dave-gettleman-laughs-at-panthers-salarycap-woes). Our line consisted of Gross, Wharton, Kalil, Scott, and Bell. 

2014 we barely had just over $15M in cap space available, but had to figure out how to try and retain Greg Hardy (holy crap, somebody make sure Nails doesn't appear, I might have just summoned him on accident). We go draft Turner AND find Norwell as a UDFA (a huge step up from the prior year's two UDFA darlings, Bell & Chandler). Gross retires. We're left with Garry Williams to man the RT, but he breaks his ankle. OL is now Bell, Norwell, Kalil, Turner, Remmers when it could've been Gross, Norwell, Kalil, Turner, whoever.

2015, we had just under $15M in cap space going into the offseason, but then it was raised and we got some more money ("Dollar Store to Target"). This would be the year that we allegedly lost our OL. We went to the Super Bowl, partially thanks to some stability being brought to LT with Michael Oher. Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Remmers. We also draft Daryl Williams in the 3rd, setting us up for a future OL of Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Williams.

2016, everything was terrible. Oher injured. Just everything sucked. Nobody brought in to help outside of depth.

2017, we did a great thing and an awful thing. Great: Drafted Taylor Moton. Awful: Paid Matt Kalil.

The reality is that despite being crippled by the salary cap ($40M RBs BABY!!!), the team did invest in an OL. The primary source of that, the draft, has shown to be successful for the team.

We haven't even discussed the Cam Newton, Kawann Short, Luke Kuechly, and other extensions that had to be done under those constraints. LT was most definitely a priority when we risked bringing in Michael Oher, found success, and then took a risk on paying Matt Kalil which went in the complete opposite direction. Moton was drafted and got time at LT before Williams went down and he went to RT.

We can criticize some of those choices, but to make a blanket statement that the team did not try to provide Cam with protection then is just flat out wrong.

Pretty easy to only see things you're way when ya don't accept reality. 

Guys. our Qb hasn't played since Week 15 of the 2018 season, been rolling through controlled tempo at TC, and was injured in the ONLY pre-season action he got inside a handful of snaps. 

He will be fine, it was his first live action in half a year, and he wasn't the only veteran established QB that was off his game on Sunday. 

Hit the ''relax'' button. 

48 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

He signed Oher who played like a pro-bowler the year we went to the super bowl but he had to retire due to a horrible concussion the year after. That was an unfortunate circumstance but it certainly looked like we had found the solution at LT long term. 

People always seem to forget about that when they push the "Gettleman didn't care about the line" Narrative. We had 1 season of absolutely abysmal LT play in 2014 and people act like it was never addressed. We went out and got Oher in 2015, then 2016 Oher got injures so bad he had to retire so we had to swing Remmers to LT out of desperation because along with Oher, we lost 1st and 2nd string center, 1-3 string RG, and 1-4 string RT. Then we went out and got Kalil in 2017, and that was a horrible contract that I won't defend, but he was a marginal average talent at LT outside the beginning of the season. Then in 2018 he got hurt and we had to pick a dude up off the streets to play LT because our backup LT had to move back to RT because our starting RT got hurt for the year (Williams).

So be pissed for 2014 where we had to reset our cap situation to be able to sign Luke and Cam in 2015 and neglected to sign a long term solution, but injuries are the main contributing factor for poor tackle play post Jordan Gross and anyone who thinks otherwise is pushing a narrative. 

No, no, no, this cannot be right.

People have very selective memories when it comes to the guy who cut Steve Smith.

37 minutes ago, Icege said:

2013 we went into the season $16M over the cap and it was made clear that talent was going to be brought in for the OL via the draft rather than free agency due to that situation. (src: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000126808/article/dave-gettleman-laughs-at-panthers-salarycap-woes). Our line consisted of Gross, Wharton, Kalil, Scott, and Bell. 

2014 we barely had just over $15M in cap space available, but had to figure out how to try and retain Greg Hardy (holy crap, somebody make sure Nails doesn't appear, I might have just summoned him on accident). We go draft Turner AND find Norwell as a UDFA (a huge step up from the prior year's two UDFA darlings, Bell & Chandler). Gross retires. We're left with Garry Williams to man the RT, but he breaks his ankle. OL is now Bell, Norwell, Kalil, Turner, Remmers when it could've been Gross, Norwell, Kalil, Turner, whoever.

2015, we had just under $15M in cap space going into the offseason, but then it was raised and we got some more money ("Dollar Store to Target"). This would be the year that we allegedly lost our OL. We went to the Super Bowl, partially thanks to some stability being brought to LT with Michael Oher. Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Remmers. We also draft Daryl Williams in the 3rd, setting us up for a future OL of Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Williams.

2016, everything was terrible. Oher injured. Just everything sucked. Nobody brought in to help outside of depth.

2017, we did a great thing and an awful thing. Great: Drafted Taylor Moton. Awful: Paid Matt Kalil.

The reality is that despite being crippled by the salary cap ($40M RBs BABY!!!), the team did invest in an OL. The primary source of that, the draft, has shown to be successful for the team.

We haven't even discussed the Cam Newton, Kawann Short, Luke Kuechly, and other extensions that had to be done under those constraints. LT was most definitely a priority when we risked bringing in Michael Oher, found success, and then took a risk on paying Matt Kalil which went in the complete opposite direction. Moton was drafted and got time at LT before Williams went down and he went to RT.

We can criticize some of those choices, but to make a blanket statement that the team did not try to provide Cam with protection then is just flat out wrong.

I saw a fan the other day on twitter blame DG for our kicking issues.  Not Marty, not Gano, not Ron.....DG.

Like I said above, people have real selective memories around this place.

7 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I saw a fan the other day on twitter blame DG for our kicking issues.  Not Marty, not Gano, not Ron.....DG.

Like I said above, people have real selective memories around this place.

Look at politics, religion, and anything else people ignite one another over.

What matters to them is what they believe, not what they know. :(

Archived