• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top 3 issues to fix on this team.

Jeremy Igo

1. Get some offensive momentum. I noticed I was watching our offensive drives the way I used to watch the later Delhomme seasons; each pass I hold my breath. And it's a huge relief when we scrape for a first down on third and long. Then repeat. I want to see the offense put together a good confidence builder type drive early in the game where we're converting on first or second down.

2. Spell CMC. I know it's hard to take the ball out of the hands of the most dynamic player in the league. But for his longevity this season and beyond, and to give opposing defenses another dimension to look out for, I want to see some of our great backup RBs get some carries.

3. Sacks. Who would have thought after all the hype, and the preseason that it would be the secondary that was responsible for all of our big plays on defense?

Bonus: We can't control it, but I'd like to see us get a little luckier. Some days the ball just doesn't bounce your way, and a couple of oddities and one-offs really shaped the outcome of the game. If that tipped "backwards pass" has been just slightly more obviously going forward before it got tipped, or the fumbles that just seemed to take an L.A. bounce time and time again, I feel like the pendulum swing of lady luck has got to swing back in our direction.

1. Stopping 3 & out. Gotta give our defense a rest. If we keep putting them out there after a short break, they'll start to wear down, thus giving up points.

2. Cam getting his mojo back. When he plays well, everyone plays well. 

3. Rivera stopping the conservative bullcrap. He needs to play with fire and a killer mentality. 

1. Spread the offense out. Spread the ball around to more people. I and defenses should have no idea who's getting the ball. ( This is what is going to make me start chanting Fire Norv cause it will hurt us this season )

2. Speed the tempo up (same ol bullshit we ask over and over, Ron just doesn't get it)

3. I need to see the front seven sack the QB (at a loss of words for this one)

1. 3rd down defense. Early on it seemed like the Rams were converting 3rd downs at will. Offset of this is, like others mention, the cushions we allow on the receivers, the middle of the field was constantly open, pressure on the QB (we need to get home)

2. 3rd down offense. On the flip side, we couldn't buy a 3rd down conversion. Gotta execute

3. Offensive playcalling. Specifically, I want to see us be more aggressive earlier in the game. Ideally, a deep ball early. Mix up the playcalling. Offset of this is calling more designed runs for Cam. If he's truly ready to go, unleash him. Let him run to get him in the groove of things, then call for some long bombs down the field.

If you look back to our SB run, Cam thrived with those mid-level seam throws to Olsen and Ginn past the LBs but ahead of the safeties.  He had a nice pass like that yesterday but they really don't seem part of the playbook much anymore.  If we're giving him all these out routes to WRs, it's going to be a similar result.  I think Turner really needs to reassess the playcalling.  

In addition, when we do have strong protection, you can see Cam is almost surprised he doesn't have to run for his life.  Every drop back he's expecting to dodge and duck.  If the OL gets more consistent he should be able to wipe that from his mojo.   

So my three:

(1) Norv needs to open things up, diversify, and spread the offense around.  More of an EP style with slants and seam routes. 

(2) OL consistency.  I think Larsen should be at LG.  Paradis isn't that impressive and Moton/Williams need to swap.  It's clear as day IMO and I'm surprised the way we have the line sorted.

(3) Discipline all around.  Play clock, coaching, no huddle, making quick decisions.  This is on everyone, Rivera, Cam, Blackburn, etc.  We need to be decisive and ruthless not confident slow-trotters. 

Just our game management in general with time, a hurry up offensive, getting to the line quicker, substitutions when players are tired. We do it with the defensive line randomly because it seems like were written in stone about players in packages (Jermaine Carter) (Gaulden) where teams can expose them.

2. Why can't we ever spell a HB efficiently? I would love to see Scarlett and Holyfield get to pound Tampa Thursday, CMC will still get the ball plenty with how we use him and how versatile he is. There is no doubt in my mind CMC could play every snap all season but just for the sake of keeping him fresh and healthy, when you're pushing a drive downfield after 6 minutes and have a 2nd and 4 throw Scarlett in or Holy. I know some of you will say Holyfield won't be active much or at all but I believe he can help the team. We have guys active who sees 3 snaps the whole game.

3. Adjusting on defense. Gurley was kept in check most of the game but had some important first downs because they would just stretch the ball to the edge where he's one on one with a CB or safety or Carter Jr, PS our edge rushers forever run past the QB. I believe they will attack Winston this Thursday but watching Goff not be phased and step up kills me.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

#1 IMO is figuring out how to complete passes 10+ yards down the field. We saw Cam throw numerous bombs in training camp. It's time to unleash them on game day.

You just answered your own question. But once again the reason we don’t throw deep is because we can’t hold blocks long enough. It’s not Cam. Like you said he did it all off season. 

Archived