• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney freeing up cap space. Extension coming?

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think we have a shot at a player who can upgrade a weakness.  If they are considering putting Little on IR,  Trent makes sense.  If Boston has not worked out, maybe there is a trade ahead.  Maybe they can get Norwell back. 

I thought about Norwell but there’s just no way we’d tie up that much money at guard, especially after paying biggish for C and having Morton coming up soon. Pay stud tackles, backfill on the interior.

13 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Maybe, but Hurney obviously has plans for the money, and I’ll wait and see what it is being used for before I freak out. Out of all the restructures only Short worries me some, but he had an off year (wasn’t nearly as bad as the Huddle gms make it out to be) and the coaches obviously are happy with him, and continue to see growth in his leadership and performance. I don’t believe banking on having him be our starter for the next three years is such a huge risk. The cap continues to increase year over year and we don’t have a lot of players with huge contacts to cripple our cap in the future. KK can be part of the core of the team the next three seasons along with Luke and Trai and I don’t have a big issue with that.

Hurney had plans for the money every time he did this during his first run too.

That's part of the problem.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think we have a shot at a player who can upgrade a weakness.  If they are considering putting Little on IR,  Trent makes sense.  If Boston has not worked out, maybe there is a trade ahead.  Maybe they can get Norwell back. 

If only we could get Norwell back...

2 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

This could be why - Major contracts we will need to look into addressing after this season: 

J. Bradberry (FA)

S. Thompson (FA)

T. Moton (1 year remaining)

C. Samuel (1 year remaining) 

C. Mccaffrey (1 year remaining) 

C. Newton (1 year remaining) 

CMC, has this season, next season, and the 5th year.  He has 3 more seasons before we would have to tag him.

Newton has 2.

Moton has 2.

Samuel has 2.

You have to count this season and the following.  It's a violent game.

1 hour ago, RenoCarolina said:

Hypothetically say it is for Cam.  Already threads/articles about how he is underpaid by appx $10M/year.  If you are going to redo his contract wouldn't it make sense to spread it into as many years as possible?  Including this one?

Then you are just putting someone else’s money to those years. It’s all the same money. Why move it and make it harder to cut 2 people in the future who have regressed?

This is probably a way to free up salary cap space now that will then be carried forward to next season.Unused space can be carried forward dollar for dollar. This spreads the additional space next year over the remaining years of the players' restructured contract. It may mean that they anticipate a need for greater space next season. It may be a sign that they foresee a contract extension in the offing for Cam next season.

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

CMC, has this season, next season, and the 5th year.  He has 3 more seasons before we would have to tag him.

Newton has 2.

Moton has 2.

Samuel has 2.

You have to count this season and the following.  It's a violent game.

That’s why I put contracts we need to look into addressing after this season. Also you have to factor in the CMC and Cam May want new contract no matter what after this year, they are both underpaid.

25 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

"Hurney freeing up cap space" is about as scary a thread title that I could see this morning.

The only signings that would make sense (outside of bringing in new blood) is Shaq or Bradberry.  I could see trying to sign Moton long term at a good price if he's able to be extended yet.

Other than that, I'm good.

Restructures bug you the same way they do me.

Just now, WarPanthers89 said:

That’s why contracts we need to look into addressing after this season.

That's not smart on the GM's part then.  Why free it up now by moving it forward making it harder to free up next season.

If this move isn't about this season, or an extension right now, it's a bad move.  And likely is a bad move either way.

Archived