• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney freeing up cap space. Extension coming?

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Not going to kill us? $36.5M for 2 years of 2018 Short is an awful lot of money. 

I agree but many of our star players had an off year with the defensive play calling and we don’t know his assignments every game played, the coaches do. They obviously believe he will continue to play at a high level this year and next. I’ll wait until we see the details until I freak out. Also just because he restructured, it does not mean he won’t be able to be cut after next year with one year left if he does not perform. We know Luke and Trai will be with us no matter what through the end of the current contract they have now so it’s. It a world breaker.

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

I agree but many of our star players had an off year with the defensive play calling and we don’t know his assignments every game played, the coaches do. They obviously believe he will continue to play at a high level this year and next. I’ll wait until we see the details until I freak out. Also just because he restructured, it does not mean he won’t be able to be cut after next year with one year left if he does not perform. We know Luke and Trai will be with us no matter what through the end of the current contract they have now so it’s. It a world breaker.

Do not underestimate how losing Star and getting Poe impacted him.  Star was very unheralded  for all he did to free up Luke and KK.

I can't imagine we're actually going after Trent Williams. We'd basically be announcing we've already given up on Greg Little after trading up for him. That being said, not sure what the goal is. It gives us flexibility at least but that's a lot of money to free up without a specific goal in mind. Bradberry extension makes the most sense but how much would they be offering him that would require that much cap space? I feel like a Turner restructure would get the job done alone and save us from being stuck with Short's massive contract as he declines.

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Bradberry makes sense--Thompson does not.  We really have not seen him in the 3-4 much.  Why now?  Personally, I think he is a bit smallish to handle the pounding.

I would point out that we have also not seen KK in a 3-4. Perhaps we should have waited on extending him. 

2 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

Restructures kick money down the road.

Can you still cut him? Sure you can, but you basically just engineered it so that if you do, the dead money hit to your cap space will be worse than it would have been otherwise. Perhaps significantly worse.

34 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Difference is the QB position costsa Whole heckuva a lot more than a LB.

2 things though, Luke's issue is concussions.

Concussions force guys to retire.   So if another bad one happened it would probably just force him to retire and not do anything to the cap.

Secondly QBs $$$ is so much more.  So would feel it

We know the financial and positional differences.

The issue is there's no one in this fanbase practically giddy at speculating about another concussion the day before our home opener in a crucial season that could be one of the last few with this core remaining intact.

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

I would point out that we have also not seen KK in a 3-4. Perhaps we should have waited on extending him. 

We definitely need to draft a DT or two early this next draft.  We are sitting on Poe, McCoy (we could extend him), Short, Love---sounds like Shady Acres.

"Hurney freeing up cap space" is about as scary a thread title that I could see this morning.

The only signings that would make sense (outside of bringing in new blood) is Shaq or Bradberry.  I could see trying to sign Moton long term at a good price if he's able to be extended yet.

Other than that, I'm good.

1 minute ago, Peon Awesome said:

I can't imagine we're actually going after Trent Williams. We'd basically be announcing we've already given up on Greg Little after trading up for him. 

That only makes sense if you're in "desperately need to win now to save my ass" mode.

(which, realistically, is very possible)

1 hour ago, WarPanthers89 said:

What do you think the reason is? Bradberry Or Shaq? 

Having to free up cap space for Bradberry would make sense but not Shaq. An extension for Shaq would almost certainly save us cap space this year since he's costing us nearly $10 million as is unless they opt for a very unconventional contract structure or offer him some outrageously insane overpay

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Restructures kick money down the road.

Can you still cut him? Sure you can, but you basically just engineered it so that if you do, the dead money hit to your cap space will be worse than it would have been otherwise. Perhaps significantly worse.

Maybe, but Hurney obviously has plans for the money, and I’ll wait and see what it is being used for before I freak out. Out of all the restructures only Short worries me some, but he had an off year (wasn’t nearly as bad as the Huddle gms make it out to be) and the coaches obviously are happy with him, and continue to see growth in his leadership and performance. I don’t believe banking on having him be our starter for the next three years is such a huge risk. The cap continues to increase year over year and we don’t have a lot of players with huge contacts to cripple our cap in the future. KK can be part of the core of the team the next three seasons along with Luke and Trai and I don’t have a big issue with that.

Archived