• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I've tallied the numbers. Official prediction is in. Details within...

Jeremy Igo

On Offense

For my money, the success of the Carolina Panthers offense against the LA Rams defense boils down to one very simple question: Can Cam Newton get rid of the ball quickly? So much has been made of Cam Newton once again being able to throw the deep ball, which is indeed important. But against Aaron Donald and the Rams I am more interested in Newton throwing quickly and remaining upright.

Luckily, the Panthers now have the talent on offense to allow this to happen. Christian McCaffrey, Curtis Samuel, and DJ Moore make up one of the most talented offensive young trios in the entire league. McCaffrey and Samuel in particular have the ability to quickly gain separation from their defenders. This will be much needed on Sunday against the LA Rams solid defensive front.

On Defense

We have arrived at the portion of the prediction that I am most excited about. The Carolina Panthers defense has been revamped and has little in common with its previous version.

The Panthers now have the ability to consistently pressure opposing quarterbacks. This is particularly bad news for the Rams as Goff has a tendency to crumble in such situations. I suspect at least a four sack game is on the Carolina horizon.

Bonus Prediction: The Patriots were able to stifle the Rams offense in the Superbowl by not showing their actual defense until after the quarterback’s earphones were turned off. At that point, the Patriots would realign, giving Goff a new look without McVay’s tutelage. The result was Goff looking worse than he had all season. I suspect the Carolina Panthers will employ the same strategy on Sunday.

Conclusion

Unfortunately for the LA Rams, the Superbowl hangover is very real. Look no further than the Carolina Panthers themselves to validate its existence. The 2016 season was one of the more frustrating of the entire franchise. I am now a believer in the curse.

Many are predicting a close game here, but I don’t see it that way. I see a statement coming from the Carolina Panthers lead by a new defense with no actual film to be studied. The LA Rams are in for a long day in Carolina.

Carolina Panthers – 32

LA Rams – 13

giphy.gif?cid=790b761107f49944d131bc4c38

I foresee a lot of Greg Olsen action. Chipping at the line inside and being a 2nd outlet for Cam with McCaffrey. Their LB crew isn't that talented and Greg will take advantage of that.

Slow 1st quarter then Norv unleashes the full game plan. If our defense stops the run, we win this handedly. Rams' new center won't be able to handle KK or Poe or Love and our pass rush will be on fire.

3 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

The flaw in your plan is assuming Ron can recognize and implement a Belicheckian strategy. I would be SHOCKED if defensive calls come in after the mic is turned off. 

There won't be a need for late defensive calls. Because we have Kuechly and Reid. Get ready to sit there in shock all game lol.

I think offensively both teams get off to a slow start this game. I don't think we end up scoring more than 10 than them and I don't think either team will get much over 20 points, but I do think we come out with a win. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't take the lead until the 4th quarter and we win with Slye's leg.

Archived