• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Welcome to Ron and Marty's final chance

Jeremy Igo

10 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

If it's building towards making the Panthers a perennially competitive franchise, yes I will be excited.

As much a sure thing as having new coaches and GM every few years.

Tepper may find goose egg after goose egg for GM. 

Everyone is so anxious to fire Rivera. He's not a perfect coach but very few are. 

Before Tepper pulls the plug on Rivera and Hurney I hope he has good options available or we'll end up like Jacksonville.  One winning season every 10 years. 

7 minutes ago, TheRed said:

The Steelers are currently paying 37 year old Ben Roethlisberger 34 million dollars a year on his contract.

The Steelers took quite a while to finally give him a big contract, even though he had two Super Bowl appearances and one victory under his belt at the time.

They won another shortly after his first big deal, but haven't even appeared in one since.

As has been pointed out on here more than once, the highest paid quarterbacks in the league aren't exactly the guys winning all the Super Bowls.

19 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Everyone is so anxious to fire Rivera. He's not a perfect coach but very few are. 

Before Tepper pulls the plug on Rivera and Hurney I hope he has good options available or we'll end up like Jacksonville.  One winning season every 10 years. 

I get why people use it, but for me there are few arguments I find less convincing than the "well, we could do worse" argument. A lot of John Fox supporters used that tactic as well. It's especially weak because the flip side that "we could do better" is equally true.

Heck, that argument could have been used to hang on to Matt Kalil.

The question you have to ask is whether or not you're good enough to win a Super Bowl with your current guy. If the answer is no, then it doesn't matter how good his record is or how much players like him. It's time to move on.

Basically, are you okay with being good, or do you want to be great?

1 hour ago, t96 said:

The fact that Ron was better with DG than Hurney May speak to Hurney dragging down Ron not the other way around...

Who constructed the vast majority of the base 15 team?  Who was the owner that boat-anchored the team from 2008 to 2017?

Hurney was never the problem.

Mr. Tepper...tear down this statue!!!!!

ronald reagan GIF

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ron being fired doesn't automatically mean Newton is gone.

Ron not being fired doesn't automatically guarantee that Newton gets a new contract either. There's a lot of factors still up in the air on that one.

I know we all hope for the best possible ending. I do too, but I also know that the NFL has a tendency to chew up happy endings and spit them out.

Just ask Ryan Kalil.

Once again, I was responding to someone who said if Rivera is fired, Cam is gone. 

You’re not saying anything groundbreaking. If cams arm is done, he’s finished with the panthers and probably football. If Cam is healthy, we will pay him. 

6 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Once again, I was responding to someone who said if Rivera is fired, Cam is gone. 

You’re not saying anything groundbreaking. If cams arm is done, he’s finished with the panthers and probably football. If Cam is healthy, we will pay him. 

That last sentence is the one I think isn't guaranteed, especially not when guys like Jared Goff (seriously, Jared Goff) are getting ridiculous money.

We might, and I'd even call it likely that we will, but I'm not ready to buy that we just write a blank check.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get why people use it, but for me there are few arguments I find less convincing than the "well, we could do worse" argument. A lot of John Fox supporters used that tactic as well. It's especially weak because the flip side that "we could do better" is equally true.

Heck, that argument could have been used to hang on to Matt Kalil.

The question you have to ask is whether or not you're good enough to win a Super Bowl with your current guy. If the answer is no, then it doesn't matter how good his record is or how much players like him. It's time to move on.

Basically, are you okay with being good, or do you want to be great?

Point made.

Mike Tomlin has been the coach of Pittsburgh for 16 seasons with 8 playoff appearances with 2 Super Bowl visits and one title. Rivera has 4 playoff appearances in 8 years with 1 Super Bowl visit.

While I am not saying Rivera is better than Tomlin or even equal.  I am saying the Steelers were patient through good times and bad. 

Rivera has his faults as do all coaches. I personally believe he has the makeup to win it all.

Some agree most don't. 

Be careful of what we ask for. 

As a true fan if Tepper does pull the plug I won't be the guy that rants. I TOLD YOU SO. I'll support him and hope he made the right decision. 

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

We have only had 3 winning seasons in the last 10, nothing to brag about.

Tepper is a decisive person....but he's also fair and thoughtful.

I thought Rowboat Ron would be given this season to prove himself, but to be frank, I was very surprised to see Hurndog survive to the beginning of training camp this year. 

As such, I have to believe Tepper has better information than me/us, hence the reprieve for Hurndog. 

Few people have a fundamental understanding of how Tepper amassed his $11 BILLION fortune --- simple fact, his information was better than that of others, AND, he had the intellect needed to capitalize on said information....

....deadly combination and should bode well for the win-loss % for what has been an incredibly inept franchise heretofore.

Good times a comin!

9 minutes ago, SBiii said:

We have only had 3 winning seasons in the last 10, nothing to brag about.

Tepper is a decisive person....but he's also fair and thoughtful.

I thought Rowboat Ron would be given this season to prove himself, but to be frank, I was very surprised to see Hurndog survive to the beginning of training camp this year. 

As such, I have to believe Tepper has better information than me/us, hence the reprieve for Hurndog. 

Few people have a fundamental understanding of how Tepper amassed his $11 BILLION fortune --- simple fact, his information was better than that of others, AND, he had the intellect needed to capitalize on said information....

....deadly combination and should bode well for the win-loss % for what has been an incredibly inept franchise heretofore.

Good times a comin!

Let me ask you this question. 

Would we have had a winning record last year if Cam hadn't have wrecked his shoulder? The answer would have been YES.  Making 2018 our first back to back winning seasons.  You could say he should have pulled Cam and started someone else but we all know Cam. 

Injuries play a major role in how the team does. 

Blaming the coach isn't always the right answer.

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Let me ask you this question. 

Would we have had a winning record last year if Cam hadn't have wrecked his shoulder? The answer would have been YES.  Making 2018 our first back to back winning seasons.  You could say he should have pulled Cam and started someone else but we all know Cam. 

Injuries play a major role in how the team does. 

Blaming the coach isn't always the right answer.

Maybe, maybe not....

To quote the inimitable Bill Parcells, you are what your record says you are.

Archived