• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Welcome to Ron and Marty's final chance

Jeremy Igo

21 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Several have said this, and it's absolutely true. 

If Rivera gets canned,  Cam's Panther career is over. 

I personally can't see this team having a losing season this year. 

Why do people keep saying this. Tons of QBs have changed head coaches and stayed on the same team. Rivers and Rodgers being two of many. For Christ sake Andrew Luck’s arm was shot during a head coach/GM change and you didn’t see them kicking him out the door.

Now if his arm is shot that’s a different story with his impending new contract but if he’s healthy no GM/head coach is going to toss aside a qb like Cam. All of these guys know good QBs do not grow on trees. 

5 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Why do people keep saying this. Tons of QBs have changed head coaches and stayed on the same team. Rivers and Rodgers being two of many. For Christ sake Andrew Luck’s arm was shot during a head coach/GM change and you didn’t see them kicking him out the door.

Now if his arm is shot that’s a different story with his impending new contract but if he’s healthy no GM/head coach is going to toss aside a qb like Cam. All of these guys know good QBs do not grow on trees. 

People are dumb.

38 minutes ago, t96 said:

GM and HC are both responsible for getting a team to the playoffs and ultimately winning it all. The GM builds the roster and the HC works with that to win on game day with gameplans, how to utilize players, etc. Obviously there is a ton that goes into that but if we miss the playoffs this year that is two straight years that Hurney’s roster has contributed to not making the playoffs.

There are certainly a lot of factors that go into it and varying degrees of responsibility by the coach and GM which need to be evaluated but if you miss the playoffs two straight years it’s definitely not all on the coach, especially one who had a fair amount of success with a different GM...

I would agree to a point but this is the cowboys/ rams situation all over again or at least very similar. Rams sucked with good talent until they got rid of fisher, and cowboys have underachieved greatly even with the stacked roster they have.  It would be vice versa if the coach performed well even with a low talent level around him(Pete Carroll), gotta evaluate them separately , cause hurneys not on the field making critical mistakes ect that lead to a poor win/loss total 

1 hour ago, Cpt slay a ho said:

I would agree to a point but this is the cowboys/ rams situation all over again or at least very similar. Rams sucked with good talent until they got rid of fisher, and cowboys have underachieved greatly even with the stacked roster they have.  It would be vice versa if the coach performed well even with a low talent level around him(Pete Carroll), gotta evaluate them separately , cause hurneys not on the field making critical mistakes ect that lead to a poor win/loss total 

The fact that Ron was better with DG than Hurney May speak to Hurney dragging down Ron not the other way around...

18 minutes ago, t96 said:

The fact that Ron was better with DG than Hurney May speak to Hurney dragging down Ron not the other way around...

That doesn’t prove much, 2015 was his golden goose, but other than that we been consistently mediocre. Same issues exist regardless gm, gm can only provide the ingredients the coach has the prepare the meal. Which leads to my point, draft and free agency I can’t see where hurney hasn’t provided Rivera with the best products given the cap and draft capital 

2 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

I'm sitting here confused as heck. Why on earth would you cut/trade your franchise QB because you fire your coach and/or GM. Teams change the FO without changing their QB all the time. And when you have a franchise QB, you'd better hold on to that dude as long as he can produce. It's the toughest position to fill, and the most important to the team's success. If Cam is injured again, then maybe you look at moving on. If not, then a change in coaching could actually revive his career. Particularly an offensive minded, play calling guru - ever hear of a QB named Drew Brees? 

2 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

I'd say it has a lot to do with dollar signs.

Jared Goff just signed a four-year, 134 million dollar extension.

Jared Goff.

Quarterback contracts are going insane.

I know some folks believe that Tepper will just sign a blank check and back up a Brinks truck for Newton as long as he's healthy. Maybe he will, but the reality is that's not guaranteed. And if we do indeed have a new head coach and GM as well, yeah that's a factor.

Is it logical? Is it likely? That's all just opinion at this point. We know the Steelers were never very fond of the phrase "highest paid player at their position". How does Tepper feel about it? We don't know yet.

Until we know more, anything is possible.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd say it has a lot to do with dollar signs.

Jared Goff just signed a four-year, 134 million dollar extension.

Jared Goff.

Quarterback contracts are going insane.

I know some folks believe that Tepper will just sign a blank check and back up a Brinks truck for Newton as long as he's healthy. And maybe he will, but the reality is that's not guaranteed. And if we do indeed have a new head coach and GM as well, yeah that's a factor.

The Steelers were never very friendly with the phrase "highest paid player at their position". How does Tepper feel about it? We don't know yet.

Until we know more, anything is possible.

I was responding to a poster who said if Rivera is gone, Cam is gone. That is a stupid comment with no facts to back that up. 

You can say anything is possible but it is incredibly unrealistic to think that way. 

21 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I was responding to a poster who said if Rivera is gone, Cam is gone. That is a stupid comment with no facts to back that up. 

You can say anything is possible but it is incredibly unrealistic to think that way. 

Ron being fired doesn't automatically mean Newton is gone.

Ron not being fired doesn't automatically guarantee that Newton gets a new contract either. There's a lot of factors still up in the air on that one.

I know we all hope for the best possible ending. I do too, but I also know that the NFL has a tendency to chew up happy endings and spit them out.

Just ask Ryan Kalil.

Archived