• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Welcome to Ron and Marty's final chance

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

In the same vein, though, if the team has a winning regular season, does well in the division and makes a deep run into the playoffs, will the fan base give Hurney and Rivera some credit?

It's only fair.

And as someone pointed out, if this season collapses, this team will undergo a huge rebuild from bottom to top -- you won't just see Rivera, Hurney and Cam headed for the exits, but all the assistant coaches, trainers, scouts and even day to day office folks. Heck, you might even see a half-hearted push for stadium upgrades with a followup offer from south of Charlotte to build a facility that's more up to date. 

If that happens, you'll see folks like Luke and Christian doomed to play for a rebuilding franchise, young stars like DJ and Samuel left to wither on the vine as we fumble and stumble through a few years of trying to rebuild a club. 

Yeah, I'm really not looking forward to that.

I'm pulling for Marty, Ron and Cam.

I'm praying for the best but expecting the worst. Because if the Panthers miss the playoffs this season, it more than likely means Cam's career is close to if not completely done, at least with the Panthers. And of course that means Ron and Hurney are gone too.

Either Cam is healthy and takes this team to the playoffs or it's probably time to move on, from everybody. Meandering through future seasons hoping that Cam is healthy is going to lose a lot of games and fans.

That said, I hope Cam plays all 16 games, the team makes the playoffs, and all this doom and gloom talk is shelved until next season. But given Cam couldn't make it 8 plays without getting injured against the Patriots, I'm admittedly pretty nervous.

6 minutes ago, Cary Kollins said:

Cam isn't going to be fired.

I don't think he'll be fired but I could see him being moved for draft capital. If we crap the bed, I'm pretty sure it will have something to do with Cam either getting hurt or playing poorly. I can see us at that point cleaning house, bringing in a new GM, assessing everything, and using Cam as a bargaining chip in a trade to try and net us as many draft picks as we could steal. This would go a long way into moving up in the draft to target a new rookie QB and building around said rookie with FA's while not having to worry about paying him franchise QB money. 

This is all worst case scenario and I don't want it to happen in the slightest. I want us to go out and dominate week in and week out. But I think that if we do end up missing the playoffs, then Marty/Ron won't be the only guys on the outs. 

I think Ron and Marty f’d up the qb position. Everyone who follows sports knows if Cam goes down the season is over. So why did they decide to go with two young backups who are still in the developmental stage? Why not get at least a serviceable vet? This alone could be what gets them fired.

4 minutes ago, TN05 said:

71-56-1 with a Super Bowl appearance and two coach of the year awards isn’t average

3/8 winning seasons

Winning % is 55.4, not good, not bad, medicore. Worse than Jason Garret. 5% better than Fox who for his last three years trotted out an old and injured Delhomme, the Ghost of Vinny Testaverde, and Jimmy Clausen.

His defense average rank for points allowed over 8 years is 13.5. His offense is 12.75. Slightly better than average.

Plays cautiously with small leads all the time.

Cannot fix the issue with getting play calls in on time.

Has negative point differential the last three years.

Statistically worse in just about every way than Mike McCarthy who had Packers fans elated when he was fired.

1 minute ago, Cary Kollins said:

If it's building towards making the Panthers a perennially competitive franchise, yes I will be excited.

I'd take a two to three year rebuilding process now over another three years of  half-ass mediocrity and then a two to three year rebuilding process anyway.

I just think Hurney has done an infinitely better job this go around. We have talent, well used salary cap, finding production replacements etc.

we still have a lot of depth issues,.. 

now that can be attributed to coaching— or lack thereof getting “the next man up” mentality going.

only Hurneys most recent draft class is still reserved judgement,.. Little, Grier and even Miller being a big question mark. 

So I would think that unless Tepper has a sure fire replacement in mind that is clearly better than he might stay.

Rivera and the cold starts, slow practice, lack of urgency in games, failure to coach up backups, failure to adapt, are all reasons he would be gone.

Archived