• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Welcome to Ron and Marty's final chance

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

No need to get all philosophical. You said you couldn’t think of any and I gave you my list of the things I and many others on the board think he did wrong. I think we know that GMs aren’t perfect, but I wasn’t going to not give you my list when you stated he basically was. Overall, I’m happy with him, but he’s done some things Many of us disagreed with and may have been as bad as some awful decisions that Gettleman made. We bash Gettleman for Matt Kalil, rightfully so, but many seem to ignore that we spent $25M on him and that we spent $26M and might spend $36M on Poe, Smith and Searcy with about the same impact. Poe sucked last year and we got next to nothing from the other two.

I am a little more worried about the 2019 draft. Burns was the guy I wanted (over Sweat) pre-draft, but I didn’t like Little at all. Marty hit on Donte last year, who I wasn’t really aware of, but missed on Gaulden and I liked Reid and Harrison especially as far as they dropped. I was good with DJ and liked Thomas. I’m on record in the pre-draft threads if you feel the need to check my BS level. The 2018 draft was fantastic and could have been epic, but I’m not seeing that flash from this year. It’s all on Little because we passed over some solid OL talent.

I’d say so far he’s 1 of 2 in FA and 1.5 of 2 in drafts that could be a 1 of 2 or a 2 of 2.

Again, I’m happy with what he’s done and if we can win this year then I wouldn’t be calling for his head.

Again... hindsight it 20/20.  Poe was NOT a bad decision.  That was a widely praised decision when we first signed him.  Just because it hasn't panned out doesn't mean it was a BAD decision.  Tons of people agreed Gaulden was a great decision too.  He hasn't panned out.  That doesn't mean drafting him was a bad idea.  He just hasn't gotten it done.  As far as raw talent is concerned, Gaulden was an excellent player in college and worthy of the pick.  

Greg Little was one of the best pass blockers in college FB and played the best of the best at edge throughout his college career.  Moving up to grab him was a smart move at a position of monumental need.  Whether it pays off or not is a whole different story.

Again - smart, calculated decisions.  Just because they don't work out doesn't mean they were BAD decisions.

11 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

They only stop giving a sh*t when they turn out to be wrong.  A bunch of you like to backtrack on your BS instead of eating crow.

I don't give a rat's ass who likes or doesn't like whatever.

I care about winning.

And "hindsight is 20-20"? Please.

When the Raiders drafted JaMarcus Russell, there were both fans and analysts who applauded the choice. That fact doesn't make it any less of a sh-tty draft pick.

When the Bucs signed Alvin Harper in free agency, loads of people thought it was brilliant. Nothing about those initial reactions changes that it was a total disaster.

You say "hindsight is 20/20" as if that nullifies the impact of bad decisions. It doesn't.  If a decision turns out to be bad, nobody cares if it "seemed like a good idea at the time". 

Trying to excuse bad decisions by the fact that people thought they were good decisions at the time is one of the silliest arguments I've ever seen.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't give a rat's ass who likes or doesn't like whatever.

I care about winning.

And "hindsight is 20-20"? Please.

When the Raiders drafted JaMarcus Russell, there were both fans and analysts who applauded the choice. That fact doesn't make it any less of a sh-tty draft pick.

When the Bucs signed Alvin Harper in free agency, loads of people thought it was brilliant. Nothing about those initial reactions changes that it was a total disaster.

You say "hindsight is 20/20" as if that nullifies the impact of bad decisions. It doesn't.  If a decision turns out to be bad, nobody cares if it "seemed like a good idea at the time". 

Trying to excuse bad decisions by the fact that people thought they were good decisions at the time is one of the silliest arguments I've ever seen.

Ok.  You walk out into traffic and get hit by a car.  You don't get hurt too badly, and get a cool $250k settlement.

Was walking out in front of traffic a good decision?  No.  Your argument is utterly moronic.

Decisions are either good or bad.  Outcomes very frequently cannot be controlled.

*edit* Someone clearly pissed in your cornflakes since you're going off the rails about it. My response is only escalated because yours is.  If you decide to cool down on the profanities we can probably be more civil about things.   

Just now, DeAngelo Beason said:

Ok.  You walk out into traffic and get hit by a car.  You don't get hurt too badly, and get a cool $250k settlement.

Was walking out in front of traffic a good decision?  No.  Your argument is utterly moronic.

Decisions are either good or bad.  Outcomes very frequently cannot be controlled.

Here's a suggestion: Go screw up something major on your job that costs your employer a huge amount of money. Then when your boss comes to question you about it, tell them "Hey ya know, sometimes outcomes just can't be controlled."

Coaches, GMs and players are all hired to do a job. When they produce poor results, they get fired, and nobody cares if they thought it was going to turn out better when they got started.

The whole notion is ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Here's a suggestion: Go screw up something major on your job that costs your employer a huge amount of money. Then when your boss comes to question you about it, tell them "Hey ya know, sometimes outcomes just can't be controlled."

Coaches, GMs and players are all hired to do a job. When they produce poor results, they get fired, and nobody cares if they thought it was going to turn out better when they got started.

The whole notion is ridiculous.

What's absolutely hilarious about that is that I'm my own boss, and I have made huge mistakes that cost myself huge amounts of money... and you know what?  I'd do it all again. My business approach has brought me quite a bit of success in life.

You clearly have no personal experience running a business or being in a leadership role.

16 minutes ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

What's absolutely hilarious about that is that I'm my own boss, and I have made huge mistakes that cost myself huge amounts of money... and you know what?  I'd do it all again. My business approach has brought me quite a bit of success in life.

You clearly have no personal experience running a business or being in a leadership role.

Yeah, I'm sure all of that's 100% true :eyeroll:

Regardless, I wouldn't care if you're President of the United States. There's no GM in the league that's going to take a spectacular failure of a season and just say "Well, you tried."

I'm gonna hope you're trolling at this point because this is one of the stupidest arguments I've ever seen.

6 hours ago, stbugs said:

Are you serious on the draft? I think 2018 was easily better. Maybe 2019 will get better, but right now it’s all about Burns. Thank god he didn’t go earlier. Could you imagine if Little was our pick at 16? Maybe we luck into Winovich but we need to thank the draft gods stocking the DL this year and making the Redskins and Falcons reach. Giants did too, but that appears to have been a good call.

I’ll add that if you are combining FA and draft to call it the best, then I get you. I think the 2019 FAs were fantastic. I only hope they all work out but on paper a great job and made up for the draft that had one bright spot and some big question marks. 

I've ALWAYS hated Hurney's past draft drafts except for one pick. Two weeks before I came to terms with drafting a QB, past time and they liked the guy. I've said a few times this draft will be based on Little. Every meeting/visit/interview possible the panthers had with Little. I went back and looked at players drafted after 37, I still want Little. Granted I thought he'd put up a better fight for starting, but understand the issues for rookie OL coming into the Grown-ass men league. I agree if burns weren't there there's a chance Little would have been pick 16. Dillard, Tillery, and Bradberry would be in consideration too.
I agree with you on the fifth-round pick too, I would have picked Mack Wilson, Joe Jackson, D'andre Walker and even your guy Charles Omenihu. A scouts praise and watching scarlet operate have cooled my jets.  I always thought with where the league is&going, Hurney got 2 legit DE/OLBs and 2 guys that can play LT. Just seemed Hurney did lots of extra work on each pick, he worked his plan after planning his work. 

Combined with the great signing at bargain prices in a insane market, it was the best off-season for Hurney. For the 2018 draft, I agreed with Moore, Smith, Thomas and Norton. Hated the DJack pick, didnt think he could tackle at 180 LBs and remain healthy. Way wrong and hes one tough guy too. I wanted Adren Key(bad) or Ronnie Harrison WAY MORE than Gaulden(surprised hes still here). Thomas was fine form a value point, hes just very raw and still is. Carter seem to have a UDFA ranking by many. I didnt know about the guy, just remember checking up on him and for a few days he was the only drafted player on wiki not to have a page. But he proved enough to be a top ST/backup(I still like Smith over him). Hurney needed to have great back-to-back drafts, and waaaay early returns have shown promise. 2017 is looking awful good too.

On 9/5/2019 at 11:56 PM, Mr. Scot said:

Because GMs are judged by the team as a whole, not just the draft picks you liked.

Keeping Gano over Butker was a mistake. The Poe signing was borderline useless. We traded for Torrey Smith and paid him a lot better money than he was worth. And the drafting "like a pro" is pretty exaggerated.

It's generally understood that if the team tanks this season, Rivera and Hurneyare likely both gone, and yes they will deserve to be.

If the team tanks they should be gone.  Our schedule looks easier and Brees is a year older, Falcons also finished 7-9 with a healthy QB and Bucs are not there yet. If we finish below .500 I would be the first person to call for a change.

Archived