• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Welcome to Ron and Marty's final chance

Jeremy Igo

On 9/3/2019 at 2:04 PM, MHS831 said:

it all started around the pie chart presser.  The one when JR basically spanked Darrin Gant in front of everyone and hit on Morgan Fogherty.  It showed me a crazy man.  A few days later, Andrew Luck decided to return to Stanford. We had the first pick. 

image.png.4e50ef2faf53d5510135de0def23dc2f.png

Ah man, totally forgot about this JR presser. Whew what an embarrassment. Anyone know where I can locate the video?

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't think anyone in the league other than Marty Hurney considered Jake Delhomme a franchise QB during his career. I have nothing but respect for Jake but he isn't the kind of QB Cam is. Cam is a legit franchise QB. Jake was not.

If you could blend the two that would be fun

6 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Well he was a passer last year before injury and was on pace to have better numbers than his mvp year. 

No doubt, reason I said top 6-8 qb money, I just can’t see cam pressing to be the highest paid qb, as long as we don’t lowball him and pay him his worth I think we don’t have a issue. It’s definitely going to be in the 30-34 mil a year range 

Bottom line you can’t evaluate a gm based off what a head coach does on the field. Can’t help it that 2013 was the season riverboat Ron showed up because his job was on the line after he saw hurney get canned, and actually stopped playing scared football. Gotta evaluate them separately, just basing if off win/loss is just lazy 

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Okay, you just don't have any point. Understood.

The moment the scoreboard is switched on the goal is to win...winning is what matters --- it is the ruler used measure output.

Either Jake & Cam are both franchise QB's...

...or neither are.

Your choice.

I also gave Ron a lot of room for the 2-14 team he inhered and rookie QB starting. 

Im at my witts end and his recent comment about "I dont know how to evaluate the QB position"  made me ready to move on. Ron is/was a great DC and thats whats he is. Shula and Turner have had full control of the O. Its a QB run league, I want someone who knows the most important spot in all of sports. 

Hurney just had the best off-season and draft in his history, but much like Ron...Im ready for new leadership. 

18 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That'd be like evaluating a player based only on his contract year. Or, for that matter, on a year when he was injured.

You have to take in the whole body of work. Picking and choosing to only evaluate certain years is how bad decisions get made.

Let’s look at it from Teppers position.  He has been here one year.  He observed Hurney draft like a pro and get cheap and needed free agents.  Why would he fire him?   

As Tepper is mostly familiar with new and improved Hurney, the last year is the most relevant to Hurney’s future.

18 hours ago, stbugs said:

Keep Butker and get rid of Gano before wasting an extra $14M in cap space. Select Ronnie Harrison instead of Gaulden or use Gaulden’s pick and 88 to move up for Justin Reid. Sit tight and take Little at 47 and keep 77 to get Davis or Dieter at G or stay at 37 and take Ford or Risner to be guard and/or RT in future. I’m not sold on Little over say extending Williams. Ignoring LG in general and not going after a solid FS. Also, instead of Grier and maybe Miller, I wish we took some you g DT/NT/3-4 DE types of guys. This was an extremely deep DL draft and a solid safety/guard draft (as was 2018) and we didn’t take any of them.

2017 FA was poo (Poe’s deal + Smith is about as much as we paid Matt Kalil with about the same return). 2018 draft was great, could have been epic. 2019 draft is still up in the air, but I almost think it’s as likely to be a late Hurney 1.0 Burns and meh draft as it is anything close to 2017/2018.

Don't get me wrong, I’m pretty happy with him but saying there’s nothing else he could have done isn’t true and many of those (Butker, Reid/Harrison, Risner/Ford/G, etc.) were discussed a ton in here. 

Hindsight is 20/20.  Virtually every decision he's made has been applauded by most on this board.  I'm not saying they've all worked out, but they've pretty much all been smart, responsible decisions.

I can go back to last week and not have enough fingers and toes to count the number of risks I took that didn't pay off, but I'd make them all again if I had the chance.  Sometimes even good decisions don't play out well.  That's life.

3 hours ago, GoPanthers123 said:

Let’s look at it from Teppers position.  He has been here one year.  He observed Hurney draft like a pro and get cheap and needed free agents.  Why would he fire him?   

As Tepper is mostly familiar with new and improved Hurney, the last year is the most relevant to Hurney’s future.

Because GMs are judged by the team as a whole, not just the draft picks you liked.

Keeping Gano over Butker was a mistake. The Poe signing was borderline useless. We traded for Torrey Smith and paid him a lot better money than he was worth. And the drafting "like a pro" is pretty exaggerated.

It's generally understood that if the team tanks this season, Rivera and Hurneyare likely both gone, and yes they will deserve to be.

1 hour ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

Hindsight is 20/20.  Virtually every decision he's made has been applauded by most on this board.  I'm not saying they've all worked out, but they've pretty much all been smart, responsible decisions.

I can go back to last week and not have enough fingers and toes to count the number of risks I took that didn't pay off, but I'd make them all again if I had the chance.  Sometimes even good decisions don't play out well.  That's life.

I'm pretty sure nobody gives a sh-t whether decisions were "applauded on this board".

Archived