• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Talking Rams... What do you know?

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

That they're damn good.

And yes, coaching is a legitimate concern. You've got a young hotshot "outside the box" thinker in McVay going against traditionalist Rivera, who's running a different scheme than before.

On the flipside, we're facing a defensive coordinator who absolutely dismantled us in the Super Bowl. The good news there though is that we're not trotting out Mike Shula to play chess with him.

I'm pretty sure Norv Turner and Wade Phillips have faced each other their fair share of times. Might not be a bad research project to look those games up.

(no, I'm not doing it; get one of the youngsters) :eyeroll:

A young hotshot coach who managed to score three points in the Superbowl.  We managed more than that against a better defense.

I think that the Rams managed to stockpile a lot of talent last year thru drafts and free agent signings, and that turned Mcvay from a decent to good coach to one who won the NFC.  Remains to be seen if he keeps it going or they shot their load so to speak.

9 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

A young hotshot coach who managed to score three points in the Superbowl.  We managed more than that against a better defense.

I think that the Rams managed to stockpile a lot of talent last year thru drafts and free agent signings, and that turned Mcvay from a decent to good coach to one who won the NFC.  Remains to be seen if he keeps it going or they shot their load so to speak.

To be fair, going against us isn't really equivalent to going against Belichick.

Truth be told though, Wade Phillips concerns me way more than Sean McVay does, especially with question marks on our offensive line.

A little Super Bowl hangover on their part certainly wouldn't hurt us.

They want to put up a bunch of points early to force you to play catch up. With Peters and Talib they want to suffocate you from the outside, makes it difficult to make big plays. Have to utilize the middle of the field and get chunk plays. Wade Phillips probably licking his chops knowing how to put pressure on Cam. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

To be fair, going against us isn't really equivalent to going against Belichick.

Truth be told though, Wade Phillips concerns me way more than Sean McVay does, especially with question marks on our offensive line.

A little Super Bowl hangover on their part certainly wouldn't hurt us.

Wade Phillips doesn't worry me.  Its the combination of talent and coaching that is the concern.  The last time we faced Phillips in a regular season game, we beat his team (Texans) easily.  This defense isn't as talented as the one we faced in the SB, but its probably better than the Texans were.  Regardless, it will be tough test.

14 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm pretty sure Norv Turner and Wade Phillips have faced each other their fair share of times. Might not be a bad research project to look those games up.

With either man as either DC/OC or HC:

• 1992 Norv (Cowboys) 31 - Wade (Broncos) 27
  • 1996 Wade (Bills) 38 - Norv (Washington) 13
  • 1999 Wade (Bills) 34 - Norv (Washington) 17
  • 2004 Wade (Falcons) 35- Norv (Raiders) 10
  • 2005 Wade (Chargers) 27 - Norv (Raiders) 14
  • 2005 Wade (Chargers) 34 - Norv (Raiders) 10
  • 2006 Wade (Chargers) 48 - Norv (49ers) 19
  • 2008 Norv (Chargers) 20 - Wade (Cowboys) 17 *Norv had a DC named Ron Rivera
  • 2015 Wade (Broncos) 23 - Norv (Vikings) 20

Norv is 2-7 against Wade. 1 win in their first meeting, the other with Ron as his DC. 

As a bonus, Cam has faced Wade three times and won once. 

• 2011 Cam 28 Wade 13
  • 2015 sorry you know this one
  • 2016 Wade 21 Cam 20 

I think we will keep their offense in check.  Goff, compared to how he performed against man, struggled against zone defenses.  We've predominantly played zone under Rivera, although it will be interesting to see how much that changes in the 3-4 and with him play-calling.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019/01/22/the-all-22-how-patriots-pressure-could-make-life-miserable-for-jared-goff/

For example, 9 of his 12 interceptions last year were against zone coverage.  Deadspin had an article up shortly after the Super Bowl and in it, they explained how one of the reasons the Patriots were so effective was because they were able to check out of defensive plays to counter what the Rams usually do (hurry up to the LOS and check into a different play).  Kuechly is arguably the best LB in football when it comes to reading the alignment pre-snap and checking into a better play.  

What I'm most excited about and what gives me the most confidence is our front seven vs their offensive line.  Goff struggled against pressure, especially down the stretch.  We've always been willing to blitz and we have some very good pass rushers.  Whitworth vs Burns and Addison will be fun - Whitworth took a step back last season and is 37 years old.  Burns and Addison possess the athleticism necessary to cause him to have an off game.

If the Rams have success, I think it's going to be attacking our safeties which they have always done well against defenses under McVay.  Still, I like our defense vs their offense.

Now our offense vs their defense on the other hand... really so much of it will depend on Cam.  I think we can take advantage of their secondary, but not if Newton is timid.

Just now, ImaginaryKev said:

Marcus Peters can't cover man to man bc he has no discipline whatsoever

Test him with Curtis deep

I do think we should take a deep shot in the first couple of plays if for no other reasons than to show teams we can. From about week 8 on everyone played us knowing Cam couldn't throw it over their heads. 

To say the Rams are overrated is stupid.

I know everyone thinks Phillips has Cam's number but if we had an offensive coordinator that could make in game adjustments we would have won SB50.

We got robbed on the Peyton Manning farewell tour.  You take away half of the bogus calls we are in the game to the end.

Phillips and Rivera are great DC.

It will be a battle but I think we are going to show the preseason was just that preseason of vanilla BS.

PANTHERS WIN!!!!

I'm not worried about Wade Phillips. The thought that Wade Phillips has the blueprint from the SB to beat us is so wrong. The game has changed so much that if he tries to use that blueprint he'll be giving us 15 yard penalty unsportsmanlike conducts all day long. Look at some of last year's scores. They let the 49ers score 30 and 34 in their 2 games. Eagles beat them with 43. They let the Falcons beat them with 26 and that was with the Falcons' sh!tty oline. Redskins beat them with 27 without their starting QB. The Turners need to convince Cam to get to the line with plenty of time on the clock to see the defense (by him and Pardis) and change up the play (or at least the look) at the last second and to vary the snap count often. Phillip's SB defense depended on knowing the snap count.

On the other side of the ball, I'm more worried with our defense playing new schemes and getting everyone on the same page. Stopping the run and long 3rd downs is key. We absolutely need to get off the field quickly. Don't forget, though, Reid and Irwin have played the Rams twice a year for a long time. Boston has also played in the NFC West for the Cardinals. That's on our side. Then, of course, there's Kuechly. Communication will be the key too.

This game comes down to big plays and turnovers more than ever. We have to hang onto the ball. I see the 1st quarter slow with everyone feeling everything out then exploding for 3 quarters. We got this.

Archived