• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ray Ray McCloud

Jeremy Igo

4 hours ago, SJTG4 said:

unpopular opinion our WR group isin't as good as people are making it out to be...

In terms of talent and proven production, its better than it has been in years past. But I tend to agree. If we had a possession WR on the opposite side of Samuel and Moore in the slot, we would be looking better. 

14 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

In terms of talent and proven production, its better than it has been in years past. But I tend to agree. If we had a possession WR on the opposite side of Samuel and Moore in the slot, we would be looking better. 

Wright is a possession receiver. He may not be tall but he is unquestionably a possession guy. Hogan too, to a degree.

8 minutes ago, NYPantherFan said:

Wright and Hogan. Olsen is a possession receiver. CMC is a possession receiver.

The pressure is on the two starters to do a lot and play to their potential immediately. They both are top 40 draft picks and have shown a lot in limited duty, so it's solid reasoning for high expectations. CMC is pretty much the slot wr anyway, we need other guys who can get open underneath and keep the chains moving, those three guys are the big play threats. The TEs being good options makes us potentially great at the skill positions overall, but we gotta protect QB1

Ray Ray IMO is the definition of the great all around athlete.  Pretty sure he went to Clemson to play RB.  But was a WR there.  Returned kicks.  Last season at Clemson they even played him at DB.   Not sure we can expect much from him.  Probably a good body to have during the week though. 

I actually think this will be the best WR group we have had in a decade.  Biggest problem last year was Smith, Funchess being our main guys early on and only working in Moore/Samuel.   Some of that was just understandable very early...but we didn’t use them enough.  2 legit playmakers and I can’t recall a time in our history where we really had 2 on the field at WR. That isn’t a knock up on Moose/89.  As they were great.  Best duo we have had. Just never felt Moose was more possession than playmaker (despite his one crazy season)

19 hours ago, SJTG4 said:

unpopular opinion our WR group isin't as good as people are making it out to be...

I just don't see it. Moore has proven to be a legit playmaker! IMO, Samuel has the skills to be the most prolific playmaker on the team, bordering on uncoverable if Cam hits him on time. 

Wright, though not a legit starter by any means, has really proven to be a damned good third wheel, especially when left alone with most slot corners (or most of the opposition's CB3). 

I think that the lesson here is that Hogan is being underrated by Panthers fans. Perhaps all those advanced analytics talking about his ability to get open are on the money. Or, at least that's what the coaches believe from watching him and/or analyzing his film. 

So, IMO, we are one legit WR too thin. And maybe one WR with upside too thin, but I think our WR group is good from a skills standpoint. The only way I see them taking an unfair hit---where all the I-told-you-so mis-analyzers will come out I'm force---is if Cam goes down and offensive flow and efficiency falls apart.

Archived