• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Roster Moves - Saturday Edition

Jeremy Igo

23 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Butler tested really well athletically for how big he is but he lacks fire. Looks like he’s just going through the motions collecting a paycheck. It’s a shame. 

His on field play vs. inferior college competition said excellent athlete. His actual workouts said JAG. Turns out he was just a big fish in a small pond.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/vernon-butler?id=2555243

9 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

What did you see from him that makes you think this?

Just looked more athletic, fluid, seemed to be more than capable as a blocker, and appeared to have good hands and YAC-ability.  I've not really seen any one thing that Manhertz excels at in his time here.

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Just looked more athletic, fluid, seemed to be more than capable as a blocker, and appeared to have good hands and YAC-ability.  I've not really seen any one thing that Manhertz excels at in his time here.

I think Manhertz is seen as a better blocking TE.  Ian is more a more balanced player, he's clearly #2.

Preseason is a really, REALLY imperfect tool for evaluation.

There are always guys who stand out against second and third stringers who aren't really good enough to play against first stringers.

There are also frequently guys who suffer because they're playing alongside third and fourth stringers but would look better if they were surrounded by better talent.

There are guys who make big splash plays in preseason but disappear in the regular season, and guys who are steady but unspectacular and therefore don't get noticed.

And there's no easy way to differentiate between any of these. You basically just have to watch and learn.

So bottom line, don't fall into the trap of giving too much credence to preseason highlights... or lowlights for that matter. You've got to be able to put it all in context.

10 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

I think Manhertz is seen as a better blocking TE.  Ian is more a more balanced player, he's clearly #2.

Yeah, I know Manhertz is regarded as a good blocker, but he just seems to get beat a lot as a blocker for that to be his strength. 

Archived