• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Roster Moves - Saturday Edition

Jeremy Igo

7 hours ago, Marguide said:

All of that is very true.

And you could argue with the selection when they were drafted; we all agree it's largely a crapshoot.

But given the 90 players we had on the field this year, it's hard to argue that these guys didn't deserve a spot, or that they were only hanging around  because Marty wanted to justify their original draft pick. And that is what was suggested in your original comment.

Not really.

Every single NFL roster consists of star players, really good players, okay players, role players and JAGs.

Do the JAGs, the okay players and the role players deserve to be on an NFL roster? Technically yes, but they're also nothing special and easily replaceable. And because of the time factor, some of them will only deserve to be on an NFL roster for a year or two before being replaced my someone who might be better or who might be just the same.

Regardless though, the original point of my statement was that a GM (any GM) is more likely to keep someone he drafted even if there's someone else similar or even slightly better ability up against them for the roster spot.

Would you disagree with this?

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Not really.

Every single NFL roster consists of star players, really good players, okay players, role players and JAGs.

Do the JAGs, the okay players and the role players deserve to be on an NFL roster? Technically yes, but they're also nothing special and easily replaceable. And because of the time factor, some of them will only deserve to be on an NFL roster for a year or two before being replaced my someone who might be better or who might be just the same.

Regardless though, the original point of my statement was that a GM (any GM) is more likely to keep someone he drafted even if there's someone else similar or even slightly better ability up against them for the roster spot.

Would you disagree with this?

In general, no, I don't disagree with that. It's only natural they would tend to favor their guys.

But in this specific case, I think most would agree there were not better selections to be kept instead, so suggesting it was bias that made Marty choose his guys is off-base.

40 minutes ago, Marguide said:

In general, no, I don't disagree with that. It's only natural they would tend to favor their guys.

But in this specific case, I think most would agree there were not better selections to be kept instead, so suggesting it was bias that made Marty choose his guys is off-base.

You really think Rashaan Gaulden is anything special? Or the backup linebackers that looked like hot garbage this preseason?

I'm not suggesting Marty is unique in thid. Every GM does it. That's why I don't buy the narrative that "made the roster" equals "good player". The flipside is actually also true. "Cut" doesn't necessarily equal "inferior player".

Truth be told, fans do it too. Some guy from the seventh round makes the squad and we're all ready to talk about him being a steal, a diamond in the rough or whatever when in reality he's just a JAG who happened to make the squad.

Like I said, the jury still out on everybody, but the only guys I see who've done anything much to distinguish themselves are the ones I mentioned. The rest are just JAGs until proven otherwise.

The vast majority of lower round picks are. Fans just tend to think the ones that make our team are different 

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

You really think Rashaan Gaulden is anything special? Or the backup linebackers that looked like hot garbage this preseason?

I'm not suggesting Marty is unique in thid. Every GM does it. That's why I don't buy the narrative that "made the roster" equals "good player". The flipside is actually also true. "Cut" doesn't necessarily equal "inferior player".

Truth be told, fans do it too. Some guy from the seventh round makes the squad and we're all ready to talk about him being a steal, a diamond in the rough or whatever when in reality he's just a JAG who happened to make the squad.

Like I said, the jury still out on everybody, but the only guys I see who've done anything much to distinguish themselves are the ones I mentioned. The rest are just JAGs until proven otherwise.

The vast majority of lower round picks are. Fans just tend to think the ones that make our team are different 

You have written a lot of words to evade a simple question...who would you have kept on the roster instead of these JAG's?

We all know you don't like Marty. Perhaps it's your bias that's showing, not his.

9 minutes ago, Marguide said:

You have written a lot of words to evade a simple question...who would you have kept on the roster instead of these JAG's?

We all know you don't like Marty. Perhaps it's your bias that's showing, not his.

Not evading the question. It's not pertinent to the point I'm making.

Heck, I'm not really even talking about Hurney here. That's you reading into it.

(go back to my second paragraph)

Archived