• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Roster Moves - Saturday Edition

Jeremy Igo

7 hours ago, bull123 said:

So...how many draft picks from Hurney last two yrs are on roster today vs gettleman in his last two years?

Gettleman 2016:

Butler, Bradberry

[gone: Worley, Sanchez, Sandland] 

2017:

CMC, Samuel, Moton, Armah

[gone: Hall, Elder, Butker]

Marty: 2018

DJ, Donte, Gaulden, Thomas, Haynes, Carter, Smith

[gone: Norton]

2019: Burns, Little, Grier, Miller, Scarlett, Daley

gone: Godwin (at least for now...)

4 hours ago, Td said:

Best guesses:

Seymour to IR on Sunday

waiver CB signed to take spot

Bonnafon KR, PR, ST, WR6 gets a jersey W1

Holyfield lasts to week 2 cut and signed to PS

new OT signed in opened roster spot

Norris resigned by week 8 a la Bersin as an injury replacement 

Sounds pretty plausible.

8 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Unlike Gettleman, Hurney doesn't like to cut late round draft picks, even 7th rounders.  Just like the Elder experiment, had he not been a drafted player, he'd been gone a couple season ago.   Gettleman treated 6th and 7th rounders like undrafted FAs, if they don't cut the mustard then why create spots for them?  I'm not a Gettleman fan by any stretch, but on that point I agree with him.  Godwin looked okay, but he wasn't going anywhere.  Even if he did get cut initially, he was most definitely going to the PS.

Edit:  Ooops, news is moving really fast right now!  Nevermind.....

Elder was drafted by Gettleman, and was hurt his rookie season. What did you expect to happen with him?

The Wake Utah State game was best. 

Heisman trophy candidate qb for Utah State throws for four hundred yards, but three picks.  Wake qb throws for 430 yards and no picks.  Neither team lead by more than 7 points at anytime. Wake sealed the game with a int with 25 seconds left.  

The Wake/UNC game should be interesting this year, and not just because it is two conference teams playing a non conference game.   

8 hours ago, ellis said:

Well, here’s your 18 class. 

92D9D1BA-6F9C-469C-91F0-B47DAE1AEE55.jpeg

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't really take that too seriously as a measurement given that the guys who drafted them are also the guys who decide whether or not to keep them.

Fair point.

But of the ones that made our roster, which would you have moved on from?

It looks like a pretty solid list to me (sans Norton).

35 minutes ago, Marguide said:

Fair point.

But of the ones that made our roster, which would you have moved on from?

It looks like a pretty solid list to me (sans Norton).

Moore, Jackson and to a lesser degree Thomas are the only ones that have distinguished themselves as being more than "just a guy" so far, but as someone else mentioned it's way too soon to say anything definitive about any one of them. And if we're being honest, that's also true of the 2017 class.

I've mentioned it before, but the thing about both drafting and free agency is that it's not just finding somebody who's good right now. It's finding somebody that's going to be good for a while. That's not so easy.

Take Mike Mitchell, for example. Did he earn a decent contract in the great season that he had with us? Arguably yes, but unfortunately for the Steelers it turned out one great season was really all that he had in him.

On the draft side, there's Keary Colbert. After his rookie season, we thought we had a star on our hands, but boy did that star fade quick. There's plenty of debate to be had about why it did, but the undeniable fact is that it did.

Evaluating how good a player is at this moment is relatively easy compared to the task of trying to predict just how long they're going to stay good. That's the part of being a coach or GM where you're basically being asked to predict the future.

Good luck with that.

Some guys do a better job of it than others, but I can't think of anybody -Belichick included - who nails it all the time.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

Moore, Jackson and to a lesser degree Thomas are the only ones that have distinguished themselves as being more than "just a guy" so far, but as someone else mentioned it's way too soon to say anything definitive about any one of them. And if we're being honest, that's also true of the 2017 class.

I've mentioned it before, but the thing about both drafting and free agency is that it's not just finding somebody who's good right now. It's finding somebody that's going to be good for a while. That's not so easy.

Take Mike Mitchell, for example. Did he earn a decent contract in the great season that he had with us? Arguably yes, but unfortunately for the Steelers it turned out one great season was really all that he had in him.

On the draft side, there's Keary Colbert. After his rookie season, we thought we had a star on our hands, but boy did that star fade quick. There's plenty of debate to be had about why it did, but the undeniable fact is that it did.

Evaluating how good a player is at this moment is relatively easy compared to the task of trying to predict just how long they're going to stay good. That's the part of being a coach or GM where you're basically being asked to predict the future.

Good luck with that.

Some guys do a better job of it than others, but I can't think of anybody -Belichick included - who nails it all the time.

There’s are fairly prevalent theory out there that no one is really that much better at drafting than anyone else. Some variation sure but hit rates on picks are all generally within 5% of each other. The ones that have the most success are the ones that give themselves the most chances. I don’t know if I fully subscribe to that theory but one of my biggest complaints with Gettleman was his low volume drafting. High volume has been shown to be far more successful than trading up to get “your guys” and using extra picks to do it.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

All of that is very true.

And you could argue with the selection when they were drafted; we all agree it's largely a crapshoot.

But given the 90 players we had on the field this year, it's hard to argue that these guys didn't deserve a spot, or that they were only hanging around  because Marty wanted to justify their original draft pick. And that is what was suggested in your original comment.

2 hours ago, Bartin said:

There’s are fairly prevalent theory out there that no one is really that much better at drafting than anyone else. Some variation sure but hit rates on picks are all generally within 5% of each other. The ones that have the most success are the ones that give themselves the most chances. I don’t know if I fully subscribe to that theory but one of my biggest complaints with Gettleman was his low volume drafting. High volume has been shown to be far more successful than trading up to get “your guys” and using extra picks to do it.

Yup, for a four or five year period, Panthers had fewest total picks of any team, IIRC. Only 5 picks in 2016, I think... injuries factor in too. More picks is better, seems pretty clear. Marty seems to get that. Even though he traded up for Little, he then traded down later to snag us an extra pick.

Archived