• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Roster Moves - Saturday Edition

Jeremy Igo

Just now, RoaringRiot said:

Much less likely than Holyfield. Out of the gate anyone. A 7th round WR with some PR abilities is easier to stash for a few days. Remember this is fluid. 

I kind of felt like a decision would have to be made between an extra RB or an extra WR.  I just feel both guys showed enough to interest other teams if we tried to sneak them on PS.  I hope you're right and we're able to get him back.

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I kind of felt like a decision would have to be made between an extra RB or an extra WR.  I just feel both guys showed enough to interest other teams if we tried to sneak them on PS.  I hope you're right and we're able to get him back.

The Panthers think Holyfield gets instantly snatched. Godwin less likely. So they hold Holyfield for a few days while teams are signing players cut. Then cut Holyfield, say Tuesday, if he clears waivers he goes to PS. Then they can bring up Godwin or Cox. 

Makes sense to me 

11 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

I disagree with you on this.  I think Godwin has some talent, especially for a 7th Rounder.  I think he can develop into a solid possession receiver.  

My concern is that he doesn't have the high-end speed or burst needed to be a great return man, and that was his path to make the team, at least this year.

I hope we do sign him to the practice squad.  It's certainly possible a team signs him, but I don't think it's a definite by any stretch.

I respect that.  My opinion was based on the preseason, he showed reliable hands, consistent separation and ability to get open, great route running, and really, really good return man.  I know he isn't a burner, but where I disagree with you is that I think he shows great burst and short-area quickness...  it's that 6th gear that he lacks, and that's where I come back into agreement with you -that inability to pull all the way away is his one glaring weakness.  

Still, there's a lot if successful, and sought-after receivers with the exact same profile, and that's why I worry we won't get him back.  He really didn't look like a 7th rounder to me...  but there was a risk involved whether it was him or Holyfield that we tried to stash...

Knee-jerk reactions and observations as of now (realizing they may change):

-Brandon Greene made the roster, a player nobody really was talking about

-Depth behind CMC is super scary (to me anyway)

-We have more LBs on the roster than the entire depth of the OL (10 versus 9)

-Colin Jones and Gualden are one play away from being our starting safeties

-Despite not being that good and chronically injured, Seymour somehow made the roster

6 minutes ago, RoaringRiot said:

The Panthers think Holyfield gets instantly snatched. Godwin less likely. So they hold Holyfield for a few days while teams are signing players cut. Then cut Holyfield, say Tuesday, if he clears waivers he goes to PS. Then they can bring up Godwin or Cox. 

Makes sense to me 

Possible.

If one of the teams he performed well against in preseason sees his name on the waiver wire though, anything's possible.

Archived