• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers Cuts thread

Jeremy Igo

Yes, there was no way 6 was making the team. And Allen earned it at camp. They didn’t just plug him in at QB2 because of the Saints game. As pedestrian as he’s looked in the games, he looked solid in Spartanburg. It gave him the edge.

They won’t cut Grier. They were never going to. General managers covet every draft pick, especially highly-publicized quarterback picks. I’m willing to let the professionals (coaching staff) play it out. He looks very much like a third-round pick, and I think folks were expecting more for some reason. 

Jourdan Rodrigue Retweeted Jourdan Rodrigue

Per @TomPelissero, Heinicke has been cut. Last night in the locker room he was earnest and calm, but did seem to expect it. “I’m trying not to think about it too much.” Panthers will keep 3 QBs, a source confirmed late last night, so appears Cam, Allen and Grier is the group.

More

Man.... this one hurts! I don’t know where to begin but gonna keep it short. Gonna miss all of you! Best locker room full of guys I’ve ever been with.. hold it down this year fellas.. and as always #KeepPounding

He could be a skill player on ST, he’s athletic enough to play another position.  Maybe not durable enough, but he has great athleticism. 

But no, he’s definitely not your long-term answer at quarterback.

Back to the durability: that’s a major issue for coaches. Your availability is as important as your ability, as Bill Parcells would say. Almost every time I watched 6 play, he exposed himself to injury in the run game or was exposed to it from holding the ball too long (An admirable trait by the way, sort of the opposite of Grier). Point is, he was always getting hurt. Whether that’s his fault or not, it’s a fact. I’m sure that had some bearing on things. 

I think that’s enough from me about the fourth string quarterback. Hope he ends up working out somewhere else. 

Jourdan Rodrigue Retweeted Ian Rapoport

This could indicate that Elliott won the nickel job. Team knows it needs outside CB depth and tried working CB Elder there, but might have decided they will get more consistency from Seymour/Cockrell in the long run specifically there. I see Elder landing a nickel job somewhere.

Jourdan Rodrigue added,

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
The #Panthers cuts are now coming, as they released DT Corn Elder, source said. A 2017 5th rounder.

Archived