• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers Cuts thread

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Couldn't we have just cut Gano and saved a couple mil? Overthecap says post June 1 would have had some cap savings 

I thought he had 5 million dead cap this year? 3 million the next. Don't want to pay that. 

Hopefully he just retires. 

I do like this approach of releasing these guys now... the teams know for the most part who they want to keep... it gives the players a better chance to find other work, and it allows the team to focus on other teams cuts and rounding out the bottom of the roster.

I remember the Fox days where is was like a state secret and they tried to postpone it as long as possible.  I've never understood what competitive advantage they thought they were really gaining.

4 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Couldn't we have just cut Gano and saved a couple mil? Overthecap says post June 1 would have had some cap savings 

I think it has to do with the fact that he is injured. I’m not 100% on the rules here but I think we are obligated to IR him or give him an injury settlement of some kind if we did cut him.

7 minutes ago, Bartin said:

I think it has to do with the fact that he is injured. I’m not 100% on the rules here but I think we are obligated to IR him or give him an injury settlement of some kind if we did cut him.

That is true... I don't think you can outright release an injured player... I don't think Gano injury is truly season-ending, so it will probably be best for both parties to reach an injury settlement once he is healthy.

Gano made some big kicks for us... When you look around the league and the games other kickers have cost their teams, it brings it more in focus.

Good find for the team in Slye... he has a massive leg, and has been very accurate thus far.

Long-term who know?   Kickers are notoriously finicky, but Slye has the talent to be in the NFL

Archived