• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Torrey Smith - Keep him or cut him?

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I was fine with the trade but mainly because I just wanted Worley gone THAT bad. Dude was straight turrible.

I didn’t care about Worley. Like you said, good riddance. But I knew Hurney wouldn’t take advantage of the no guaranteed money on Smiths contract. Which he didn’t. Just paid him. 

I’m still not positive he gave Smith 1M guaranteed on his new deal. If he did, well it should be expected by now. Either way, he shouldn’t be on this team at 3M. 

Let's say either Moore or Samuel are out with an injury. Of the likely WRs left (Hogan, Wright, Smith, Godwin), who do you want on the field in a critical situation?

I'm not a big fan of Smith's, but he was brought in to be a deep threat in a year when the QB couldn't throw the ball 20 yards. I know of at least a couple of big catches he had last year to keep the Panthers alive. I'm just not sure any of the others are as trustworthy in big situations.

1 minute ago, Raleigh PF said:

Let's say either Moore or Samuel are out with an injury. Of the likely WRs left (Hogan, Wright, Smith, Godwin), who do you want on the field in a critical situation?

I'm not a big fan of Smith's, but he was brought in to be a deep threat in a year when the QB couldn't throw the ball 20 yards. I know of at least a couple of big catches he had last year to keep the Panthers alive. I'm just not sure any of the others are as trustworthy in big situations.

I’m a 1.000x more confident in Wright or Hogan than Smith. 

A deep threat who has lost his speed and has the worst hands in the NFL. Why am I trusting him over anybody? 

Cut him and keep:

Moore

Samuel

Wright

Hogan

Godwin - PR/KR with decent upside as a WR. I'm betting he'll settle in soon enough.

Levrone - Kid has good hands that has flashed in the preseason.

Two up and coming guys, two vets, and two rookies to develop without worry of being scooped up from the waiver wire or the PS. I don't feel Smith has done enough to supplant a single one of these guys so far, and I'll admit to a slight bias on the last one, but he's made the most of his chances. I've honestly not even noticed when Smith is in the game so far this preseason, and as a vet, that should tell you a lot.

Archived