• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eh, I think the defense has looked pretty damn good

Jeremy Igo

22 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

All of the starters played together for the first time on Thursday. Before you can game plan pressure you have to see how they do in their one on one matchups.  Did you really expect the defense to be great automatically playing a new scheme. Belicheck is not installing a new scheme. So Bill won the preseason. In two weeks we all start 0-0.

I was talking about the offense. The oline has had two weeks together. The only starters that haven’t played on offense are cmac cam and Olsen. 

And I never said anything about the defense in this thread but in the other  I said I think we’re fine. A lot of those chunk plays were just us not wrapping up. But we saw good pressure around the qb and burns looks like he’s gonna be a star in this league.

14 minutes ago, hepcat said:

If it weren’t for holding penalties and Tom Brady working in a rookie receiver who made many mistakes running his routes, the Patriots offense would have mopped the floor with the Panthers defense. The 3-4 allows too many holes and forces some of the best players on the Panthers defense to be space eaters. 

And if it weren't for out penalties, we would have put more points on the board.   

I do believe it will take us some time to adjust defensively, but its best to wait for real games before making any judgement.  Personally, I think we could struggle for the irst 5 or 6 games.  

I've been impressed with the defense.  There is a lot of talent across the board.   Our interior defensive linemen and linebackers are near the top of the NFL.  Teams are going to find it really difficult to beat us with lots of short yardage throws.

D held them to 10 because of 2 outstanding series:

1) they went for it on 4th and less than a yard, near mid-field -- and our D-line stuffed it.

2) they moved down the field to a 1st and goal at our 10.  In rapid succession, they got moved backwards to the point of having to try a 40some yard FG -- and missed it.

These are effort plays/series that bode well for the future, IMO.

6 minutes ago, CatTower said:

I've been impressed with the defense.  There is a lot of talent across the board.   Our interior defensive linemen and linebackers are near the top of the NFL.  Teams are going to find it really difficult to beat us with lots of short yardage throws.

I know we hype our front a lot. But Bradberry and Jackson are really shaping up to be lockdown corners. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I think they could have if they really planned for it. 

And getting pressure on the Patriots is hard anyway.  I wouldn't use that as criteria for determining if a team's pass rush is good or not.

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

All of the starters played together for the first time on Thursday. Before you can game plan pressure you have to see how they do in their one on one matchups.  Did you really expect the defense to be great automatically playing a new scheme. Belicheck is not installing a new scheme. So Bill won the preseason. In two weeks we all start 0-0.

Patriots will start as the defending champs 0-0 we will start as a team that didn't even make the playoffs 0-0. The Defending champs took pre season more serious than us.

53 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I was talking about the offense. The oline has had two weeks together. The only starters that haven’t played on offense are cmac cam and Olsen. 

And I never said anything about the defense in this thread but in the other  I said I think we’re fine. A lot of those chunk plays were just us not wrapping up. But we saw good pressure around the qb and burns looks like he’s gonna be a star in this league.

The offensive line did not get too manhandled in one on one matchups. The problem was blitz pickups which wasn't likely part of the gameplanning. You are doing more installation and basics than you are blitz pickups.

1 minute ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Patriots will start as the defending champs 0-0 we will start as a team that didn't even make the playoffs 0-0. The Defending champs took pre season more serious than us.

That is true. So they won the preseason as long as we come out firing in the regular season it makes no difference 

16 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Sometimes a 15 yard penalty isnt so bad if it makes a receiver hesitant to go over the middle

It's two different positions but I'm reminded of Peppers blasting Rodgers into another dimension as he was stepping out of bounds at Green Bay in 2008.  The game was tied, it was 15 yards and an automatic first down on a crucial drive late in the game, so a classic "stupid" penalty at a terrible time.  Rodgers popped up and was beating his chest but the hit seemed to rattle the entire team.  They subsequently got stuffed I think at the 1 and chose to go for a field goal to go up 3 instead of punching it in on 4th down.  DeAngelo got in on the next drive and the Packers imploded when they got the ball back.

56 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

It's two different positions but I'm reminded of Peppers blasting Rodgers into another dimension as he was stepping out of bounds at Green Bay in 2008.  The game was tied, it was 15 yards and an automatic first down on a crucial drive late in the game, so a classic "stupid" penalty at a terrible time.  Rodgers popped up and was beating his chest but the hit seemed to rattle the entire team.  They subsequently got stuffed I think at the 1 and chose to go for a field goal to go up 3 instead of punching it in on 4th down.  DeAngelo got in on the next drive and the Packers imploded when they got the ball back.

about 3/4 of the way through the vid

Archived