• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Letting Kids Quit Sports

Skack25

Without going into a ton of detail, my 8 year went from super pumped about playing football to absolutely hating it after one practice.  I certainly don't intend to let him give it up after one practice, but what are your thoughts on letting kids quit sports (or other activities) without finishing out the season?

5 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

Go to his next practice. There are some crappy coaches out there.

this...and some jackass kids who make life miserable and are allowed to be by crappy coaches.

there's no way I would force my kids to stick with something that is supposed to be fun when all the fun is sucked out of it by others. they'll have to deal with it later on for sure, but they don't need to do it now. they've got plenty of time to learn to deal with it. right now they just need to have fun while they can.

But the other side of that coin is your kid not forgetting you made him continue to do something he absolutely hates.

But, yeah, go to his next practice. Could be something as simple as him not being comfortable wearing pads or his helmet doesn't fit right. Or it could be a jerk teammate or coach. Or he's doing something like blocking, which most kids don't like... too many possibilities.

I used to coach Pop Warner, 7 to 9 year olds. The first week of practice was just basic walkthroughs, to see who could play what position. Players aren't allowed helmets or pads without X hours of conditioning. If your son doesn't have a good reason after one practice, I'd definately go and film practice.

Is it Pop Warner? Or some other county-type league?

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Also, make sure you aren't making your kid play a sport because you want him/her to. 

The over-emphasis on sports for our kids probably isn't very healthy over the long term.

too many parents have tried to live vicariously through their kids or depend on their kids' successes for their own validation as parents. 

my general rule is that if my kids start something.  They finish it.   That said, I am a firm believer their are exceptions to all rules in life. 

I'd first figure out what they disliked.  Look at seeing how that could be addressed.  

But I have an 8 year old.  He loves football.  His view of football at 8.  But this time of year? In the south? He would be miserable at his current age out there doing work and drills.  He would be wanting to have fun. My personal belief is a lot of kids simply won't find actual football fun at a young age. 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but some kids just aren't cut out for the physicality of football. 

And that's not a bad thing. I've seen kids quit the first day of football when they were 9 and then go on to become fantastic basketball/baseball players - D1 level talents!

In general though, quitting is definitely a learned behavior. And the more you do it, the easier it gets. Don't make it easy for him to quit. But don't make him engage in activity he isn't cut out for. And if you do decide to let him quit this time, don't let it be an option the next time he plays a sport, joins a club, etc.

Just my advice from experience. Good luck and enjoy him at 8 while you're still his hero. My 18 year old son goes off to college on Friday and I have no idea where the time went.

48 minutes ago, rayzor said:

too many parents have tried to live vicariously through their kids or depend on their kids' successes for their own validation as parents. 

You nailed it. I used to volunteer to coach little league soccer. Between the parents who were convinced their kids were stars, the parents who were living vicariously and helicopterly through them and those who just dropped the kids off for two hours (sometimes three or four) of free babysitting, I just gave up.

Just my .02

Making an 8year old or a 80 year old endure something they don’t want to endure will end in bad results.  That said, take it seriously but go thru the process of understanding why.  If his reasons are valid then go thru it with him.  If the issues are not able to be fixed then fine.  Just so he knows that it isn’t as easy as pressing reset and dad will take care of it.  Kids need to know that parents do “sacrifice” for them and there are repercussions to changing decisions.  Let them learn and they will grow up better IMO.  

Again. Just my.02

Archived