• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are these shirts getting us extra yards?

Jeremy Igo

Could possibly slow a strong runner like DJ down too by making it easier to get and maintain a grip on him as opposed to it being easier to break the grip on the other Jerseys with less stretch.

I see your point too. 

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Seems silly, but, these stretchy shirts are a thing now. The cotton shirts have far less give and probably slow the runner down quite a bit more. 

I really do think the stretch is getting us an extra yard or so as opposed to cotton ones being grabbed. 

Carolina-Panthers-12.jpg

So, how much of that massive 3.9 yards per play was the benefit obtained from the shirt?

I’ve noticed a couple plays where a defender grabbed hold of the stretchy undershirt. In the case last week I felt that our player could have broken away from it if it wasn’t for the stretch. I think it’s bad for yardage as it allows the shirt to absorb the shock of the offensive player pulling away from the defender instead of the defender’s fingers. A non stretchy shirt, the first thing to give would be the fingers. This week looked the same. I see no advantage to us. 

Archived