• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In which Tepper could not be more different than Richardson

Jeremy Igo

I love what Tepper's doing right now, but I honestly don't think you can compare current Tepper with 2017 Richardson.

I have heard Richardson used to be much more engaged with fans in the early years, and I would guess his involvement on the football side was greater too.  Even in recent years he certainly knew enough about the roster to get guys like Tre Boston and Marcus Ball cut for their "social activism."

So let's talk about Tepper, yes, and what we like, or don't like, about what he's doing. But continual comparisons to JR seem unnecessary.

Richardson was good early on (although I suspect he has always been a racist), but he clearly lost it after his heart transplant.  I am grateful for his vision and work in getting a team (which was much harder in 1993 for Charlotte than it would be now when this area was much smaller).

That being said, he did set up a culture of reverence that bordered on a plantation owner's mentality with players, coaches, and ultimately the fans.

Even though I was wary about the new ownership, I certainly was ready to turn the page on Richardson.  Tepper was the right man to truly bring this team into the 21st century and make the right decisions (and spend the accompanying money) to make sure there is no reason this team cannot bring a Lombardi to the Carolinas.

4 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Another case of the grass is always greener. I'm sure Richardson was utterly clueless about his team and could really have cared less.  Typical with today's crowd, revisionist history based what their biases are.  Again, the hate for Richardson runs very deep on this board and it's not remotely watered down.  The man had his flaws, but the chance for a pot shot is never missed when the opportunity presents itself.  If some of you have a  man-crush on Tepper, GREAT, but consistently trolling Richardson as means of comparison is getting tiresome.

Tepper will almost assuredly make some mistake in his personal/professional life while the owner of this team or at the very least, make an extremely unpopular move with the fan base.  I just wonder if the vitriol and utter contempt will be the same?  It's a rhetorical question, I already know the answer.

I can assure you that if it turns out Tepper is a serial sexual harasser and probable racist then I'll withdraw my support

Archived