• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers at Chicago Bears - Winners and Losers

Jeremy Igo

10 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Was not able to watch the beginning of the game last night. Does anyone have who our starting OL was this go round?

Pretty sure it was (left to right)

Little, Daley, Larsen, Hearn, Greene. 

It was annoying TV never announced lineups or substitutions.  Thank God for Twitter and the beat reporters.

3 hours ago, Varking said:

I don't have a dog in this fight. I can only pull up stats on Slye from 2017:

15 of 22 for a rate of 68%

5 of 6 from 20-29

6 of 8 from 30 to 39

2 of 5 from 40-49.

2 of 3 from 50+ with a career long of 50 for both his makes.

He was perfect on extra points that year and was the only year he was perfect on extra points. From another site I got these for his career which also matches the above statline from Fox. 

NEVER attempted a field in 4 years of 1-19 yards. 

29 of 30 from 20-29

26 of 32 from 30-39

20 of 31 from 40-49

2 of 11 from 50+.

https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/players/joey-slye-slye0002

He also missed an extra point late every year except his senior year where he only played 10 games compared to 13 or 14 every other season. 

Now that's useful context!  Thanks for digging it up and sharing it.  Adding another layer of context from my brief searching revealed that he tended to miss in batches, indeed getting the Yips as mentioned before.  One such devastating case was his final season when he had a lot of external talk and attention regarding VT's all time scoring record.  Here's what I know, Gano is solid, happy to have him, he is overpaid and has also proven to be a liability under pressure AT times.  I expect Slye has no chance to make this team, Butker didn't either.  If Slye has indeed put the time in on his accuracy, which last nights performance certainly looked good, then he has a few more preseason games to make another roster.  Lot of ifs to fill for him, but he cashed in on his first opportunity. 

Sigh. This thread needs to be retitled. 

"Endless Gano Debate"

There's a place for it, but I'd kind of like to be able to focus on those who played last night, not someone who didn't.

My take on Winners from last night:

Burns

Haynes

Smith

Godwin

Bonnafon

Gaulden

Slye

Others who looked decent:

Cox, Holyfield, Levrone, CAP

Guys who didn't look great:

Butler, Norris, Larsen.

Was surprised that Larsen looked so bad given all the games he started.  Maybe it was due to playing with rookies next to him?

13 hours ago, CRA said:

I feel ready to declare Butler the worst first round pick in Panther history.  

*excluding the murderer as his off field actions are what give him that award 

Wasn't Rashard Anderson a 1st? I'm not sure but off the top of my head he was, if so, I'm gonna roll with him as our worst 1st.

Haynes was the player of the game & the biggest winner with his quickness, speed & relentless motor.

Burns looks the part of a first rounder & was an easy winner,was was his Spiderman stance. Can't wait to see more of it.

Godwin was solid! Would like to see him with the ones on occasion as the slot guy, or in 4 WR sets.

Andre Smith didn't hurt himself at all. He should probably make the team over Norris (who was a loser for my money).

I got my eye on Site, but, to me, a couple of those kicks were a little shaky. Too close to the right goalpost.

Grier shook the cobwebs off. Once he actually learns what he's doing, I still say he's the heir apparent.

Butler is sub-meh IMO---JAG's JAG!

I don't yet see the post-game hype of Holyfield. He's the epitome of a JAG. I'm not calling him a loser, but he certainly isn't z winner either in my book. I was more surprised and marginally impressed with Bonnafon.

Someone mentioned Devrone. Maybe PS bound. Maybe that's a win for him.

32 minutes ago, trueblade said:

One factor no one has mentioned in the Gano discussion is his health. Gano didn't even make the trip to Chicago. What's ailing him, and could it last until the regular season? 

Apparently it's the knee on his non-kicking leg. Same injury that caused him to miss end of season last year. 

Ron says he has "no concern" but given this injury recurring, I'd be a bit concerned. I'll be curious to hear whether Gano is kicking at all this week.

6 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Apparently it's the knee on his non-kicking leg. Same injury that caused him to miss end of season last year. 

Ron says he has "no concern" but given this injury recurring, I'd be a bit concerned. I'll be curious to hear whether Gano is kicking at all this week.

the guy seems to have a lot of lower extremity injuries.  didn't he have a foot problem the season before last season ?

On 8/9/2019 at 7:51 AM, raz said:

i lost because i had to hear mick mixon talk about ron's ample chest again and puked in my mouth a little.  there was another time he said something about inches - and it didn't go south, but the anticipation of the homoerotic comments that were to come cringed me so hard

Ample man boobs more like it

Archived