• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers at Chicago Bears - Winners and Losers

Jeremy Igo

7 hours ago, ellis said:

I’m actually doing a write up on the game right now. I don’t have a winners and losers piece, but I don’t disagree with much of your list. 

I would put #3 in the “meh” category. He did what he had to do after the interception to settle himself down and take what the defense gave him. He does toss a lot of check downs. That’s good and bad, probably more good in your first game.

There’s some pretty damn good depth at punt returner. Godwin obviously has the skills. I doubt he misses the cut on this team. Mickens has big game experience from Jacksonville doing this, and didn’t look too bad last night. 83 Damion Jeanpiere, a guy I’ve liked at camp, one back for 20 yards, but it was negated by a flag that had no impact on his return. I still give him credit from a scouting perspective for a very above average return.

That was a dominant special teams performance. The rookie made all the field goals and extra points. Palardy was solid again.

Carolina out-gained Chicago in PR yardage: 131 to -3. It doesn’t get much better than that. 

Agreed the Special teams coach of Chicago was like

mr bean wtf GIF

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Slye made 72% of his FGs in college.  Gano was at 92%.  Now granted, Slye kicked 4 and Gano 1...but even if you cherry pick Slye's best season it was only 76%.

Please quit quoting stats without context.  Slye's misses may very well be from extra point range and if they are then it worth comparing....maybe.  Slye clearly is younger and developing, quite unfair to compare that against a NFL vet.  Otherwise, provide context, did he miss a lot of long attempts, short attempts, were kicks blocked?  All % does is illustrate it didn't go through the uprights with no explanation as to why.  He's getting NFL interest for a REASON.  With that said, when misses happen also matter.  I don't really give two shits if a guy is at 92% if he can't sack up when it matters.  Gano is writing a pretty decent history of missing important kicks.

6 minutes ago, parker said:

Mixon was horrible.  I think a lobotomized Gary Busey could have had more insight.  It was so bad, I had rather have heard Troy Aikman and Joe Buck call the game.

Mick Mixon referring to Ron Riviera last night "...arms crossed below his bountiful chest..."

11 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

Please quit quoting stats without context.  Slye's misses may very well be from extra point range and if they are then it worth comparing....maybe.  Slye clearly is younger and developing, quite unfair to compare that against a NFL vet.  Otherwise, provide context, did he miss a lot of long attempts, short attempts, were kicks blocked?  All % does is illustrate it didn't go through the uprights with no explanation as to why.  He's getting NFL interest for a REASON.  With that said, when misses happen also matter.  I don't really give two shits if a guy is at 92% if he can't sack up when it matters.  Gano is writing a pretty decent history of missing important kicks.

If you are going to debate stats at least try to cite at least one in your attempt.

Here are the highlights...for the most part, i thought overall the secondary played well...

Clifton Duck looks like a pretty good player...I think Hurney is going to stay away from App Players after the whiff on Armanti

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VB9znk9kU68" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just now, KneelingCamFan said:

Here are the highlights...for the most part, i thought overall the secondary played well...

Clifton Duck looks like a pretty good player...I think Hurney is going to stay away from App Players after the whiff on Armanti

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VB9znk9kU68" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll just post the link...

Highlights

Gano being 92% in college and what he is now, truthfully boom or bust, is possibly an indicator that college percentages aren't the end all be all.

But throwing out what Slye did at VT to discredit a very solid night on Thursday just seems bizarre for a team desperate for an infusion of talented depth.

1 hour ago, Newtcase said:

https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/players/joey-slye-slye0002

So let's see under 40 he is around 88%

After that forget it.

Now from college fg range yeah he was on point. And a touchback machine..... It's the kickoffs that are getting him looks. Has powerful leg for sure.

Waiting for this spin that he fits Ron's philosophy of punting over 45 yard fg attempts

8 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Gano being 92% in college and what he is now, truthfully boom or bust, is possibly an indicator that college percentages aren't the end all be all.

But throwing out what Slye did at VT to discredit a very solid night on Thursday just seems bizarre for a team desperate for an infusion of talented depth.

I'm not trying to discredit him. I'm just not willing to pile on Gano and root for the replacement of him for someone that kicked in one preseason game.  

Only brought up his college numbers to show he pretty much was the same dude all of college.   And that, is basically his kicking history.   And what we got. 

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Mick Mixon referring to Ron Riviera last night "...arms crossed below his bountiful chest..."

I audibly uttered to no one in particular, "did he just say bountiful chest?".

Mixon is one of the final things Tepper needs to expunge from the JR era.

8 hours ago, mjligon said:

It’s a shame he’s on a team that is too obsessed with average joe graham gano to make a move at kicker

63 yard field goal for the win? 

Jesus you'd think Panthers fans wouldn't be happy with a Hall of Fame kicker on the roster. Get over it. Gano, by and large, is very reliable and had the highest percentage of made kicks a couple of years ago. 

1 hour ago, Newtcase said:

I don't have a dog in this fight. I can only pull up stats on Slye from 2017:

15 of 22 for a rate of 68%

5 of 6 from 20-29

6 of 8 from 30 to 39

2 of 5 from 40-49.

2 of 3 from 50+ with a career long of 50 for both his makes.

He was perfect on extra points that year and was the only year he was perfect on extra points. From another site I got these for his career which also matches the above statline from Fox. 

NEVER attempted a field in 4 years of 1-19 yards. 

29 of 30 from 20-29

26 of 32 from 30-39

20 of 31 from 40-49

2 of 11 from 50+.

https://www.footballdb.com/college-football/players/joey-slye-slye0002

He also missed an extra point late every year except his senior year where he only played 10 games compared to 13 or 14 every other season. 

Archived